All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Re: Irish Gaelic Resources

Postby księżycowy » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:17 pm

I can't say that was my original intent, but I would like to be as ESL friendly as possible. Would you happen to know the titles of the Welsh or Japanese versions of Learning Irish?

I'll add the Polish textbook shortly, even though I believe it is out of print now, sadly.
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Jul 30, 2022 2:18 pm

Just realised I never responded to this. The Welsh one is: Dysgu Gwyddeleg : gwersi Gwyddeleg Modern ynghyd ag allweddi'r ymarferion a geirfa and I don't know the Japanese one sadly.

There's also this post I made on sources for Conamara Irish
1 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga

Postby księżycowy » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:57 pm

Great, thanks! And no worries about forgetting to answer. :)

Colloquial Irish 1 is getting a second edition very shortly. I'm curious to see what it's like in relation to the first edition. I imagine not a ton will change.
1 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

warrigalgreen
White Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (beginner)
Lapsed languages: Swedish (B2), Indonesian (B1), Dutch (A2), German (A2)

Postby warrigalgreen » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:24 am

Just wondering, which form of Irish is taught in the Linguaphone course? Also, is there a reason it didn't get onto this list? Are there problems with it? (Was considering trying to find it but might use something else if it's not great)
0 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:00 am

The main reason it wasn't added is because, as far as I am aware, Linguaphone no longer publishes the course, and it can be hard to come by. I tend to make my resource lists as current as possible. Though, I'm open to adding it to the list, if there is a desire. [The 1960's Teach Yourself Irish and Irish on Your Own, which are also out of print, are legally available online, hence their inclusion. The Polish textbook is a bit of an anomaly, honestly.]

As for what dialect Linguaphone teaches, as far as I am aware it teaches CO (the official standard). So it doesn't teach any particular dialect. I can't comment on the efficacy of the course, unfortunately.
3 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Wed Jan 31, 2024 1:01 pm

księżycowy wrote:The main reason it wasn't added is because, as far as I am aware, Linguaphone no longer publishes the course, and it can be hard to come by. I tend to make my resource lists as current as possible. Though, I'm open to adding it to the list, if there is a desire. [The 1960's Teach Yourself Irish and Irish on Your Own, which are also out of print, are legally available online, hence their inclusion. The Polish textbook is a bit of an anomaly, honestly.]

As for what dialect Linguaphone teaches, as far as I am aware it teaches CO (the official standard). So it doesn't teach any particular dialect. I can't comment on the efficacy of the course, unfortunately.

I believe the old linguaphone actually teachers Munster Irish. I think it even included the synthetic forms. If we could see a page or two of it, especially parts around verbs, I could easily tell you.
1 x

warrigalgreen
White Belt
Languages: English (N) Spanish (beginner)
Lapsed languages: Swedish (B2), Indonesian (B1), Dutch (A2), German (A2)

Postby warrigalgreen » Wed Jan 31, 2024 2:17 pm

księżycowy wrote:The main reason it wasn't added is because, as far as I am aware, Linguaphone no longer publishes the course, and it can be hard to come by. I tend to make my resource lists as current as possible. Though, I'm open to adding it to the list, if there is a desire. [The 1960's Teach Yourself Irish and Irish on Your Own, which are also out of print, are legally available online, hence their inclusion. The Polish textbook is a bit of an anomaly, honestly.]

That makes sense. Thanks for responding and thanks for putting the list together.
1 x

Keyrowg Ella
White Belt
Languages: English (N)

Varying degrees of competence: French, German, Irish

Actively learning: Italian

Postby Keyrowg Ella » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:02 pm

warrigalgreen wrote:Just wondering, which form of Irish is taught in the Linguaphone course? Also, is there a reason it didn't get onto this list? Are there problems with it? (Was considering trying to find it but might use something else if it's not great)

Linguaphone have published at least three Irish courses since the 1920s.

One in Munster Irish (1920s?) for which you can find the audio here: https://archive.org/details/78_short-irish-course-lessons-5-6-7-8_gbia0072065

One in Connacht Irish (also 1920s), audio here: https://archive.org/details/linguaphone-irish-course-78-rpm-records

And the Irish course from the 1970s which teaches a more standardised Irish, with speakers from Galway, Kerry etc. On YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a0RSRyzDWU
4 x
: 29 / 105 Assimil Italian with ease
: 30 / 100 Assimil Italian

: 12 / 52 Grammaire progressive du français — Niveau intermédiaire

księżycowy
Blue Belt
English

*Studying*

*Waiting List*

Postby księżycowy » Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:13 pm

Huh, that's interesting. I'm only familiar with the newer Linguaphone course (the 1970's one). I'm quite fascinated to learn they made a Munster course, despite the age.

Thanks guys!
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:04 pm

Isn't it fun that the newest version is almost fifty years old? (1974) :)

By the way, I see Worldcat entries from 1928, 1931 and 1935. Of course, "Linguaphone conversational course : Irish" might be something else than the Cúrsa Gaeilge proper.
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”