Duostories

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Amandine
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1/B2), Russian (B1), Romanian (A1, casual playing on Duolingo), Yiddish (ditto)

Duostories

Postby Amandine » Thu Nov 10, 2022 1:41 am

I was alerted today by a reddit post to the existence of Duostories website. https://duostories.org/

For the bigger languages that support them, I've always felt the Duolingo Stories were a really useful resource. I've done a lot of the French ones. But, only a handful of languages have stories so this website is a volunteer effort to translate the stories into other languages. Although not associated with Duolingo in any way and run by volunteers, the FAQ says they do have an agreement with Duo to allow their stories to be translated and there is a Discord server to report mistakes etc that seems very active from my glance at it so those things give me confidence it's a quality effort. Unfortunately it seems like they don't have audio like the official stories (at least the Yiddish ones I looked at didn't), but given how much extra work that must be it's not surprising.

In addition to the Duolingo languages that don't have their own stories on the official site, they have a lot of languages not on Duo including several regional languages like Silesian and Neapolitan (!)

So worth checking out IMHO!

ETA: I looked at the Russian one and there was audio albeit computer generated.
11 x

tritiumoxide
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (B1), Spanish (A2), German (rusty)

Re: Duostories

Postby tritiumoxide » Fri Dec 30, 2022 5:24 am

This is a great find. I love how Norwegian is one of the most complete ones, and with voices too! But I really shouldn't be too surprised, given that Norwegian is arguably the best volunteer course on the site.
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Re: Duostories

Postby Le Baron » Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:05 pm

I just did a few of the Low Saxon (Niedersächsisch) ones. Interesting. Apart from a few vocab items it's very familiar for anyone who knows German and some Dutch or vice-versa..
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”