Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Looking for an app to practice sentences with

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:23 pm

Luk wrote:I've tried to make decks and subdecks with days all prepared in advance but it was too much work and not really practical. In doing it your way it seems to me that you have to be very aware of which sentences are the new ones and which the old ones. I'll need to investigate exactly how Anki deals with the schedule. I forgot to mentioned that I want to practice sentences in both ways--> L1 to L2 and then L2 to L1, with makes it a little more complicate it. I supposed I'll just make and inverse deck separately.

I'm not sure you have to keep track of what's new and old - as long as you set the Again timer to something longer than the supposed 1 minute. Assuming that works, and you only go through the cards once - you'll never see them more than once per day. I still think you can force the program to feed you cards in a certain order, e.g. new before old (or the opposite). And that would work whether you use cards in both directions or just one.

But as RDearman said, you can do all of this without an SRS. Just use your regular spreadsheet program.

Whatever method you choose, good luck (and have fun!)!.
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:55 pm

Luk wrote:a bunch of sentences for 5 days in a row, ...
I was surprise to find out that Anki does not let you do ...

Why are you looking to an SRS flashcard app for non-SRS flashcard scheduling?

My data is always in Excel and not necessarily in Quizlet, so to achieve your non-SRS scheduling, I would probably make 5 copies of a Quizlet deck and prefix them December X:
2021.12.01 verbs
2021.12.02 verbs
2021.12.03 verbs
2021.12.04 verbs
2021.12.05 verbs

and then on, say, Dec 2nd, study all my decks prefixed "2021.12.02"
2021.12.02 verbs
2021.12.02 adjectives

(or whatever bears an earlier date in the case that I'm behind,)
and then delete the deck after studying.
I would name the files YMD such that they sort chronologically, with date before description, etc.

Or have 1 Quizlet deck as usual, but add a "date studied" to the deck name. Then delete after 5th study.
2 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

lusan
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish(Native)
English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Postby lusan » Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:59 pm

Luk wrote:Hello,
basically, what I want is an app like Anki to practice sentences much like Glossika does. I've tried Glossika and really liked it but now I would like to practice with many other sentences that I find every day or in various books and magazines.
In Anki is not possible because you cannot change the algorithm based on the fogetting curve. I want to practice sentences this way: for example, a bunch of sentences for 5 days in a row, and in the second day add a new bunch, and in the 3rd day a new bunch, and so on. In the 5th day we will have the last practice of the first bunch, plus the third practice of the second day, etc. So I need the option to set the schedule the way I want. I was surprise to find out that Anki does not let you do this and asked people in the Anki forums to no result.
I've searched and searched but simply couldn't find anything that helps me do that. I'm thinking going back to learn Python and do it myself but at the moment I don't have much time.
Can anybody help me?

Why? Keep it simple. It is good to stick to the language and no so much on apps.

For memorization? The order is not important. Anki does a good job. Random sentences are great. Just add a bunch of cards into Anki from Reverse, books, etc.

For reading: Use paper. Divide sentences in several groups and have a moving schedule: Read yesterday + today set... etc. I loved this method. I do -5 day moving schedule with my italian repetitions: -5,-4.... + today....
I did something similar for Polish and French. It worked for me.
3 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”