Spanish courses for teen, mix of advance and intermediate

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
adrienneiii
Languages: Spanish, Portuguese

Spanish courses for teen, mix of advance and intermediate

Postby adrienneiii » Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:04 pm

Hello, my 14 year old son is half Ecuadorian and speaks relatively good Spanish (though with a fair bit of Spanglish) due to his father (overseas). (I also speak fluent Spanish but rarely with him unfortunately and it's very hard for both of us to make that happen.)

I'd love to find an online course for him that would allow him to improve his spelling and sentence structure (eliminating the Spanglish), but find it very difficult as most courses directed at his age group are for beginners, while advanced material is mostly focused on conversational skills (not a problem for him) or very dry grammatical stuff that requires the attention span of a very motivated adult.

Can anyone suggest any online courses that might suit him better? Appreciate it!
0 x

SCMT
Orange Belt
Languages: Engilsh (N)
Spanish (Learning)
French (Beginning)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10551

Re: Spanish courses for teen, mix of advance and intermediate

Postby SCMT » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:07 pm

adrienneiii wrote:Hello, my 14 year old son is half Ecuadorian and speaks relatively good Spanish (though with a fair bit of Spanglish) due to his father (overseas). (I also speak fluent Spanish but rarely with him unfortunately and it's very hard for both of us to make that happen.)

I'd love to find an online course for him that would allow him to improve his spelling and sentence structure (eliminating the Spanglish), but find it very difficult as most courses directed at his age group are for beginners, while advanced material is mostly focused on conversational skills (not a problem for him) or very dry grammatical stuff that requires the attention span of a very motivated adult.

Can anyone suggest any online courses that might suit him better? Appreciate it!

Have you considered finding an online tutor that can customize a course of study for him?

There are several options, but italki is probably the largest.
1 x

adrienneiii
Languages: Spanish, Portuguese

Postby adrienneiii » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:09 pm

I just saw your replay SMCT, sorry. Thanks so much for the tip on italki, I hadn't heard of that and will definitely look into it.
1 x

Pikaia
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (a bit), French (a bit less)

Postby Pikaia » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:11 pm

In addition to the tutoring suggestion above, you might look for materials designed for “heritage learners.”

Regarding online curricula, you might look at Nuestra Historia by Voces. Since you are also fluent, you could help facilitate, and it might be engaging enough without being too dumbed down. You can get free trial access to assess appropriate level. A monthly teacher-only account is $15/month (no student accounts) or $60 for 6 months (can add a student account). Voces also offers a more “traditional” online Spanish curriculum too, so it might be worth comparing that one to Nuestra Historia too.

https://www.vocesdigital.com/library.php

In addition to iTalki, there are other platforms too. Verbling is similar to iTalki. I’m not a fan of Preply’s trial lesson policy (tutor gets $0 for a 1-hour trial), so I avoid them.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”