All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Cantab
White Belt
Languages: English (Native)
French (Professional)
Russian (Intermediate)

Re: The Nature Method Courses

Postby Cantab » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:48 pm

PART 3 Of the RUSSIAN Nature Method course is available! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S841YkF84xw
1 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sat Jul 16, 2022 10:13 pm

Good audio that.
0 x

polllyglot
White Belt
Languages: Latin, French, English

Postby polllyglot » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:42 am

Czech By The Nature Method???

Source: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi0Yh3 ... RUnL6nq2R_
4 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:34 am

Yes. I'm in contact with the person behind Ayan Academy, and they're working on translating it to Czech now. This is seriously going to be great in the long run, as they get more SAE languages and maybe even try to branch out to others, though I think it's going to take some adaptations there.
5 x

SalzSäule
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2), French (?), Czech (Beginner)

Postby SalzSäule » Mon Aug 08, 2022 1:02 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:Yes. I'm in contact with the person behind Ayan Academy, and they're working on translating it to Czech now. This is seriously going to be great in the long run, as they get more SAE languages and maybe even try to branch out to others, though I think it's going to take some adaptations there.

You seem quite active in this thread, so can you let me know when the translation is finished? I'm looking at restarting Czech at the end of the year and this would be a great reintroduction. Thanks!
0 x
Da seufzt der Tropf im Purpur unter der unabwälzbaren Last seiner armseligen Individualität; während der Hochbegabte die ödeste Umgebung mit seinen Gedanken bevölkert und belebt.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Aug 08, 2022 2:49 pm

What this thread lacks is a good description on what exactly the Nature Method is. Is it similar to any other course? How far does it take the learner? How are the lessons structured? Is it grammar heavy? Are there drills, exercises, conversations, vocabulary lists etc? Is it immersion-based?
2 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:43 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:What this thread lacks is a good description on what exactly the Nature Method is. Is it similar to any other course? How far does it take the learner? How are the lessons structured? Is it grammar heavy? Are there drills, exercises, conversations, vocabulary lists etc? Is it immersion-based?

It seems to be just a 'direct method'. Teach via the TL, step by step from the bare basics upwards.
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Aug 09, 2022 11:26 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:What this thread lacks is a good description on what exactly the Nature Method is. Is it similar to any other course? How far does it take the learner? How are the lessons structured? Is it grammar heavy? Are there drills, exercises, conversations, vocabulary lists etc? Is it immersion-based?

I don't know which level one would reach after completing a course, but probably around B1.

The methodology is straightforward enough, although there aren't any explanations other than visual hints. Even if I didn't know any Czech, I could probably figure out that the image earlier in this topic depicts a family of five people, that the words above them are names or titles (especially since I recognize Jan and Ludmila as proper names), and the words below them are something else. The examples in the margin probably tell me that holka changes after numbers, and the examples below might tell me that also the numbers change depending on the word that comes after. Je and jsou could be verbs or other connectors. It's not that you see the forms only once; you see them throughout the text and get additional exposure. A question mark after what looks like a statement probably turns it into a question. And so on. That's the first page. There's actually quite a lot of content.

---

Galaxyrocker, where is the Gaeilge nature method you worked on a while ago? :ugeek:
4 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Fri Aug 12, 2022 6:05 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Galaxyrocker, where is the Gaeilge nature method you worked on a while ago? :ugeek:

Sadly time got in the way, as did pedagogical concerns. Specifically, trying to figure out how to approach the two-copula system and make sure users can understand the right one and when to use each, as well as how to approach the mutations and a few other things. I might give it another shot after my masters finishes, at least the first bit of it. I wish I had managed to scan the full copy of the Spanish book I have that's done in this manner (sadly haven't been able to find the actual NMI Spanish one that supposedly exists) to see how they approach it.

I suspect it'll be easiest to just introduce them all in one chapter. "Is cathair í Gaillimh, tá sí in Éirinn", etc. Same with the mutations. And maybe give a little 'primer' in English at the front of the book, even if that isn't the true nature method.
2 x

polllyglot
White Belt
Languages: Latin, French, English

Postby polllyglot » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:30 pm

galaxyrocker wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:Galaxyrocker, where is the Gaeilge nature method you worked on a while ago? :ugeek:

Sadly time got in the way, as did pedagogical concerns. Specifically, trying to figure out how to approach the two-copula system and make sure users can understand the right one and when to use each, as well as how to approach the mutations and a few other things. I might give it another shot after my masters finishes, at least the first bit of it. I wish I had managed to scan the full copy of the Spanish book I have that's done in this manner (sadly haven't been able to find the actual NMI Spanish one that supposedly exists) to see how they approach it.

I suspect it'll be easiest to just introduce them all in one chapter. "Is cathair í Gaillimh, tá sí in Éirinn", etc. Same with the mutations. And maybe give a little 'primer' in English at the front of the book, even if that isn't the true nature method.

Perhaps you could make the first version of the book something like an Assimil or Linguaphone book.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”