Has anyone ordered from Dunwoody Publishing recently?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Vordhosbn
Orange Belt
Languages: English, German, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=194185

Has anyone ordered from Dunwoody Publishing recently?

Postby Vordhosbn » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:30 pm

The latest reincarnation of Dunwoody Press, now at https://www.dunwoodypublishing.com/, has never been particularly good with communication. I recently ordered an item off there, probably foolishly, and apart from an email invoice, have heard nothing for the last 4 days, despite emailing for a follow-up. Has anyone ordered successfully in the last, say, 3-6 months?
0 x

Longinus
Yellow Belt
Languages: English(N)
Currently studying: Latin, Scottish Gaelic
Maintenance work: German, Russian, BCS, Albanian, Estonian
Basic level, 3-6 months worth of work each: Persian, Mongolian, Old Irish, Polish, Macedonian
Wish list: Lithuanian, Icelandic, Hungarian

Re: Has anyone ordered from Dunwoody Publishing recently?

Postby Longinus » Fri Jul 30, 2021 1:37 pm

I've certainly ordered several items from them in the last year, although not since winter. I had no issues. I mean, they're not Amazon, but the items received were correct, and they arrived within a reasonable time.
2 x

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Postby księżycowy » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:37 pm

I just ordered a bunch of stuff from them about 2-3 weeks ago. It took them a bit to ship it, and when I emailed them to cancel one of the items I never got a reply. I did, however, get a refund through PayPal, and I just received my order earlier this week.
5 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Vordhosbn
Orange Belt

Postby Vordhosbn » Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:56 am

I received acknowledgment at last that the items have been shipped, so I can confirm the same experience as księżycowy and Longinus. Communication's still lousy, but they are operational.
2 x

Vordhosbn
Orange Belt

Postby Vordhosbn » Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:25 am

I ordered the Advanced Georgian Reader, but these absolute clowns sent me Hindi Newspaper Reader instead, after a month of waiting, at $125. The Hindi book is actually $85 on their website, to add insult to injury (and its description says 3 audio CDs are included. They are not).

Does anyone know how to get in touch with them? They ignore any and every email to their Gmail account and I'm frankly at my wit's end. Hilariously, the audio for the Georgian Newspaper Reader included an audio file from a completely unrelated publication.

Does anyone have any individual email contacts I could try? I fear that's $125 down the drain. I know folks here have had success ordering from them, but I'll be avoiding them like the bubonic plague.

(Alternatively I accept my losses, order the Hindi audio CDs, and hope to god they don't send me the CDs for Tibetan :lol: )
2 x

Vordhosbn
Orange Belt

Postby Vordhosbn » Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:34 pm

A brief update, to keep anyone informed who might be considering making an order:

I reached out to Dunwoody's parent/holding company, Amentum, telling them that the wrong item had been sent and all emails were being routinely ignored. Amentum replied within 24 hours and informed me that they had reached out to their point of contact at Dunwoody, and that the correct item was being sent out today.

(I received a one-line response from Dunwoody saying "Sorry about that. Here's the tracking number". No explanation as to their near-total lack of communication.)

https://www.amentum.com/ is the website. They have a "General Inquiries" contact form anyone can use should a similar issue arise.
6 x

Henkkles
Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Postby Henkkles » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:56 am

I am looking at one very tempting book from them that I can't find anywhere else, has anyone else ordered from them recently?

Edit: I ordered two items from them, I got the USPS tracking code 54 hours after I placed my order. I have to say that the shipping costs are exorbitant, almost $60 to Sweden for two items, I'll re-edit once I get the stuff I ordered, whether it was right and how long it took.

Placed the order on the 1st of April, parcel departed from JFK international 12 days later on the 13th of April.
Last edited by Henkkles on Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
0 x

sirgregory
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish
Studies: German, French

Postby sirgregory » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:12 pm

Vordhosbn wrote:I ordered the Advanced Georgian Reader, but these absolute clowns sent me Hindi Newspaper Reader instead, after a month of waiting, at $125. The Hindi book is actually $85 on their website, to add insult to injury (and its description says 3 audio CDs are included. They are not).

Does anyone know how to get in touch with them? They ignore any and every email to their Gmail account and I'm frankly at my wit's end. Hilariously, the audio for the Georgian Newspaper Reader included an audio file from a completely unrelated publication.

Does anyone have any individual email contacts I could try? I fear that's $125 down the drain. I know folks here have had success ordering from them, but I'll be avoiding them like the bubonic plague.

(Alternatively I accept my losses, order the Hindi audio CDs, and hope to god they don't send me the CDs for Tibetan :lol: )

When "mailing it in" is your literal job but you can't even manage that.
2 x

Henkkles
Green Belt
Languages: N FI | A EN SV | I EE RU | B FR LN

Postby Henkkles » Thu Apr 28, 2022 12:07 pm

I received my parcel today, the 28th of April. I placed my order on the 1st. The order was correct, I received what I paid for.
3 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:32 am

I thought I'd revive this thread because I want to order the Hindi Newspaper Reader from them. The website is still going, but on the page for the book it mentions possible delays due to Covid, so it looks like it hasn't been updated for a few years, and I am now wondering if it has gone out of business. Does anyone know?
0 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”