Sermo Latinus course based on Assimil

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Beosweyne
Yellow Belt
Languages: En (L1), Fr (A2), Af (A1), Ar (beg.), Zu (beg.)
Ancient:
La (A2), Gr (A2), Eg (beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16342

Sermo Latinus course based on Assimil

Postby Beosweyne » Fri Sep 10, 2021 11:59 am

Every year since 2004, Schola Latina have been offering an online course based on Assimil Le latin sans peine. It's free but you need to buy the correct edition of Assimil including audio.

There are two versions of the course: Sermo Latinus I spends 3 days on each Assimil lesson while for the impatient there is Sermo Latinus I & II which runs at 2 days per lesson.

This year SL-I starts on 20th September and SL-I&II on the 13th. :o

I can recall a number of highlights from having followed the 2013-4 edition, although some (or many) specifics may have changed:
  • They provide English & Spanish translations of the French based Assimil lessons (I think they are permitted to do that because they require you to buy the book before enrolling.)
  • They have made recordings of all the exercise sentences, carefully done using classical pronunciation.
  • They provide detailed commentary on each lesson, on grammar, pronunciation, neologisms, etc.
  • You can send questions to the instructors.
  • Starting From lesson 51 everything is in Latin: notes, test questions, announcements, etc.
  • There are 4 written tests which are corrected and graded. Also there is homework to turn in every 7th lesson but these are self-assessed. Later on, there are questions requiring listening comprehension of recordings of authentic texts.
8 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”