The Nature Method Courses

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
polllyglot
White Belt
Languages: Latin, French, English

Re: The Nature Method Courses

Postby polllyglot » Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:41 pm

A new addition is Worman's First Spanish Book.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdRhf9l88Bg

They will most likely get all of Worman's books(Multiple volumes for German, Spanish and French) recorded as they created a whole category for it on their shopify page.
https://ayanacademy.myshopify.com/colle ... age-series
1 x

polllyglot
White Belt
Languages: Latin, French, English

Postby polllyglot » Tue Jun 13, 2023 1:23 pm

I didn't know that Madrigal wrote very similar beginner courses according to the direct/nature method but here is a Portuguese course, pretty much entirely in the target language except some minimal succint grammatical notes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWSh7L5 ... 1d-m7skdI5

In addition to the Portuguese course, there is this rather recent Spanish course called "Lengua Española: Comprensión," that looks pretty much like LLPSI of Hans Ørberg. :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AU43OnVpuE
3 x

aspartamo
Languages: Spanish(N), English(B2)

Postby aspartamo » Mon Dec 11, 2023 6:47 am

Русский язык по методу Натура in MIT. Distinctive Collections Repository. Box 30, folders 73 through 77. Box 31, folders 13-19. Out of my reach.
1 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:42 pm

aspartamo wrote:Русский язык по методу Натура in MIT. Distinctive Collections Repository. Box 30, folders 73 through 77. Box 31, folders 13-19. Out of my reach.

Do you happen to have a link to this on their catalogue? I might could be able to find someone who could at least access it, though I don't know how difficult it'd be to get pictures of it. If it's really there there's even a (small) possibility I'd be able to check it myself.
0 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:23 pm

I've been in contact with MIT over these and they do exist! They even sent me pictures! The issue now comes down to copyright. While I'm 99% certain they're out of copyright in the US (they were published in 1963 and were never renewed, which means they went into public domain in 1991 before the auto-renewal update of copyright took effect in 1992), it's seeing if they'll scan them for me, who's in Ireland where the copyright situation is a lot less clear. Here's hoping...or that someone in MIT can get ahold of them somehow.
4 x

aspartamo

Postby aspartamo » Sun Mar 03, 2024 8:30 pm

Fingers crossed! Those may just be the last surviving copies/drafts of the course we may be able to get our hands on. I strongly believe the second iteration of the Nature Method Institutes (Naturmetodens Språkinstitut) never re-printed the Russian course - probably because it was never finished. It would be interesting to check whether the Humboldt's old Naturmethode Russian course was based off of this one by comparing the first chapters of both books.
1 x

UmutDevrim08
Languages: Turkish (N), English (intermediate), Esperanto (beginner)

Postby UmutDevrim08 » Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:09 pm

aspartamo wrote:Fingers crossed! Those may just be the last surviving copies/drafts of the course we may be able to get our hands on. I strongly believe the second iteration of the Nature Method Institutes (Naturmetodens Språkinstitut) never re-printed the Russian course - probably because it was never finished. It would be interesting to check whether the Humboldt's old Naturmethode Russian course was based off of this one by comparing the first chapters of both books.

So can you post the scanned copies if you could find them? It would be interesting since, in a standart format, only French, Italian and English copies, as i I know, are on the internet .
0 x

aspartamo

Postby aspartamo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 7:22 pm

UmutDevrim08 wrote:So can you post the scanned copies if you could find them? It would be interesting since, in a standart format, only French, Italian and English copies, as i I know, are on the internet .

No because I don't have them & site owners understandably want to avoid any potential US-copyright infringement on this forum.

Not entirely sure what you mean by standard format but the Latin (LLPSI) and Danish courses have been fully uploaded to the internet as far as I know. Half of the German course has also been available for some time now, and the other half will once the remaining Russian volumes are uploaded.
1 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:16 pm

aspartamo wrote:Half of the German course has also been available for some time now, and the other half will once the remaining Russian volumes are uploaded.

Then we'll be waiting. I contacted MIT and they want over $500 to scan it all so, as it's still under copyright in the US thanks to a 1994 update of the law that retroactively applied copyright to all public domain works that were under copyright in Europe, it's unlikely it'll end up online (I wasn't going to share it, but merely use it for creating an Irish version, seeing how it handles a language much father removed from English than any of the others).
2 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”