Looking for an app to practice sentences with

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Luk
Languages: English, French, German, and others

Looking for an app to practice sentences with

Postby Luk » Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:30 pm

Hello,
basically, what I want is an app like Anki to practice sentences much like Glossika does. I've tried Glossika and really liked it but now I would like to practice with many other sentences that I find every day or in various books and magazines.
In Anki is not possible because you cannot change the algorithm based on the fogetting curve. I want to practice sentences this way: for example, a bunch of sentences for 5 days in a row, and in the second day add a new bunch, and in the 3rd day a new bunch, and so on. In the 5th day we will have the last practice of the first bunch, plus the third practice of the second day, etc. So I need the option to set the schedule the way I want. I was surprise to find out that Anki does not let you do this and asked people in the Anki forums to no result.
I've searched and searched but simply couldn't find anything that helps me do that. I'm thinking going back to learn Python and do it myself but at the moment I don't have much time.
Can anybody help me?
1 x

SpanishInput
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), Mandarin (HSK 5)

Re: Looking for an app to practice sentences with

Postby SpanishInput » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:19 pm

Hi! Looks like you want to implement a Glossika-style review schedule instead of SRS.

Idea: Why not have one sub-deck per day in Anki, using the date as the subdeck name? This way you could easily delete it once it has run its course.
Regarding the review schedule of 5 consecutive days, you could just go to the deck options › New cars › Steps (in minutes) and type this:
1440 1440 1440 1440 1440
Of course, if you fail a card the 5 day count would be reset.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:34 pm

I'm pretty sure you can edit the settings this way in Anki, or just change the way you use the software.

Something like this: press Again for every sentence, make sure you finish the deck before the Again cards show up again (usually 1 minute, but that's probably tweakable), DO NOT go through the deck once again, and then setup Anki so that a failed card turns into a leech after five failures. Also, don't forget to choose whether new cards should appear before or after the old ones. (Or set the Again delay much longer than 1 minute, especially if you're working with many (new) sentences per day.)

In other words, something like this:
Day 1: 1-10 - press Again on every card.
Day 2: 11-20 then 1-10 - press Again on every card.
Day 3: 21-30 then 11-20 + 1-10 (or 1-20) - press Again on every card.
Day 4: 31-40 then 21-30 + 11-20 + 1-10 (or 1-30) - press Again on every card.
Day 5: 41-50 then 31-40 + 21-30 + 11-20 + 1-10 (or 1-40) - press Again on every card. Batch 1-10 will now have been seen five times, and will be treated as leeches and not be shown again (until you revive them).
Day 6: 51-60 then 41-50 + 31-40 + 21-30 + 11-20 (or 11-50) - press Again on every card. Batch 11-20 will now have been seen five times, and will be treated as leeches and not be shown again (until you revive them).
Day 7: ...
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Jean-Luc
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English & German (C), Italian & Spanish (B), Russian, Chinese, Croatian (A)

Postby Jean-Luc » Sat Nov 20, 2021 4:49 pm

You can find some on internet :
Examples :
Funeasylearn, (my review in French https://labdeslangues.blog/2020/09/08/u ... rand-rare/)
Simplylearn https://simyasolutions.com/simply-learn-languages/
1 x

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:27 pm

This is an extremely simple project if your learn some basic coding... I have learned Python precisely because I wanted to implement my own SRS ideas... and I was able to make many fun and useful (and crazy) projects.

Or you could use paper flashcards and boxes...
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:26 pm

There is this app called "Excel" or a free version of it called "Libreoffice Calc". You can put the sentences in there, and practice as much as you want. Then when you want a new batch you add something called a "worksheet" and you paste the new words in there. When you want to practice the old words you click on the tab called "Sheet 1" and practice those again.

Don't waste your time looking for apps when you could be studying using stuff you already have to hand. :)
6 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Luk

Postby Luk » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:34 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:I'm pretty sure you can edit the settings this way in Anki, or just change the way you use the software.

Something like this: press Again for every sentence, make sure you finish the deck before the Again cards show up again (usually 1 minute, but that's probably tweakable), DO NOT go through the deck once again, and then setup Anki so that a failed card turns into a leech after five failures. Also, don't forget to choose whether new cards should appear before or after the old ones. (Or set the Again delay much longer than 1 minute, especially if you're working with many (new) sentences per day.)

In other words, something like this:
Day 1: 1-10 - press Again on every card.
Day 2: 11-20 then 1-10 - press Again on every card.
Day 3: 21-30 then 11-20 + 1-10 (or 1-20) - press Again on every card.
Day 4: 31-40 then 21-30 + 11-20 + 1-10 (or 1-30) - press Again on every card.
Day 5: 41-50 then 31-40 + 21-30 + 11-20 + 1-10 (or 1-40) - press Again on every card. Batch 1-10 will now have been seen five times, and will be treated as leeches and not be shown again (until you revive them).
Day 6: 51-60 then 41-50 + 31-40 + 21-30 + 11-20 (or 11-50) - press Again on every card. Batch 11-20 will now have been seen five times, and will be treated as leeches and not be shown again (until you revive them).
Day 7: ...

I've tried to make decks and subdecks with days all prepared in advance but it was too much work and not really practical. In doing it your way it seems to me that you have to be very aware of which sentences are the new ones and which the old ones. I'll need to investigate exactly how Anki deals with the schedule. I forgot to mentioned that I want to practice sentences in both ways--> L1 to L2 and then L2 to L1, with makes it a little more complicate it. I supposed I'll just make and inverse deck separately.

But yours it's not a bad idea at all, I'll give it a try. Thanks!
0 x

Luk

Postby Luk » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:35 pm

Jean-Luc wrote:You can find some on internet :
Examples :
Funeasylearn, (my review in French https://labdeslangues.blog/2020/09/08/u ... rand-rare/)
Simplylearn https://simyasolutions.com/simply-learn-languages/

I've tried many and give up searching. I'll try those, thanks!
0 x

Luk

Postby Luk » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:36 pm

白田龍 wrote:This is an extremely simple project if your learn some basic coding... I have learned Python precisely because I wanted to implement my own SRS ideas... and I was able to make many fun and useful (and crazy) projects.

Or you could use paper flashcards and boxes...

Yes, the idea was also to practice something simple in Python ;)
0 x

Luk

Postby Luk » Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:39 pm

rdearman wrote:There is this app called "Excel" or a free version of it called "Libreoffice Calc". You can put the sentences in there, and practice as much as you want. Then when you want a new batch you add something called a "worksheet" and you paste the new words in there. When you want to practice the old words you click on the tab called "Sheet 1" and practice those again.

Don't waste your time looking for apps when you could be studying using stuff you already have to hand. :)

That's why I stopped looking :) I am the only one who thinks that a software like Anki should have this simple feature available? Maybe they want to be known as "the" app of Spaced Repetition. In the forums people didn't like that I was asking to manipulated the schedule.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”