Website for practicing writing in your target language?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
nj24
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B2), Italian (B2), French (B1), Latin, Biblical Hebrew.

Website for practicing writing in your target language?

Postby nj24 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:13 pm

Hi, everyone!

Does anyone know a good website where you can write in your target language and get feedback from native speakers?

I used to love writing in my target languages on the website Lang-8. I'd publish a piece of writing (a book review, poem, blog post) and native speakers would correct it, and I would correct their writings in English in exchange. It was a fantastic site because it was very active, the users were serious language learners, you'd get a ton of corrections, and it was free. Unfortunately, it shut down about six years ago.

Recently, I've been wanting to dust off my writing skills and am looking for a website like that. Do you know of one? Thanks!
1 x

MisterVimes
White Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English, German, Hebrew
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17635

Re: Website for practicing writing in your target language?

Postby MisterVimes » Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:47 pm

Journaly is a great one. Native speakers can give in-line corrections and there's a lovely community there. It's fairly young still, so not every language will get as many corrections. It's worth checking out though!
7 x

nj24
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B2), Italian (B2), French (B1), Latin, Biblical Hebrew.

Postby nj24 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:43 am

Thanks so much! I'll check it out.
1 x

Amandine
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1/B2), Russian (B1), Romanian (A1, casual playing on Duolingo), Yiddish (ditto)

Postby Amandine » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:06 am

There are Write Streak subreddits on Reddit where you can get writing corrected. Of course its hit and miss about the kind of feedback you get (and may not have your language if its a less common one) but its an option.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:59 pm

elingora.com
languagecrush.com
langcorrect.com

There are various options, the value you'll get depends primarily on the size of your TL's community on the given platform. Have a look at a few and try them out.
3 x

nj24
White Belt

Postby nj24 » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:42 pm

Thank you, Amandine and Cavesa!
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”