Best apps to help me to learn Spanish!

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
NancyBeetern
Languages: English, Japanese, Spanish

Best apps to help me to learn Spanish!

Postby NancyBeetern » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:55 pm

Hola everyone!

I'm at the beginning of my journey with Spanish. I'm watching YouTube vids at the moments and do some written exercises. However, when I'm away from home, I would like to have something like an app to help me to learn this language! Would you please recommend me a cool app for that? (but please let it be not Duolinguo)
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Best apps to help me to learn Spanish!

Postby rdearman » Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:43 pm

2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Fri Oct 07, 2022 2:20 pm

Just curious: have you actually tried Duolingo Spanish? If not, and given that you are at the beginning of Spanish as you say, Duolingo Spanish (using a version with the grammar notes, and using the typing rather than word bank option) might be worth a try. It is one of the more robust Duolingo courses.
1 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

NancyBeetern

Postby NancyBeetern » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:46 pm

rdearman wrote:Anki

https://apps.ankiweb.net/

Thank you, I've never heard of this app, so it looks interesting!
0 x

NancyBeetern

Postby NancyBeetern » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:49 pm

lavengro wrote:Just curious: have you actually tried Duolingo Spanish? If not, and given that you are at the beginning of Spanish as you say, Duolingo Spanish (using a version with the grammar notes, and using the typing rather than word bank option) might be worth a try. It is one of the more robust Duolingo courses.

Well, dunno, maybe I used it too much in the past and I just got tired of this app.... That's why I'm looking for something fresh

Btw, has anyone ever heard of language learning app by Vidalingua? I was googling about these best apps to learn Spanish, found this article https://freeappsforme.com/apps-to-learn-spanish/ and they claim that this app is actually the best. Just curious, you know, I've never heard of it, unlike other apps on this list. :D
0 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:54 pm

Kwiziq is quite good, at least in small doses, although I've only used it as an intermediate-to-advanced learner. It does however seem to be aimed at people wanting to move beyond beginner level, but I also don't think I'd recommend Anki for a beginner (unless they have previous experience learning other languages, which it looks like you do, but even at that I'd be careful!) just because it's hard to know what is imporant to focus on when everything is new to you. I feel that something more structured is better at that stage.

I don't have a specific recommendation though. I liked FSI Spanish and I used the PDF and audio on my laptop while I was travelling a few years ago, but that's not always practical and the old-school audiolingual method isn't for everybody. I generally find that traditional courses are better than apps for a serious learner, while apps like DuoLingo are more of an accessory, although for a more casual learner (which is me with German at the moment) using just Duo alongside some input can definitely give you slow but noticable progress.
3 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:03 pm

I would suggest Language Transfer, a great site created by Mihalis Eleftherion - I am working through and enjoying his Complete Spanish web-based materials (and previously, his Complete Greek), but I understand the materials are available via an app as well. (The app link can be found as a link on the right hand side, though it is not very prominently displayed, and I have not tried it.)

If you are familiar with Michel Thomas, you will readily recognize MT's influence on Mihalis' materials. If you were a fan of Michel Thomas' occasional crankiness and exasperation and are looking for more of that, you will be disappointed to see how unrelentingly cheerful and upbeat Mihalis is.

https://www.languagetransfer.org/complete-spanish
5 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

NancyBeetern

Postby NancyBeetern » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:04 pm

garyb wrote:Kwiziq is quite good, at least in small doses, although I've only used it as an intermediate-to-advanced learner. It does however seem to be aimed at people wanting to move beyond beginner level, but I also don't think I'd recommend Anki for a beginner (unless they have previous experience learning other languages, which it looks like you do, but even at that I'd be careful!) just because it's hard to know what is imporant to focus on when everything is new to you. I feel that something more structured is better at that stage.

I don't have a specific recommendation though. I liked FSI Spanish and I used the PDF and audio on my laptop while I was travelling a few years ago, but that's not always practical and the old-school audiolingual method isn't for everybody. I generally find that traditional courses are better than apps for a serious learner, while apps like DuoLingo are more of an accessory, although for a more casual learner (which is me with German at the moment) using just Duo alongside some input can definitely give you slow but noticable progress.

Yep, I am at the beginner level, so that totally works!
1 x

piotr
White Belt
Languages: Polish (N), Colombian Spanish (C2), English (B2), Southern Quechua (B1), Tikuna (A2), and others unworthy of mention here

Postby piotr » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:47 pm

SELF-PROMOTION ;)

lngcnv - as of v1.7.0 it displays the Spanish pronunciation in ten distinct dialects but there will be much more pronunciation variants available in near future. 8-)

It's a long-term project in early development, cross-platform and totally free for everyone for ever. ;)

https://github.com/piotrbajdek/lngcnv
https://crates.io/crates/lngcnv
1 x
Language converter for English, Latin, Polish, Quechua, Spanish, and Tikuna:
https://github.com/piotrbajdek/lngcnv :D

dgc1970
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Postby dgc1970 » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:02 pm

Many libraries let you use an app called Mango for free.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”