Your Favorite Dictionary App

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Your Favorite Dictionary App

Postby Xenops » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:20 pm

What the title says. The NAVER Korean dictionary app is quite good, but I haven’t found the Japanese equivalent. Norwegian ones are sparse from what I’ve found, haven’t tried Danish or Swedish yet.

Please share your favorite dictionary apps. :D
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Your Favorite Dictionary App

Postby iguanamon » Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:03 pm

My favorite dictionary app is adobe pdf reader. When I read on a tablet, I use pdf dictionaries for Catalan, Ladino and Haitian Creole. I use the Ladino dictionary sparingly because I cannot reduce the file size to a level that the tablet's memory can easily deal with searching it. This helps me to deal with unknown words by context. If I really need a word, I make a note of it and come back to it later. Ladino has many influences from other languages. I may have to consult a Turkish dictionary or even the RAE Spanish dictionary on my laptop later on... but I rarely do this.

I mostly don't connect my tablet to the internet. I find the internet to be too much of a distraction from reading. Being disconnected allows me to dedicate my reading time to actually reading. So, since I use adobe pdf to read, I find it easier to use pdf dictionaries when I need them- even if they don't have all the words available. I can stay within the same app and I don't get distracted from my task.
0 x

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Thu Jul 28, 2022 2:33 am

For the actual Kindle I use the dictionaries that come with it but have also purchased additional more comprehensive dictionaries for some languages. As far as the Kindle apps I can access the purchased dictionaries and built-in ones for the iPad and mac. It never occurred to me to look for a dictionary app as I see no use for it in the way I work. If I need to look up something outside of the Kindle/Kindle apps I use DeepL or Linguee.
0 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

nat_kovalenko
Languages: Ukrainian (N), English (B2), Korean (A1), Spanish (beginner)

Postby nat_kovalenko » Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:36 pm

I use MemoWord. There`s over 100 languages in there. Very comfy) And now you can use a promo code 'Studyland' for free premium use for a month

https://memoword.online/en/
0 x

Helena
Languages: My native languages - Russian, I study English, French and Ukrainian languages

Postby Helena » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:36 am

I also use MemoWord. It is very convenient to quickly upload all the necessary vocabulary into the app and learn it later when you have time. Your own training tool, which is always at hand.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”