Learning material for lesser-known Uralic languages

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian, Ukrainian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Learning material for lesser-known Uralic languages

Postby Chung » Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:43 pm

For any Uralophile (or maybe someone wanting an idea for the upcoming 6WC?), I've stumbled on a small collection of learning materials for Uralic languages hosted by COPIUS - Community of Practice in Uralic Studies coordinated by Rogier Blokland of Uppsala University.

Of particular relevance are the ongoing project to create supplementary video lectures for the downloadable course Оҥай марий йылме: A Comprehensive Introduction to the Mari language, a German adaptation of a Soviet-era textbook for Mansi, "Самоучитель мансийского языка", and an incomplete English adaptation of a Soviet-era textbook for Udmurt with accompanying audio and paradigm generator.

As far as I can tell, the remaining 20 videos keyed to the course in Meadow Mari will be recorded throughout the rest of this year while work on the Udmurt materials is to conclude sometime over the next year or so ("in the near future" per the description). Only 10 out of the 25 chapters in the Udmurt textbook are available so far and any questions about that project should be sent to Jeremy Bradley at the University of Vienna.

In slightly related news, the forum at HTLAL is flickering. I was thinking of reviewing the list of Uralic resources that I drew up there a few years ago, and putting it here. If I can't retrieve it easily, I'll need to rummage in my laptop for that list in a Word document or something.
7 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”