So what's the deal with Ear2Memory

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
mokibao
Orange Belt
Languages: Studying: way too many

So what's the deal with Ear2Memory

Postby mokibao » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:28 am

A few people recommend the Ear2Memory app (http://ear2memory.com/) which seems to have revolutionized their learning and so on.

However there seems to be very little actual content for the app. (It does offer a language pack for Sardinian (http://gigasardinian.com/) but nothing else as far as I could check.) From what I understand you're supposed to take audio from, say, Assimil and cut it yourself into sentence-sized snippets? And put that into the app while reading the booklet in PDF form or something, which seems very unwieldy. You're also supposed to have access to a transcript and wordlist and few resources do that, not even Assimil provides wordlists. Also, the app lets you easily repeat fragments of a track but you can't do that while reading the transcript obviously.

Am I missing something? Am I using it wrong? Are there user-made language packs for it other than the Sardinian one? I'd like to have some detailed feedback from users before I put any substantial amount of work into yet another method that advertises itself as revolutionary.
2 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Re: So what's the deal with Ear2Memory

Postby Kraut » Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:04 pm

here is another course
http://4elisa.com/
1 x

dgc1970
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner)

Postby dgc1970 » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:05 pm

mokibao wrote:A few people recommend the Ear2Memory app (http://ear2memory.com/) which seems to have revolutionized their learning and so on.

However there seems to be very little actual content for the app. (It does offer a language pack for Sardinian (http://gigasardinian.com/) but nothing else as far as I could check.) From what I understand you're supposed to take audio from, say, Assimil and cut it yourself into sentence-sized snippets? And put that into the app while reading the booklet in PDF form or something, which seems very unwieldy. You're also supposed to have access to a transcript and wordlist and few resources do that, not even Assimil provides wordlists. Also, the app lets you easily repeat fragments of a track but you can't do that while reading the transcript obviously.

Am I missing something? Am I using it wrong? Are there user-made language packs for it other than the Sardinian one? I'd like to have some detailed feedback from users before I put any substantial amount of work into yet another method that advertises itself as revolutionary.

I just received Assimil's Brazilian Portuguese. I'm starting an experiment on Monday using Ear2Memory, I'll start a log so everyone can see me fail. :D
3 x

kundalini
Orange Belt
Languages: English (C), Greek (low intermediate)

Postby kundalini » Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:03 am

mokibao wrote:A few people recommend the Ear2Memory app (http://ear2memory.com/) which seems to have revolutionized their learning and so on.

I'm reading through the PDF on that site, and I agree with what I've read so far. The visual aid on p.29 is especially compelling.
0 x
Iliad: 12 / 24

PerpetuallyLost
Languages: English (N)
German (A2)
Hebrew (B1)

Postby PerpetuallyLost » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:23 pm

I wondered if you went ahead with this method in the end?
To clarify, you don't have to process all the audio clips prior to using the app. If for example you use assimil as your resource then you can put those mp3's on your phone and access them through the app. The app has functions that allow you to easily create the snippets (by clicing the large button i think - once for start of snippet and again to end the snippet). i beleive you then listen to each snippet 5,10,15 times until you fully understand what's going on in each bit of the sentence. then you move onto the next snippet (you can do the process of listening and creating snippets as you go along. snippet creation doesn't all need to be done beforehand). then then have different schedules but the main idea is you listen (or in their teminology 'risten') to 'x' number of new audio files a day. (in the assimil example these would be a lesson which typically last a minute or two at the most). those audio files are broken down into snippets which you're listening to multiple times until full understanding. ultimately you also want to listen to each chapter/lesson/ audio file roughly 10-15 times as well.

so as an overview example (times just for ease of calculation):
- each chapter is 1 minute long
- you split each chapter into as many snippets as you need (usually lenght of the sentence) and listen to each snippet on average 10 times until full understanding achieved.
this means each chapter takes 10 minutes on average.
depending on your schedule you might listen to 3 new chapters a day.

the book suggests the following schedule where in addition to the new chapters each day , you review all previous ones too. ie
etc

this isn't stated explicitly but i think this is only done until each chapter has been done 10 times, eg

10th day: 1,2,3,...,28,29,30
11th day: 4,5,6,...,31,32,33

ie you've done lessons 1,2,3 ten times then you stop doing them.

in total you will hear each word/sentence in each chapter approximately 100 times and will have full understanding of every element of the sentence. the goal is then by the end of the process you will be able to listen through all of the 100 chapters and understand everything as well as having also intuited a lot of the grammar principles as well.

to your point about the vocab/ word lists, they say in the book that this is a great extra but not vital. they even suggested assimil despite the fact that it doesn't have these things. personally i don't see so much use in a vocab list and translation exercise but that's besides the point. personally i think the main point of this method is repeated exposure to a decent number of new sentences with full understanding.

Hope this helps some what
2 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”