Thousands of pages of Comprehensible Input with Audio in French, Italian, Spanish and English

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Thousands of pages of Comprehensible Input with Audio in French, Italian, Spanish and English

Postby iguanamon » Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:57 pm

I don't know if this is a TTS voice, but I assume it is. If it is, it's pretty good. I don't think I would have had it read the chapter titles for every page nor the words in parenthesis. This breaks the flow of listening to the text. Still, it's a job well done and remarkable that a 137 year old language-learning text is still relevant today for language basics! Thank you for your service to the language-learning community!
2 x

Proclus
Languages: Turkish
Latin
Persian
English

Re: Thousands of pages of Comprehensible Input with Audio in French, Italian, Spanish and English

Postby Proclus » Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:16 pm

Updates:

First Russian Reader: Tales by Tolstoy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-0CLKZUGCo

Stories from Italian Writers with an Interlinear Translation + Notes + Vocabulary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvfQ7WWMKKY
3 x

Proclus
Languages: Turkish
Latin
Persian
English

Postby Proclus » Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:53 am

Audio for all 50 chapters of L'italiano Secondo Il Metodo Natura is now available! :o
2 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:37 pm

rdearman wrote:I have removed the link that was reported. I will need proof that the remainder of the books are either in the public domain or you have permission from the author or publisher to use their content. I can be prosecuted for the distribution of copyrighted content under UK law, and none of these books appear to be over 140 years old.

Unfortunately the Nature Method is European, and Arthur Jensen was alive and celebrating his 70th birthday in 1964, so none of his work is going to be in the public domain until some time after 2034.
3 x

lowsocks
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner), German (beginner)

Postby lowsocks » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:06 am

Cainntear wrote:Unfortunately the Nature Method is European, and Arthur Jensen was alive and celebrating his 70th birthday in 1964, so none of his work is going to be in the public domain until some time after 2034.
Although - dare I say it? - copies of the English, French, and Italian Nature Method courses are also available on the Internet Archive (archive.org), which seems to be a legitimate site. (There is even an audio file of a native French speaker reading the first four chapters of the French course.)
1 x
One need not hope in order to undertake, nor succeed in order to persevere.

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:02 am

lowsocks wrote:
Cainntear wrote:Unfortunately the Nature Method is European, and Arthur Jensen was alive and celebrating his 70th birthday in 1964, so none of his work is going to be in the public domain until some time after 2034.
Although - dare I say it? - copies of the English, French, and Italian Nature Method courses are also available on the Internet Archive (archive.org), which seems to be a legitimate site. (There is even an audio file of a native French speaker reading the first four chapters of the French course.)

Two things:
Archive.org is in the US, rdearman is in the UK
"Everyone else is doing it" isn't a legal defence (except for trademarks)

rdearman, the guy who runs this site, has said he's concerned about copyright and legal claims against himself, so I've stated my understanding (IANAL) of the copyright status of the materials in the UK.
6 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:49 pm

Cainntear wrote:...Two things:
Archive.org is in the US, rdearman is in the UK
"Everyone else is doing it" isn't a legal defence (except for trademarks)
rdearman, the guy who runs this site, has said he's concerned about copyright and legal claims against himself, so I've stated my understanding (IANAL) of the copyright status of the materials in the UK.

The fact that archive.org is is in the US may be irrelevant in this particular matter. The fact that archive.org hosts in-copyright books and materials is relevant. What people should realize is that just because it is an .org, it doesn't necessarily follow that the books it hosts are free and legal. I've seen a bunch of in-copyright material there, even according to US copyright law.
wikipedia wrote:The Open Library is another project of the Internet Archive. The wiki seeks to include a web page for every book ever published: it holds 25 million catalog records of editions. It also seeks to be a web-accessible public library: it contains the full texts of approximately 1,600,000 public domain books (out of the more than five million from the main texts collection), as well as in-print and in-copyright books, many of which are fully readable, downloadable and full-text searchable; it offers a two-week loan of e-books in its controlled digital lending program for over 647,784 books not in the public domain, in partnership with over 1,000 library partners from 6 countries after a free registration on the web site. Open Library is a free and open-source software project, with its source code freely available on GitHub.
The Open Library faces objections from some authors and the Society of Authors, who hold that the project is distributing books without authorization and is thus in violation of copyright laws, and four major publishers initiated a copyright infringement lawsuit against the Internet Archive in June 2020 to stop the Open Library project

Our host, rdearman has asked us not to share copyrighted material. We must be mindful of his position as host of this site under UK law. When HTLAL broke down, it was rdearman and emk who provided us with our present home. Besides being grateful, we should be respectful of the legal issues he faces. So, be wary of materials on archive.org and assuming they are legal under copyright law.
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:17 pm

A note about the IA or Internet Archive, or Archive.org "legitimacy".

On June 1 2020, Hachette, Penguin Random House, HarperCollins, and other publishers sued the IA, claiming that both the regular Open Library and the Emergency Library are forms of piracy. The IA responded by ending the Emergency Library project on June 16, days after the lawsuit was publicly announced, asking that “the publishers call off their costly assault.” It’s unclear whether the move will actually lead to the suit’s withdrawal. The publishers’ legal representatives referred Vox to the Association of American Publishers, which includes the plaintiffs in the lawsuit. When reached for comment, a representative for the Association shared the group’s statement concerning the suit, which calls the IA “brazen” and “self-serving” and notes that the lawsuit “reflects widespread anger among publishers, authors, and the entire creative community regarding IA’s actions and its response to objections.”

While the IA may have a ton of lawyers to fight their case, I cannot afford a lawsuit, so DO NOT SHARE COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL.
7 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:43 pm

rdearman wrote:While the IA may have a ton of lawyers to fight their case, I cannot afford a lawsuit, so DO NOT SHARE COPYRIGHTED MATERIAL.

You might want to remove all the links in the first post, honestly. The Nature Method stuff still is in copyright, as far as I'm aware (and quite unfortunately!)
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”