Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: Netflix for French Learning

Postby Kraut » Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:46 pm

In Central Europe you can receive the national channels of France and italy unscrambled at 5 degrees west ( Eutelsat satellite)

https://en.satexpat.com/coverage/west/5/

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eutelsat_5_West_A
1 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:38 pm

Check out Grace and Frankie. It’s a gentle Netflix sitcom that may be less annoying than a show aimed at the young.
1 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:14 pm

The following is the log I will set up to help me keep held accountable. That and everyone looking over my shoulder should provide me with the incentive when Jan. 1st rolls around and thereafter.

Please note, I won't be posting every day since that would take up too much computer storage space and bore people, but I will keep people advised on a regular basis.

Oral Input Login Sheet
Goal: 50-100 hours

As you can see, I am struggling with the Format of it from an Xcel spreadsheet, but I will keep working on it to improve.

Minutes|| Date || Comprehension || Source Material
60'……… 1/2/22 ……. 5/10….............xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
30'……… 1/3/22 ……. 6/10...............xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
60'……… 1/4/22 ……..6/10 ..............xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
90'……… 1/7/22 ......6/10...............xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
0 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:24 am

e: Netflix for French Learning
Postby Lawyer&Mom » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:38 am
Check out Grace and Frankie. It’s a gentle Netflix sitcom that may be less annoying than a show aimed at the young.
I found the show Grace and Frankie but it is in English. So I switched the language to French.

Do you know of others in original French without dubbing? Many thanks.
0 x

Amandine
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1/B2), Russian (B1), Romanian (A1, casual playing on Duolingo), Yiddish (ditto)

Postby Amandine » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:50 am

Here's a quick list of the French originals on netflix off the top of my head. NB it may be different in your country but I think all/most of these are Netflix originals so should be the same in every country. Sorry for spelling, just about to get on my iTalki lesson so didn't try to get all my accents right, you'll work it out.

Reality - very good for natural speech!
Nailed It - French edition (baking competition)
L'agence - luxury real estate agents in Paris
The Circle -French edition - ok this one is aimed at a young audience and the above two are probably more your style, but in case anyone else is interested this is good for current slang

Le Sommet des Dieux - animated, based on a true story about a mountain climber
Les rois d'arnaques, documentary (this is about crime but its financial crime/scam so not violent or anything I don't think)
Au Service de la France - spy satire/comedy
La revolution - period drama
Le bazar de la charitie - period drama
Mademoiselle de Jonquieres - period drama
Tanks, dans l'enfer des combats - documentary on tanks
Novembre 13 - documentary, this is about the terrorist attacks obviously so you may wish to avoid but its also a pretty important French cultural topic so including it in case it interests. Very well done.
Mytho - comedy/drama, a woman lies about having cancer so her philandering husband will pay attention to her but then has to continue the charade. I remember when I first watched it, I was really shocked by the fact they appear to live in a place that looks just like an American suburb. Never seen these "lotissement" in film/TV before which tends to be either highly urban or highly rural.
8 rue de la humanitie - movie, I haven't watched it but it is set during the pandemic with a good cast so probably worth 2 hours at least

If you are into soccer there are a couple of docs about Griezemann and Anelka. If you want to try some stand up comedy, there are a few specials including Dany Boon, Gad Elmaleh - very hard IMHO to get the French though.
2 x

Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:05 am

Nailed It France is an absolute delight. Highly recommended. Otherwise, with the exception of Dixon pour cent, I was underwhelmed by the original French shows on Netflix and started ordering DVDs directly from France instead. I love, love, love Candice Renoir and there are nine seasons, plenty to sink your teeth into. It is series of murder investigations, but really it’s a well done soap opera. It’s *not* a dark show at all. I wish Netflix had shows like Candice Renoir, but alas it seems to prefer edgier programming. There is a streaming service, SALTO, that runs these kinds of shows, but it is only available in France. So you would need a VPN and a French credit card. I can only dream.
1 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:36 am

Lawyer&Mom wrote:.. with the exception of Dix pour cent, I was underwhelmed by the original French shows on Netflix and started ordering DVDs directly from France instead.
Arte.tv seem to have increased the number of fiction series & films they offer.

I watched some episodes of Candice Renoir after you mentioned it, and I agree, it is good. :-)
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:34 am

Carmody wrote:The following is the log I will set up to help me keep held accountable. That and everyone looking over my shoulder should provide me with the incentive when Jan. 1st rolls around and thereafter.

Please note, I won't be posting every day since that would take up too much computer storage space and bore people, but I will keep people advised on a regular basis.

Oral Input Login Sheet

As you can see, I am struggling with the Format of it from an Xcel spreadsheet, but I will keep working on it to improve.

90'……… 1/7/22 ......6/10...............xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

errr... Do you want me to move this entire thread into the logs' area? Or are we keeping this thread as a resource thread? In which case you'll need to post into your log. (Otherwise it kinda muddies up the resource area)
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Caromarlyse
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1-ish), German (B2/C1-ish), Russian (B1-ish), Portuguese (B1-ish), Welsh (complete beginner), Spanish (in hibernation)
(All levels estimates and given as a guide only)

Postby Caromarlyse » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:20 pm

In case people aren't aware, I thought it worth mentioning TV5 monde plus. You can sign up for free to have access to a library of films and series. I haven't yet made much use of it at all so can't give recommendations, but there is plenty there to browse through.
1 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
French (B1)

Postby Carmody » Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:44 pm

rdearman » Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:34 pm

Carmody wrote:
The following is the log I will set up to help me keep held accountable. That and everyone looking over my shoulder should provide me with the incentive when Jan. 1st rolls around and thereafter.

Oral Input Login Sheet

errr... Do you want me to move this entire thread into the logs' area? Or are we keeping this thread as a resource thread? In which case you'll need to post into your log. (Otherwise it kinda muddies up the resource area)

Sorry Rick; you are right. I moved it to my Log.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”