Babbel for Italian: Grammar introduced in each lecture

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
niceno
Languages: Croatian (N), English (B2), Italian (beginner)

Babbel for Italian: Grammar introduced in each lecture

Postby niceno » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:32 pm

Dear all,

I am learning Italian with Babbel app installed on my Ipad. I will soon finish all the lectures Babbel offers for Italian, and will continue to learn Italian by reading books, studying grammar from books and by talking to Italians whenever I have a chance.

I would like to keep the Babbel app as a reference, to remind myself of certain grammatical concepts as I read the books, but it is impossible to tell from the app which grammatical concept is introduced in each lecture. That makes the app useless as a reference.

However, since I am probably not the first one who ever came across this line of thoughts, I wonder if anyone on this forum has done it, or knows where to find it? What I would like to find is something like:

Lecture 1: definite articles in singular
Lecture 2: definite articles in plural
Lecture 3: indefinite articles in singular

As an example. Any thoughts on that? Any advice?

Cheers
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Babbel for Italian: Grammar introduced in each lecture

Postby rdearman » Thu Jun 16, 2022 9:58 pm

Honestly? I think you'd be better off just buying an Italian grammar book. The benefit being that not only can you use it as a reference, it will probably give a fuller explanation of the grammatical rules than an app.
5 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

niceno
Languages: Croatian (N), English (B2), Italian (beginner)

Postby niceno » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:41 am

Yes, honestly.

As I clearly wrote in my question, I am about to finish all the lectures in the app (which only gets me so far) and will continue by " ... studying grammar from books ...". Nevertheless, I would like to keep the app to revisit the concepts I read from the book, to hear the pronunciation and repeat the drills from the app.
0 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:08 pm

Yep, any grammar book will cover this stuff.

I've never used Babbel but I have a similar issue with Duolingo, especially after they redesigned the whole tree (at least for German) a few months ago and moved away from lessons with scary grammatical names in favour of thematic titles, which was a big step backwards. Instead of a lesson called "Accusative pronouns", there's now one called "Family 3" (not sure if it was really that one; just picking a name out of thin air!) which just happens to be the lesson where they introduce accusative pronouns and also happens to include a few words related to family members, and if I want to go back and revise accusative pronouns I've no idea where to go unless I happen to remember that they came up in the Family 3 lesson. And if I forget how to say "nephew" I'll just look it up in the dictionary.

I think it just shows the importance of using multiple resources. These online resources can be fine for what they are, but don't rely on them solely.
4 x

AC83
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (beginner)

Postby AC83 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:54 am

I’m using Babbel for Spanish and I have noticed that on the web browser version, at least on a laptop, the lessons will list a few topics introduced, including grammatical topics. I don’t believe you see this info on the iOS app (and I assume Android is the same).

I’m sure you could go back and look at the lessons you completed and list the grammar topics listed. It might not catch everything but it should cover most of the big topics. Im actually considering doing the same for Spanish as a way to quickly be able to review a lesson for a specific grammar point in the future, especially if I’m not at home and therefore don’t have grammar books in front of me.
0 x

Snyega
Languages: Russian (N), English
Learning: Latin, Polish, Spanish

Postby Snyega » Thu Sep 14, 2023 7:31 am

I like using Italian Grammar books available at the archive.org - it's accessible on my phone and grammatical topics are easily discoverable.

Here is one example (Beginning Italian grammar by Cioffari, Vincenzo, 1965):
https://archive.org/details/beginningit ... 8/mode/2up
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”