The Nature Method Courses

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: The Nature Method Courses

Postby zenmonkey » Thu May 05, 2022 7:33 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:Persian? Or is this a different editor?
https://books.google.fr/books/about/Per ... edir_esc=y

Note this link does not share the book content.

There is another series of books out there that use "natural method" but are really just phrase books with English phonetics under it. They're not quite the same as how the Nature Method books work. I've looked into a few of them before, and I think this one is part of that series.

Yep, you’re correct. Found and purchased this one.
733E0427-2243-4E23-B3C7-A82B77872004.jpeg

93180054-938E-4F1C-BC25-A66342D72E8C.jpeg

90 pages mostly vocabulary. A few phrases. And 10 pages of grammar.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
6 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

aspartamo
Languages: Spanish(N), English(B2)

Postby aspartamo » Fri May 13, 2022 5:03 am

mokibao wrote:So let's update the recap according to recent developments:

Courses that have been completely digitized: Latin, French, Italian, English, German, Danish

Courses that have been partially digitized: Russian

Courses known to exist: Spanish

Inspired complete courses: Esperanto

Inspired partial courses: Japanese, Ancient Greek, Turkish

German one hasn't been completely digitized
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Fri May 13, 2022 9:38 am

aspartamo wrote:German one hasn't been completely digitized

So there are more than 24 lessons in it? I have lesson 1-24. I've been in contact with the person I got them from, but haven't heard anything back from them recently.
0 x

polllyglot
White Belt
Languages: Latin, French, English

Postby polllyglot » Fri May 20, 2022 11:18 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:
aspartamo wrote:German one hasn't been completely digitized

So there are more than 24 lessons in it? I have lesson 1-24. I've been in contact with the person I got them from, but haven't heard anything back from them recently.

It is 24 chapters just like the Danish one.
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat May 21, 2022 10:16 am

polllyglot wrote:
It is 24 chapters just like the Danish one.

It's actually longer. I've gotten through chapter 36 for German now. There are no more for Danish, though. Or at least there wasn't when I borrowed it from the library -- only the 6 volumes.
1 x

karmamen
Languages: Serbian(N),English(C1),German(beginner)

Postby karmamen » Thu May 26, 2022 10:59 am

What is the best way to use these Nature Method books? Just reading and listening chapter at least 10x and move on to next one?
0 x

Cantab
White Belt
Languages: English (Native)
French (Professional)
Russian (Intermediate)

Postby Cantab » Fri May 27, 2022 9:39 am

karmamen wrote:What is the best way to use these Nature Method books? Just reading and listening chapter at least 10x and move on to next one?

That's what I did with French, whilst also working through the FSI basic course. I highly recommend doing these two courses together. However, if I was to do it again, I would have done the first 20 or so lessons from the Nature Method course before starting FSI basic - the latter is much heavier-going, and it would have been useful to have a stronger foundation before hacking my way through it. Also, don't be afraid to truncate FSI basic audio in audacity for intensive listening, if the drills are too hard to accurately respond to at first.
6 x

polllyglot
White Belt
Languages: Latin, French, English

Postby polllyglot » Thu Jun 02, 2022 9:33 pm

Ayan Academy just shared a pdf of Oleg Koefoed-Obiedoff's "Russian Alphabet by the Nature Method" and audio.

How to learn the Russian alphabet in the twinkle of an eye?

You are going to Russia: you will find everything -the name of your street, of your hotel, of the shops, etc. written in Cyrillic characters, in an alphabet which is strange to you.
You may be afraid to feel lost: even the shortest journey on foot might seem to you like a trip into the jungle. And yet the Cyrillic alphabet, in spite of its 32 letters, is not more difficult to learn than the Latin alphabet, and Russian is easier to read than English because Russian spelling is almost phonetic.
A short introduction should be enough to enable anyone to get around in Russia. But this would of course be easier if you understand the words you are reading. So, just as we teach a child to read in his mother tongue, using words familiar to him, in the same way, the reader will find in this alphabet words which he will recognize immediately since they are internationally known: words of French, Greek, or English (such as telephone, theatre, taxi, etc.) There are many words of this type in Russian.
So, learning the Russian alphabet will be like a game for you and should not take any longer than the time of a flight from London to Moscow.
0 x

mokibao
Orange Belt
Languages: Studying: way too many

Postby mokibao » Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:39 am

Yeah but that one's always been more or less available. I would be more impressed if they published volumes from the Russian course that aren't the one found in University of Michigan.
0 x

karmamen
Languages: Serbian(N),English(C1),German(beginner)

Postby karmamen » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:39 pm

I got german nature method course from Ayan .. It looks really good so far.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”