Slovak resources

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian, Ukrainian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Slovak resources

Postby Chung » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:03 am

This list will be updated periodically as new resources emerge. For a summary of the language that’s oriented for prospective learners including comments on learning material, please see “Slovak Language Profile

DESIGNATED LEARNING MATERIAL

Courses
- “Beginning Slovak
- “Colloquial Slovak
- “Krížom-krážom” series (CEFR A1 – B2)
- “Slovak for You
- “Slovenčina pre cudzincov
- Series of textbooks published by the Center of Continuing Education at Comenius University of Bratislava:
- “Slovenčina neu” (beginners' course for those who know German)
- “Po tamtej stronie Tatr” (beginners' textbook for those who know Polish)
- “Praktická Slovenčina” (beginners' textbook for those who know German)
- “Slowakisch - Lehrbuch für Anfänger und Fortgeschrittene” (textbook for beginners and intermediate learners who know German)
- Introductory downloadable textbook for migrants and asylum-seekers in Slovakia “Slovenčina pre azylantov a žiadateľov o azyl
- Online comic strip-based course for beginners “Hovoríme po slovensky!
- Online course at slovake.eu (CEFR A1-B2 - free registration)
- Online course at e-slovak (CEFR A1-A2 - free registration)
- Online course for Finnish-speakers supported by the University of Jyväskylä
- Online lessons at Slovak Language Lessons for Beginners by Marek Hlaváč
- Online lessons using authentic material at Učíme (sa) slovenčinu (CEFR A1.2-C2)
- Online lessons using stories, recipes and cultural presentations at the YouTube channel “Slovenčina ako cudzí jazyk
- Online textbook and workbook for Peace Corps Volunteers in Slovakia

Grammar
- Short guide to Slovak grammar for Peace Corps Volunteers
- Short guide to Slovak grammar from slovake.eu
- Playlist of video lessons on grammar from the channel “Slovenčina ako cudzí jazyk
- “A Grammar of Contemporary Slovak
- Downloadable workbook of grammar issued by the Pavol Jozef Šafárik University of Košice
- Online monolingual guide to Slovak morphology

Reference material
- “Anglicko-slovenský slovník s najnovšími výrazmi” published by VEDA
- “Anglicko-slovenský/slovensko-anglický veľký slovník” published by Lingea
- “Wazzup? Slovník slangu a hovorovej angličtiny” published by Lingea (dictionary of English colloquialisms and slang for Slovaks)
- Online bilingual dictionaries issued by Lingea
- Online monolingual dictionaries from the Linguistic Institute of Ľudovít Štúr
- Phrasebook and guide “First Aid in Slovak - Prvá pomoc po slovensky
- “Slovak in Slovakia” from Langmedia at the Five Colleges Center for the Study of World Languages

Corpora
- Slovak National Corpus

Testing
- Online diagnostic test offered by a private language school, the Slovak Institute of Education
- Mock certification exams for the Slovak Language Certificate offered by the Center for Continuing Education at Comenius University in Bratislava
- Sample certification exams in the ECL’s system (A2 – C1)
- Sample certification exams in the ELTE Origó (Hungary) system (B1 – C1)

AUDIO-VISUALS

Video
- RTVS (national public broadcaster)
- Televízia Markíza (private TV channel)
- TV JOJ (private TV channel)
- TA3 (private news channel)

Cinema
- Jánošík z Terchovej
- Obchod na korze
- Playlist of Slovak movies on YouTube

N.B. Other Slovak movies can be found on YouTube either by typing a specific movie’s name, “slovenský film” or similar.

Podcasts
- Slovenské podcasty

N.B. Other podcasts in Slovak can be found by running a search in Google using a specific podcast’s name, “slovenský podcast” or similar

Radio
- List of Slovak radio stations

Audiobooks
- Audioteka

N.B. Other audiobooks in Slovak can be found by running a search in Google using a specific audiobook’s name, “slovenská audiokniha” or similar.

Pronunciation/Listening
- Slovak Alphabet. Pronounce anything! (tutorial from YouTube channel “Slovak for Beginners”)
- Slovak Pronunciation – Learn How to Pronounce Difficult Slovak Letters (tutorial from YouTube channel “Slovenčina ako cudzí jazyk

READING

Newspapers and tabloids
- Aktuality
- Denník N
- Hospodarské noviny
- Katolícke noviny
- Noviny
- Nový čas
- Pluska
- Pravda
- Sme
- Šport
- Teraz
- Topky
- Webnoviny

Literature
- Online collection or Slovak literary texts sorted by author

N.B. Examples of Slovak prose and poetry can be found online for reading or purchase by running a search in Google using a specific writer’s name, a title, “slovenská literatúra” or similar.

Forums
- r/Slovakia

N.B. Forums in Slovak on various topics/interests can be found online by running a search in Google using “slovenský forum” or the Slovak term of the topic combined with “forum”.

Comics
- Daily cartoons and political satire by Martin Šútovec (“Shooty”) in Denník N
- Dedo, Otec a Syn
- Kukučka

N.B. Comic books in Slovak are available for purchase through Slovak bookstores. Run a search on Google using “slovenský komiks” or similar.

OTHER

- Static profile for Slovak at www.language-learners.org
- Suggestions for prospective learners of Slovak

LISTS OF LINKS

N/A
6 x

Martijn1976!
Languages: Dutch (N), English (B2) French (A2), German (A2)

Re: Slovak resources

Postby Martijn1976! » Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:40 pm

Dear all,

Let me first introduce myself: my name is Martijn and I live in the Netherlands. One of my good intentions for 2023 is that I would like to start learning the Slovak language. On this forum I came across this post, containing a very nice overview of materials to learn Slovak. Very valuable and useful!

One of the materials on the list was this: "Online Lessons at Slovak Language Lessons for Beginners by Marek Hlaváč" (https://sites.google.com/site/marekhlav ... r_overview)

I visited the site, and the lessons look very good for a beginner like me.

I was just wondering: is there anyone who might have the audio files of the lessons, the MP3 files? The pages do indicate that there are audio files to download. But when I click on those links, I get a message that they are on a Google Drive, and that I need to request access to get on that drive. I've done that several times, but so far I haven't heard anything on that.

So if anyone out there has those files,and would like to share them with me (via WeTransfer, for example), I would greatly appreciate it! I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Martijn Luyk
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”