Indonesian resources

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Re: Indonesian resources

Postby Adrianslont » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:48 pm

Speakeasy wrote:
Adrianslont wrote: I can’t say these look very inviting when you look inside and find only typed vocabulary lists ... The Australian military has its own language school and also members of the defence forces who are on track to become officers but attending regular universities who sometimes study Indonesian.
Thank you for dropping a line. Still, we’re worlds apart! Whenever I happen upon a set of vintage language-learning materials, irrespective of the target language involved, my limbs begin to tremble like those of a dope fiend.

As to the RAAF Indonesian Course (1982), the description provided by the eBay seller reads: “folders containing the course notes and word lists”, which I would generally understand to mean the basic sentences, short dialogues, glossaries, and notes used in support of the classroom instruction which took place at the RAAF Language School. The breadth of the collection of course books in the photograph suggests a fairly substantial introductory course. However, as the Australian military does not have resources matching those of the American military, I doubt that their language courses are as in-depth as those of the DLI. I would go even further by surmising that audio recordings were probably not prepared to accompany the course books covered by this offer.

Had these manuals been prepared for a German course, I would have snapped them up (OCD). The RAAF Indonesian Course manuals have got to be better than any contemporary materials (sic: a hard-and-fast tenet of any true vintage language-learning materials fetishist). It is beyond me how you can resist the temptation.

Yes, one would hope and expect that they contain more than wordlists in the 17 volumes - but the seller didn’t really make it clear and only showed the wordlists - bad sales techniques!

Audio I think is a “maybe” rather than a “probably not” I am aware of a couple of older Australian produced materials, early 1970s, that had audio. And they were professionally published unlike the military materials.

Because of Australia’s proximity to Indonesia we probably have a greater interest in learning Indonesian and more locally made resources than pretty much everywhere else - though I know that interest has declined in high schools in recent years. And some key academics in James Sneddon and George Quinn. My daughter did two years of Indonesian at Sydney Uni recently and they used their own books. The Air Force materials may be great - who knows?

Sneddon has a grammar reference book and and a workbook that I should probably actually use - but I stubbornly stick to my preferred approach of cartoons, talk shows and podcasts. And visits to Indonesia.

I kind of understand your “fetish” - I like lots of old things myself, mainly popular American music as far back as the 1920s. I’m reluctant to spend lots of money on it, though - especially when no effort has been made to convince me of the quality.

As an aside I actually met three teachers from the Defence Force Language School at a conference about five years ago (just prior to my adult Indo language learning journey) - I spent some time with them at a conference on online learning (no particular language learning focus). One taught Indonesian and Malay, another taught Dari and similar and I can’t remember the third. Nice bunch. They showed me what they were doing online and from memory it was interesting and engaging but had a homemade look about it (like the above-mentioned airforce materials) and I’m pretty sure was a complement to a face to face class.
1 x

Axon
Blue Belt
Languages: Native English, in order of comfort: Mandarin, German, Indonesian,
Spanish, French, Russian,
Cantonese, Vietnamese, Polish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5086

Postby Axon » Sat Jan 02, 2021 11:13 pm

I've just discovered a small collection of short animations in Indonesian with dual soft subtitles in Indonesian and English!

https://www.youtube.com/c/MindblowonTV/videos

It gets better - they accurately transcribe informal Indonesian slang in their subs! The videos are short and the subtitles have more line breaks than may be necessary, but this could be quite a valuable resource for understanding rapid slangy Indonesian.
7 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt

Postby Adrianslont » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:01 am

Axon wrote:I've just discovered a small collection of short animations in Indonesian with dual soft subtitles in Indonesian and English!

https://www.youtube.com/c/MindblowonTV/videos

It gets better - they accurately transcribe informal Indonesian slang in their subs! The videos are short and the subtitles have more line breaks than may be necessary, but this could be quite a valuable resource for understanding rapid slangy Indonesian.

Coincidentally I only very recently discovered the Mindblowon Tahilalats Instagram account - where they publish four panel comics. I had no idea they also did animated cartoons, too.

The language and subtitles are great but yes, rapid!

Thanks.
1 x

Axon
Blue Belt

Postby Axon » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:04 am

This thread may as well be private correspondence between me and Adrianslont - lihatin mas!

Allow me to present my latest find, Cretivox.
https://www.youtube.com/c/Cretivox/videos

We're approaching the pinnacle of Indonesian subbed material by this point.
- natural conversational speech
- accurate transcriptions
- various real-life topics
- long videos
- lots of videos
- soft subtitles (!!!)

In fact, this is the only channel I know of that checks all these boxes. Truly exciting developments in the field!
4 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt

Postby Adrianslont » Wed Jan 20, 2021 11:20 am

:lol: Well, someone has already liked your post before I read it so I’m sure it is of interest to others! And to Indonesian students of the future!

Those videos look great and as you say, they tick all the boxes. Subscribed.

Have I mentioned the SB30 Health YouTube channel? You may be interested in it. It ticks a lot of boxes, too.

In brief:

- Lots of videos of a doctor doing pieces to camera
- many of them have accurate subs, some auto-generated - some accurately transcribed
- it’s standard Indonesian rather than colloquial (well, occasionally colloquial) but I need both
- all videos are about health/nutrition but that’s something I’m interested in. And there’s quite a bit of variety within the health field.

https://youtube.com/c/SB30Health

If we knew each other irl, you would have said, “Lihatin Pak!” :lol: :lol:
1 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:52 pm

Hello Everyone,

I am on the hunt for the audio to a certain Indonesian course. On the information I had gathered from Cornell University, I took the plunge and bought their three volume course Beginning Indonesian Through Self-Instruction by Wolff, et al. The course material is quite good, and very FSI/DLI style, with drills and the like. I love the course books. This is where the tale takes a rather unfortunate turn. The text indicated that a lot of the material is available on tapes (and at one time as a DVD), but the current contact I have had correspondence with at Cornell's LRC has stated that the contains of their materials for BITSI is only a few materials from lesson 2 through to the end. Having looked at the book, and correlated some of the audio files contained in the BISTI audio bundle through the LRC has left me with the conclusion that the audio was either never fully produced, or has been misplaced/lost by the university.

I'm wondering if any kind soul has the audio to share, or can confirm that this is all the audio to be had. I know this is a long shot, but one worth asking.
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

peterbeischmidt
Yellow Belt

Postby peterbeischmidt » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:01 am

księżycowy wrote:Hello Everyone,

I am on the hunt for the audio to a certain Indonesian course. On the information I had gathered from Cornell University, I took the plunge and bought their three volume course Beginning Indonesian Through Self-Instruction by Wolff, et al. The course material is quite good, and very FSI/DLI style, with drills and the like. I love the course books. This is where the tale takes a rather unfortunate turn. The text indicated that a lot of the material is available on tapes (and at one time as a DVD), but the current contact I have had correspondence with at Cornell's LRC has stated that the contains of their materials for BITSI is only a few materials from lesson 2 through to the end. Having looked at the book, and correlated some of the audio files contained in the BISTI audio bundle through the LRC has left me with the conclusion that the audio was either never fully produced, or has been misplaced/lost by the university.

I'm wondering if any kind soul has the audio to share, or can confirm that this is all the audio to be had. I know this is a long shot, but one worth asking.

Have you seen this?
https://sales.lrc.cornell.edu/collectio ... versations
https://sales.lrc.cornell.edu/products/ ... ntal-audio

The description unfortunately doesn't state how long the recordings are.
1 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:06 am

peterbeischmidt wrote:Have you seen this?
https://sales.lrc.cornell.edu/collectio ... versations
https://sales.lrc.cornell.edu/products/ ... ntal-audio

The description unfortunately doesn't state how long the recordings are.

Yes, I've seen those. The second link is what I reference in my above post, which is not the full set of audio for the text. I've actually bought this set, thinking it was the full audio at the time.

The first link is to a separate book called "Indonesian Conversations" by the same author as BITSI.
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Postby Fortheo » Wed May 05, 2021 10:04 am

Adrianslont wrote:.......

The Indonesian Way
I've had a quick look at this course from the University of Hawaii and it looks pretty good. You seem to be able to do it online or download print, audio and premade Anki decks. And all free. If I hadn't started linguaphone I probably would have done this. Looks like quality and it's totally free!

I hope there is someone on the forum who finds that all helpful!

Thanks for this is a great post. Unfortunately, it seems like The Indonesian Way is no longer a free course. I just looked and they're now charging 70usd for access to the pdf and audio/multimedia.
1 x

Axon
Blue Belt

Postby Axon » Sat May 20, 2023 6:10 am

These days I mostly just read Twitter posts and watch the occasional YouTube video in Indonesian, but I happened to notice today that Netflix's Indonesian catalogue has been significantly enhanced since the last time I looked. I'm using the Language Reactor plugin, which lets me search by original language as well as dubbed language.

When I last checked in about 2018 or 2019, there were a handful of Indonesian horror movies I was too afraid to watch, plus The Raid and maybe one other original film. Dubbing consisted of cheap kids' animation and lower-tier live action shows. Now, though, there are quite a few major Indonesian romance and comedy films from the past ten years, including Dilan 1990 and Kartini, two films that were both very well-received when I was living in Indonesia. (Kartini has a lot of dialogue in Javanese, which made it a rather poor choice for my Indonesian professor to show a class of intermediate students, but that's all we got). The ones I browsed through today all had 99% accurate Indonesian closed captions. You couldn't buy that kind of quality in 2017! The only difference between caption and dialogue was in certain rude words and very informal word endings, like where the actor says a word with -in and it's formalized as -kan in the subtitle.

In terms of dubbing, there's now also a wider range, with some major international favorites now getting Indonesian voice tracks. Of course, the dubbing is done by a different company than the Indonesian subtitling, so they're completely different and only line up occasionally. Here's an example from Queen Charlotte:

English line, addressing a doctor: Have you no sense?
Indonesian dub: Dokter tidak tahu? (Don't you know?)
Indonesian sub: Kau gila? (Are you crazy?)

Nevertheless, watching without subs is of course good practice too, and even the mismatched subs aren't a serious impediment to immersion learning. Enjoy!
3 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”