TV shows dubbed in Russian but with English subtitles

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Evanitious
White Belt

TV shows dubbed in Russian but with English subtitles

Postby Evanitious » Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:14 pm

Hello,

My favourite way of learning a language is through TV shows.
But I like to watch mainly US shows. "Old" ones like : Lost, 24, Dexter, Friends, etc...

Once, I've found some streaming websites with US TV shows in Russian language but there were no subtitles and my level is not good enough. I understand like 35-40% without subtitles. I've spent hours watching with no subtitles, it doesn't give me any results.

I was thinking about buying DVDs but I'm wondering where and if it won't be too expensive. And more important if there will be subtitles in other languages than Russian.
I mean, let's say I find "Lost" dubbed in Russian language in DVDs, I was thinking if there would be English subtitles also ? As it's primarily designed for a Russian audience, I was wondering if the only subtitles wouldn't be Russian only..

I live in France. Do you know some websites where I could find what I'm looking for ? DVDs or maybe a platform with subscription which offers US movies/series dubbed in Russian but with English or French subtitles.

I would have the same question with mangas. It's easy to find them in other languages on Amazon but not in Russian.

I know there are interesting movies in Russian. But I really would like to watch my favourite TV Shows in Russian language, it's more motivating to watch my favourite characters.

Thanks for your help.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: TV shows dubbed in Russian but with English subtitles

Postby rdearman » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:35 pm

I don't know where you can find things. But I did a lot of looking at DVD's when I was trying to do Subs2SRS for Czech and I can tell you that almost zero US TV shows or movies on DVD have subtitles in any language other than English. You may have more luck in France than I had in the UK. I had to look at each DVD and look at the list of languages and subtitles on the back of the case.

You might have more luck looking on a Russian (Or Ukrainian) DVD reseller.

https://ruslania.com/en/films-on-dvd/
(Don't know how reliable or good this site is, it was just the first one to turn up)
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

księżycowy
Blue Belt
Languages: *Native*
English

*Studying*
Biblical Greek, Hebrew, German (Arabic)

*Waiting List*
Irish, Polish, Lithuanian, Italian, Modern Greek, Latin, Old English, Japanese, Korean, Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, Taiwanese), Vietnamese, Mongolian, Tibetan, Aramaic, Amharic, Arabic, Haitian Creole, Cayuga
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17499

Re: TV shows dubbed in Russian but with English subtitles

Postby księżycowy » Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:01 pm

rdearman wrote:https://ruslania.com/en/films-on-dvd/
(Don't know how reliable or good this site is, it was just the first one to turn up)

I've bought a few things from them, and they seem to be a reputable store. (I bought Estonian books from them, I can't speak to the quality of the Russian DVDs.)
0 x
Dead Log
Modern European Log
East Asian Log

DaF Kompakt A1-B1 (Klett) : 1 / 30
Modern German Pronunciation 2e (Hall) : 0 / 7
[Greek and Hebrew TBD]

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”