Glossika Success Stories?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Glossika Success Stories?

Postby Xmmm » Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:53 pm

Has anyone worked through Fluency 1 (or 2 or 3) and can say "I noticed a definite improvement when I talked to so-and-so again" or anything like that?

I'm on day 35 and have therefore been exposed to 350 random sentences. On the one hand I feel like my pronunciation has improved (how could it not?). On the other hand, by way of comparison I did try FSI Spanish a few years back. And as I recall from that course, parroting the dialogues back was the easy part. The hard part was the substitution drills. Which Glossika doesn't have.

So I guess I'm wondering which is the case for Glossika:

1. Exposure to all these random sentences will magically restructure your brain so that 300 hours later you can spontaneously form your own sentences.
2. Nice way to touch up your pronunciation and that's about it.

I was able to blurt out a couple random sentences to a Russian speaker that made them laugh. Things like: почему ты смотришь на меня?

And I was understood on the first attempt. So it must work for pronunciation. I'm just curious about how others who've tried Glossika feel about it.
6 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

wendel

Re: Glossika Success Stories?

Postby wendel » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:31 pm

Olly Richards talked about using it for Cantonese on his podcast, but he was using it as a supplement, not for "direct" learning.
1 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:46 pm

Judging from this review http://www.lingholic.com/glossika-review-mass-sentence-method/ , Glossika sounds remarkably similar to Assimil (which you can read about here: http://www.lingholic.com/reviews/assimil-review/ )
1 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

t123
White Belt

Postby t123 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:19 pm

It's probably more useful than Assimil active phase. Also see this thread.
0 x

Random Review
Green Belt
Languages: En (N), Es (int), De (pre-int), Pt (pre-int), Zh-CN (beg), El (beg), yid (beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 75#p123375

Postby Random Review » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:17 am

I don't personally see much similarity to Assimil, in fact I think they complement each other incredibly well.
3 x
German input 100 hours by 30-06: 4 / 100
Spanish input 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
German study 50 hours by 30-06: 3 / 100
Spanish study 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
Spanish conversation 100 hours by 30-06: 0 / 100

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:47 am

Has anyone, for example, finished Glossika Fluency 1 in a language, and now feels like they are an A2 speaker?

I'm on lesson 40 of Fluency 1. I can certainly blurt out a few random sentences with good enough pronunciation to be understood ... but by the time I get to lesson 40, the sentences from lesson 30 are slipping away. It's not like I have 400 sentences at my command.

So right now I'm thinking it's a pronunciation/listening comprehension supplement which will save you some time when you try to become an active speaker, but just drilling through 104 F1 lessons is not going to make you an A2 active speaker.

If someone has completed F1 (or F2 or F3) please sound off, maybe I'm doing it wrong. I try to do it every day, and I try to repeat each lesson about four times ... on average that's how long it takes me to talk on top of the native speaker for 90% of the sentences ...
1 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Kulelyn
White Belt
Languages: German (N)
Speaks: English, Norwegian
Learns: Spanish
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1711

Postby Kulelyn » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:52 am

I'm nearly finished with F2 of the Spanish Course. I use GSR daily and the C files occasionally for dictation exercises or as a basis for scriptorium.

The course helps me to become an A2 (or whatever) active speaker but it doesn't make me one. To my mind speaking is not the ability to repeat given sentences but to come up with them yourself.

What the course does, and this is valuable for me, is improving my listening skills and the pronunciation of sounds and, provided the speaker really speaks naturally, of sentences. It is one thing to know how to combine words to a meaningful sentence and another one to actually speak the sentence fluently. Since you don't have too much time to speak with or after the speaker, any problems with this become obvious very fast and the course helps to reduce them.

For a beginner like me the introduction of sentence structures is valuable too. Since I started with a 'proper' course only recently, I'm currently working with sentences that are way beyond my grammatical knowledge of the language. While listening to native material I noticed that I could now follow discussions easier because I recognized sentence structures that I learned through Glossika.

Could I have learned this somewhere/somehow else? Absolutely. But it is a nice supplement to other material, especially if you don't just follow their advice how to use the material (which I never do). If I were to use another Glossika course I'd maybe just combine the L2 sentences with Anki and with the shuffle function of my mp3 player. I would consult the pdf for the English meaning (using another language as a basis does not sound like a good idea for me). You might wonder why I don't do this now. The reason is simple: English is a foreign language for me and it is the language where I have the worst pronunciation. So I'm learning two languages with one course. Works for me :)
7 x
Spanish
: 25 / 109 Assimil active
: 1 / 6 Books
: 298 / 50000 Output words
: 0 / 3000 Output minutes

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:43 am

Reviving this thread as I just bought the Serbian Glossika and I love it. I'm at a current ~B1/2 in reading Serbian but haven't spoken or listened to it in years, so this is a good review for me.

Anyone out there taken Glossika up on its offer ("triangulation") to create a set of audio for you where you pick the source language and the target language(s)? If so, how do you use the product?
0 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:42 am

This should be a good tool for activation :) Of course explicit grammar study is faster if you can benefit from it.
Is it generally comprehensible, graded input? That sounds good, though of course to learn patterns from input you need thousands of sentences.

I don't think you can achieve A2 through Glossika without having the list of things you need to be able to do at A2 and choosing some sentences that you need to reproduce. But you'll also pick up many things that aren't needed for A2.

Are there any known examples of using Glossika from scratch?
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

stefanolodola
Languages: English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, German, Russian, Japanese, Koraen, Chinese, Italian

Postby stefanolodola » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:10 am

I always start to learn a language with Pimsleur. After 2-3 months, I switch to Glossika.
I've used it for 4 languages and it certainly works. Stick to your daily practice and you'll feel results in a few days.
However, the audio course has many flaws, which I tried to fix in my Italian audio course "Ripeti con me!". ;)
2 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”