Bom día, Brasil (free audio)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:44 pm

As I have not yet come across a specific reference to the introductory Brasilian Portuguese course “Bom día, Brasil”, published by the Yale University Press, I thought that the forum members might be interested in knowing that the publishers have rendered the MP3 audio recordings freely available to the public via the university’s website. One can also download a partial excerpt from the textbook in PDF format. Here are some LINKS:

Yale University: Bom día, Brasil
http://yalepress.yale.edu/yupbooks/book.asp?isbn=9780300116311

Amazon: Bom día, Brasil
http://www.amazon.com/Bom-Dia-Brasil-Portugu%C3%AAs-Estrangeiros/dp/0300116314

Presentation, Alternatives, Value
Note carefully that the "Bom día, Brasil" course book is written in Portuguese only and is designed for use in a classroom setting. Given this fact, along with the fact that the audio recordings for the entire course are only about 2 hours long, and the relatively high price for the textbook, does not make this course very attractive compared to the alternatives. The freely-available FSI Brasilian Portuguese Programmatic and the DLI Portuguese Basic courses, while a little long-in-the-tooth, provide vastly more audio and exercise materials. For those students whose French is sufficiently advanced, Assimil offers two courses for learning Portuguese (Brasilian, European) at only modestly higher prices. In addition, the DLI Gloss files include 208 lessons for Brasilian-Portuguese and there exist numerous other alternatives for learning this language. Nonetheless, used copies of the textbook abound at lower prices for those who might be interested in this course.

Free Audio
There seems to be a trend of providing “free” audio as more and more publishers are moving away from the inclusion of CDs in course books, in which case, I will have to reconsider my self-assigned role as "Cub Reporter" of these not-so-earth-shattering events. One of the major reasons for this evolution is that returns of course packages to the seller was defective CDs. In any case, CD technology is losing market share to other digital formats. We can reasonably expect that the publishers will increase the prices of their course books so as to recuperate their investment in the recordings.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”