Indonesian resources

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Indonesian resources

Postby rdearman » Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:55 pm

I am looking for an owner for this thread. If you want to manage and update this first post for this language, let me know.
Last edited by Anonymous on Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:30 am, edited 23 times in total.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Daristani
Orange Belt

Re: Indonesian resources

Postby Daristani » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:33 pm

I'm commenting a bit late on this thread because I've been searching my computer files in vain for the old DLI Indonesian Basic Course, which I was pretty sure I had but haven't been able to find.

Back in 2009, Fat-Tony, a member on the "old" HTLAL forum, uploaded a lot of DLI language courses, including Indonesian, for members to download; per my recollection, the Indonesian course was a single and rather lengthy course, rather than the assortment of disparate materials for Indonesian now available on the DLI site (https://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/langua ... an%20SOLT/).

I recall having sent this course to another forum member after Fat-Tony's links had expired. Unfortunately, I can't find it anywhere in my current files, and assume that it somehow went astray in computer crashes, migrating from one computer to another, etc., over the last few years.

I don't know whether or not Fat-Tony is still around very much on this or the older forum, or whether anyone else might have downloaded the Indonesian course at the time, but it may well be that someone on the forum has a copy of these materials that could be made available.

Also, looking at the description of the Indonesian course offered on EBay that Speakeasy found, I suspect that this may well be the original DLI Basic Course. The seller provides no useful information on the origins of the course, but given the brief description buried in all the verbiage ("1578 pages in PDF format and over 29 hours of MP3 audio"), it looks like it might well be a DLI course. In any event, the price is very cheap for that much PDF/MP3 material, even if the seller is profiting from material that might otherwise be in the public domain.
2 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:58 am

I can add a little to this, based on my own Indonesian studies.

Linguaphone
It's from the seventies as there are references to hippies!

There are forty lessons and I used it as my first course, though I was a false beginner. Pretty good first course; there's a story thread over the forty units and the storyline and characters are interesting enough. I think it's well graded and the topics and language are good if a little formal.
Each unit has a conversation of two or three minutes and some audio-lingual exercises. I don't really like drills so edited them out and just used the conversations. I did my own thing with them, listening to them repeatedly in the car, and also reading the pretty good language and cultural notes that come in the book at home. I sometimes did transcribing and sometimes made Anki cards with audio.
After thirty units I got a bit bored with it and just listened to the last ten units in the car.
It served me well but sometimes the voice acting is pretty stilted. Other times it's fine.

Assimil
I haven't been as a methodical with Assimil, mainly because I found something else I prefer.
I did work through about the first twenty units, listening, listening and reading, reading the language and cultural notes. I've listened to later units for practice in the car. I think I will return to it at some point because I think it has something to offer. The language is a little more colloquial than Linguaphone and they even throw in some Javanese.
How did I find it? Well, I managed to use it quite readily despite having what is probably only A2 French. I guess I had some Indonesian by then, though. Some lessons were better than others. Some seemed a little forced in order to cover some language point, others quite natural and occasionally humorous. I liked the voice actors and they sounded more everyday than the Linguaphone actors to me. 100 lessons.

Bahasa Inggris until Studi Di Australia

BIUSDA as I like to abbreviate it is actually an English language course for Indonesians planning to study at university, language college or technical college in Australia. It was broadcast on Radio Australia and is available for download online. Although students of Indonesian are not the intended audience, I have got fantastic use out of it using it to learn Indonesian at an intermediate level.
There are 26 episodes, each 20 minutes long. There are a bunch of characters that are featured throughout in a kind of narrative as they come to Australia, study and do stuff. Each episode has bilingual dialogues, advice for the intending overseas student in Indonesian, an interview with a student about their experiences in Australia and a little pronunciation. Each episode is about 80 per cent Indonesian and the English really doesn't get in the way. Fantastic and free!

http://m.radioaustralia.net.au/indonesi ... -australia

The Indonesian Way
I've had a quick look at this course from the University of Hawaii and it looks pretty good. You seem to be able to do it online or download print, audio and premade Anki decks. And all free. If I hadn't started linguaphone I probably would have done this. Looks like quality and it's totally free!

I hope there is someone on the forum who finds that all helpful!
3 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:22 pm

I forgot to say that Bahasa Inggris untuk Studi di Australia has the bonus of transcripts. This is gold for students of Indonesian as it's basically native speaker podcast material with transcripts and I don't know of any other Indonesian podcast that has them. I only know of news podcasts from SBS in Australia, the Japanese outfit that does various languages and there is an American origin podcast, too. None of them have transcripts. And Indonesia doesn't seem to produce podcasts. If I'm mistaken about that, please put me straight!
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:46 pm

Unpaid Labour ... Yours Perhaps?

A couple of weeks ago, I noticed that there had been increased “chatter” on the language forum concerning audio-lingual courses for a number of languages, including Indonesian. Although I have not studied Indonesian myself and have no particular plans to do so, I decided to open the discussion thread “Indonesian Resources” above.

During my search for materials and links under this topic, I came across the Indonesian audio recordings that are freely available on the Indiana University CeLt Recorded Archives website: http://www.iu.edu/~celtie/indonesian_archive.html. In my communications with the CeLt staff, they advised me that they had an index card record of the origin of these recordings but that they did not have the corresponding textbook. I consulted the Librarian of the Indiana University’s Southeast Asian faculty and they, too, did not have a copy of the textbook, nor apparently do any of the faculty. Between them, they surmised that this was a project that was never completed, possibly for lack of funding. I find this somewhat of a shame as, upon a quick review of the recordings themselves, it becomes abundantly clear that the audio-lingual method was employed. It occurred to me that an opportunity exists to restore a portion of the original textbook through the preparation of a transcript of the Indonesian audio files accompanied by an English translation. Obviously, only someone who possess both languages could prepare such a document … and my thoughts turned to all of you … well, okay, to some of you!

Would anyone be interested in “volunteering” for such a project? I appreciate that it would represent an investment of personal time and we all experience multiple demands on this precious resource. My hope is to find someone who would take on this task and that the resulting document would be offered to the Indiana University for hosting on their website to accompany the audio recordings. So, who’s “all in” on this project? Thank you for your consideration.
2 x

Daristani
Orange Belt

Postby Daristani » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:49 pm

I apologize for reviving such an old thread, but since the heading is "Indonesian resources", I thought this would be a good place to add a couple of items in case they might be useful to people seeking just such resources:

The DLI Basic Indonesian Course cited above has been found and made available online for free and legal download. I noted this in an entry on another thread https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 626#p89626 and now forum stalwart Expugnator has sent the materials to the Yojik site, where they can be downloaded:

https://fsi-languages.yojik.eu/language ... esian.html

To reiterate, this is the Indonesian Basic Course, which is NOT available on the DLI courses website at https://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/langua ... 20courses/

Regarding other public-domain materials, it's evident that the Foreign Service Institute produced an Indonesian Newspaper Reader; this can be downloaded at https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/ED024932.pdf

It seems that FSI produced a two-volume, 60-unit "Indonesian Basic Course" as well in 1959. I see little mention of this on-line, but my local university library seems to have a copy of it in an auxiliary library facility (evidently used for books that don't circulate very often). I'm hoping to get this after Christmas, and if so, will try to scan it for eventual posting on-line, on the assumption that it's in the public domain just like the other FSI courses.

As rare as the books seem to be, the audio is probably even rarer, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the audio Speakeasy found on the Indiana University CeLT website just MIGHT be associated with the FSI course. (The audio-lingual format at least sounds similar, although it appears that the CeLT materials don't extend to the full 60 units of the books.) Whether or not my surmise is valid will only become clear if and when I can get my hands on the books.

In the meantime, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all.
3 x

Daristani
Orange Belt

Postby Daristani » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:21 pm

Further to my above message, I regret to advise that my local university library only has volume two of the FSI "Indonesian Basic Course"; volume one has evidently been missing for quite some time. Accordingly, I can't determine whether the audio on the Indiana University CeLT site goes with this course, and I won't be scanning the book, as volume two without either volume one or the audio seems relatively useless.

Should anyone else be interested in tracking down the books in question, the only other libraries listed as having copies are Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah; the Fuller Theological Seminary Library in Pasadena, California; and the International Islamic University in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, so they don't seem to have been very broadly distributed. The audio is presumably at least as rare.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:22 am

FSI Indonesian Basic Course

Daristani, thank you very much for your efforts in tracking down the FSI Indonesian Basic Course.

Daristani wrote: ... It seems that FSI produced a two-volume, 60-unit "Indonesian Basic Course" as well in 1959. I see little mention of this on-line, but my local university library seems to have a copy of it in an auxiliary library facility (evidently used for books that don't circulate very often). I'm hoping to get this after Christmas, and if so, will try to scan it for eventual posting on-line, on the assumption that it's in the public domain just like the other FSI courses.

As rare as the books seem to be, the audio is probably even rarer, but I have a sneaking suspicion that the audio Speakeasy found on the Indiana University CeLT website just MIGHT be associated with the FSI course. (The audio-lingual format at least sounds similar, although it appears that the CeLT materials don't extend to the full 60 units of the books.) Whether or not my surmise is valid will only become clear if and when I can get my hands on the books ...

Daristani wrote:Further to my above message, I regret to advise that my local university library only has volume two of the FSI "Indonesian Basic Course"; volume one has evidently been missing for quite some time. Accordingly, I can't determine whether the audio on the Indiana University CeLT site goes with this course, and I won't be scanning the book, as volume two without either volume one or the audio seems relatively useless.

Should anyone else be interested in tracking down the books in question, the only other libraries listed as having copies are Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah; the Fuller Theological Seminary Library in Pasadena, California; and the International Islamic University in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, so they don't seem to have been very broadly distributed. The audio is presumably at least as rare.

Indian University CeLT website (Indonesian Resources)
In January 2016, I submitted a request to the Indian University CeLT for information regarding the source of the "Indonesian Basic Course (Bahasa Dialect)" audio files that are available on their website (publisher, author, verification of title, copyright status, et cetera) to which the Language Materials Coordinator replied: “Our old card catalog lists those materials simply as “Intensive Indonesian Program” by Harsono & Baird, 1965. I hope this little bit of information is helpful.” My searches of the internet have not revealed any information on this title.

The CeLT sound files themselves do not seem to identify the title of the course. Rather, they simply begin, in English, as; “Basic sentences, Unit 1” et cetera. There are 15 units in the CeLT collection. These audio files may very well turn out to be those of the FSI Indonesian Basic Course; however, in the absence of the corresponding course manuals and the lack of a transcription, they remain a mystery and of little practical use to would be learners of the language.

EDITED:
Typos.
0 x

abejo
Languages: Indonesian, English

Postby abejo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:23 pm

Hello, everyone

I have been trying to teach Indonesian to some adult learners. After trying some books and audio materials, I found that DLI SOLT I Indonesian a superb resource to help English-speaking learners to learn Bahasa Indonesian. I simply add some introduction to how the language works as far as its word formations, basic sentence patterns and surely its pronunciation. Unfortunately, one pdf file is missing/corrupted from DLI SOLT - that is the manual for module 4 lesson 6. I have tried yojik, livelingua, jlu.wbtrain.com, yumpu.com, and even bought some CD/DVD off ebay without success. I wonder if anybody out there know the right place to find the missing file.

Many thanks in advance.
3 x

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:55 pm

Nickelodeon Bahasa:

1 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”