Webtoons translated for learners

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian, Ukrainian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Webtoons translated for learners

Postby Chung » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:59 pm

I recently found out something interesting about WEBTOON which is a site for online manhwa or Korean comic strips and print cartoons. Some of the logs here by people studying Korean have mentioned this site before, but of note is that it also includes translations of webtoons for many languages. Several of these have been done as fan translations.

The site can be loaded in English, French, German, Indonesian, Mandarin, Spanish and Thai. Scroll to the bottom of the main page and you'll see a pull-down list for these languages. By choosing a language in this list, the interface will then offer webtoons that are in those languages.

When you want fan translations into other languages, go instead to https://translate.webtoons.com/?language=NONE.

In the upper right above the list of cartoons is a pull-down menu for languages. The link above is set for all languages, but you can click on that link to see if there are fan translations for a specific language. By picking just one language, you'll then see cartoons that have at least part of them in translation. Some languages are better represented than others. For instance, I see that a few cartoons are completely translated already into Farsi and Turkish.

Another way is to go to https://translate.webtoons.com/translate.

Pick first a webtoon that interests you. Despite many webtoons listing 32 languages in green, I couldn't find any with anything near that many fan translations. After choosing a webtoon, you can pick a language in the pull-down menu on the upper left of the list of webtoon installments to see if there's any translation available.

For example, here's page 1 of 6 for the translations for the installments of "Kids Are All Right". Once you choose a language in the upper left, you'd then see under ideal circumstances that every installment is already at 100% translation like this for the fan translations of the webtoon to Italian.

I'm not a big fan of the manga / manhwa aesthetic, and a lot of the webtoons are drama, sci-fi or romance which also aren't my thing. However, a few of them are for "slice-of-life" so reading translations of these could be useful practice for me sooner or later when studying the applicable target language.

Over time, I'll probably add links for any of the webtoons available in (fan) translation here in the lists of resources that I'm monitoring. I'd need to go through the webtoons one-by-one to see what translations are available.
7 x

Wilsom65
Languages: Korean, English

Re: Webtoons translated for learners

Postby Wilsom65 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:43 pm

https://newtoki.co/ webtoons stand out as excellent sources of well-designed and valuable content for readers. Their webtoons consistently deliver high-quality storytelling and artistic merit. Among the various platforms available, I primarily engage with newtokie offerings as they consistently provide deserving and commendable material that enhances the user experience.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”