Self-Talk Assistance App

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
siouxchief
Yellow Belt
Languages: Learning French

Self-Talk Assistance App

Postby siouxchief » Mon May 24, 2021 1:01 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering has anyone come across an app that would pose you questions in your target language?
I realise you could pay a tutor and get feedback on italki but I was thinking when you are by yourself.

I'm not even wanting the app to listen to my response (given apps struggle deciphering people) but just to say a bunch of sentences maybe categorised by topic like say 'Restaurant' then it would simulate questions you would get in a restaurant and you could practice replying to them. Maybe pause after each question until we click next.

I realise you could just make up the questions in your own head and reply to them but i think it would be a good little tool and self-talk is considered a useful thing to do.

Anyone know of such a thing?

Thanks
2 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: Self-Talk Assistance App

Postby Cainntear » Fri May 28, 2021 2:36 pm

Don't know of anything specifically, but if you had a source for questions (e.g. your course book) I suppose you could just throw them into a flashcard program.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri May 28, 2021 4:36 pm

I remember a presentation once where someone said they put tasks into their ANKI SRS deck like: Write down the conjugations of the verb "to go" in French. Or: Say the sentence "Mary had a little lamb" in French past, present, future, and conditional.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Mr Dastardly
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
French (Beginner/Lower Intermediate)

Postby Mr Dastardly » Fri May 28, 2021 5:55 pm

siouxchief wrote:Hi all,

Just wondering has anyone come across an app that would pose you questions in your target language?
I realise you could pay a tutor and get feedback on italki but I was thinking when you are by yourself.

I'm not even wanting the app to listen to my response (given apps struggle deciphering people) but just to say a bunch of sentences maybe categorised by topic like say 'Restaurant' then it would simulate questions you would get in a restaurant and you could practice replying to them. Maybe pause after each question until we click next.

I realise you could just make up the questions in your own head and reply to them but i think it would be a good little tool and self-talk is considered a useful thing to do.

Anyone know of such a thing?

Thanks

It won't be 100% reliable, but you could pose your Qs and As to DeepL - it's impressively accurate.
0 x

siouxchief
Yellow Belt
Languages: Learning French

Postby siouxchief » Fri May 28, 2021 9:49 pm

Thanks all. There seems to be nothing exact out there but some good suggestions. I do have Glossika but the sentences are a bit random and I'm not even needing the target language. Maybe someone will go and build it if they see this :)
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”