Question on selling language books

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Question on selling language books

Postby CarlyD » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:34 pm

I have a crazy number of Spanish/German books and wanted to pare down. I'm looking at selling them on eBay, one at a time, and am questioning the amount of work involved for what I'd get.

Does anyone know of a bookstore somewhere (preferably in the US) that would buy a bulk lot of books?
0 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Question on selling language books

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:53 pm

There are a couple of tools to sell in bulk like Ziffit, Bookdeal, etc. but I always found them to not give good returns. I now focus on a few books that may have bigger worth and post those on either Amazon or eBay. Everything else is gifted to friends or brought to language conferences.

We really should get a good exchange going on here.
3 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Herodotean
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby Herodotean » Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:01 pm

There are a few Half Price Books locations in California (where your profile says you are): https://www.hpb.com/all-stores-list. I've sold books to them a time or two. They certainly lowballed me on the value, but you walk away with cash in hand. This was in person, though.
0 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:13 pm

I would try local used bookstores, especially ones that see a lot of traffic. However, whether you’re selling them back or selling them on eBay, don’t expect to get a lot from them. Used books, unless they’re rare, can be a dime a dozen (perhaps literally).
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:03 pm

zenmonkey wrote:There are a couple of tools to sell in bulk like Ziffit, Bookdeal, etc. but I always found them to not give good returns. I now focus on a few books that may have bigger worth and post those on either Amazon or eBay. Everything else is gifted to friends or brought to language conferences.

There is a swap area.

https://forum.language-learners.org/viewforum.php?f=27
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:24 pm

rdearman wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:There are a couple of tools to sell in bulk like Ziffit, Bookdeal, etc. but I always found them to not give good returns. I now focus on a few books that may have bigger worth and post those on either Amazon or eBay. Everything else is gifted to friends or brought to language conferences.

There is a swap area.

Yep, in the back of my mind, I've been wondering for a while why it is underutilized. I think there is a really good case here for building a business not being served by Amazon, Abebooks, and the services I listed...
1 x

Lisa
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), German (intermediate) Idle: French (beginner) Esperanto (beginner) Spanish (was intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10854

Postby Lisa » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:32 pm

On ebay people sell things in groups, so you might reduce the effort by offering several complementary books in one lot. Ebay seems to be more spendy for the shopper, but that might be the overhead.

I've found used book purchasers to be wildly erratic and unpredictable in what they will take and how much they'll give you, from one store to another and one month to another, of the same general mix of books in the same general area. I've been unable to find a pattern.

If I recall, Powell's books used to be able to give you a quote online for what they would pay for a book, if you enter the ISBN number.
2 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Apr 12, 2022 12:26 am

A little research here and I found two apps that may be of interest.

BookScouter - allows you to check price directly on several bulk purchasers at the same time. Usually will get a quote below the used-book market value as you are selling to a bookstore/reseller. But it does allow to organize shipping and seems a simple solution.

PangoBooks - direct selling your books to other people. Nice little app, my test with two books (a common electronics textbook and a popular SF book) lets you set your own price, easy to upload but I'm not sure they have the market size to get sales, you may be stuck with your books for a while. Their search interface (as a buyer) is overly simplified.
3 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:07 pm

For a few years I sold books and videos on Amazon for gas money. Some thoughts.
1. Amazon is your major competitor, so you may not want to let them in on your action.
2. Amazon has a "the customer is always right" policy, so if a customer wants their money back, you have to give it to them, even if years have gone by.
3. If you are selling language CDs or DVDs, keep in mind the customer can copy it, put a scratch on it, and return it for their money back because it's defective.
4. Packaging can be more time-consuming and expensive than you think.
5. Sending stuff by Media Mail is usually the cheapest way, but sometimes First Class is cheaper, expecially for a small item.
6. As Herodotean says, Half-Price books lets you walk out the door with cash, but in my experience their offers are insulting.
7. Selling a lot of books is a hassle, so I don't sell much anymore, but when I do I use eBay, which is mostly pain-free.
8. Etsy may sell books, too, but I've never used it (for anything).
9. Zenmonkey's last two sites mentioned look promising.
10. Good luck!
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Postby CarlyD » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:35 pm

rdearman wrote:There is a swap area.

But you can only use the swap area if you're going to get another book back. I want less books overall. Too bad we don't have a "destash area" where people can move books along, whether by selling or giving them away for the cost of shipping.
3 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”