• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Questions about CLE Progressif/ve du français

Postby Deinonysus » Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:50 pm

I am getting ready to start in on this series, and I'm starting with the « intermédiaire » level which covers A2-B1 (it should mostly be review for me but I'm sure it will fill in some important gaps). The two higher levels are « avancé » (B1-B2) and « perfectionnement » (B2-C2), with a bit of CEFR variation depending on the series. The three series I'm planning to use are phonétique, vocabulaire, and grammaire.

My questions are:
  1. Since the « avancé » CEFR level seems to overlap with the « intermédiaire » and « perfectionnement » levels, does that mean that it is redundant with the material covered in those other levels and can be skipped? Or does it act as a bridge between the other two levels?
  2. I think a good order to do the books in might generally be phonétique, then vocabulaire, and finally grammaire, although for the intermédiaire level I'll probably start with grammaire since I already have the text and answer books. To those who have used these books, what was the order you did them in? And did you do a whole book of one skill before moving on to the next skill, or did you do a chapter of one, then a chapter of another, etc? Or did you have another strategy entirely?
1 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Re: Questions about CLE Progressif/ve du français

Postby kanewai » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:46 pm

I splurged last year, and bought a complete set:

Grammaire progressive (A2-B1)
Communication progressive (A2-B1)
Vocabulaire progressif (A2-B1)
Phonétique progressive (A2-B2)

I did about five lessons of each, and then settled on phonétique progressive . It was the one I was most skeptical about (how can learn phonics from a book?), but it turned out to be extremely useful. I think you're right to start with that one. I am sure that I will review this one a second time.

I just re-started in on the grammaire course. This has already been useful for correcting basic things that I still get wrong all the time (like when to use c'est vs il est vs il y a).

For me, I already read a lot, so I'll probably save vocabulaire for the end. However, there's also no harm in jumping around to get a sense for what feels right.
3 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:01 pm

1.No, I don't think Ava is either redundant, or just a bridge. It is a full value level that I found more challenging than the Interm, while the Perf. has a bit different style. I think all of them are worth doing. Ava may not look like introducing tons of new topics, but it presents new challenges.

2.I don't think doing one after another is the best strategy, but it is certainly a valid one. Perhaps there is no best strategy in this case. If you feel like going through one and then another, it will certainly work just fine. If you get bored easily, than switching between the books can be useful (that's what I usually do). If I had to choose the order, I'd go for Phonétique, Grammaire, Vocabulaire but that is just an opinion.
4 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:55 am

I have a question about the Phonétique, Vocabulaire and Communication volumes in these series. To what extent, if any, is there overlap between the levels?
0 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”