French Textbooks w/audio cds

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
stimpyren
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)

French Textbooks w/audio cds

Postby stimpyren » Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:42 pm

I posted this on an expat forum, this is a better place.

I've completed Living Language's Complete French series (Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced). I've just started the same company's "Ultimate" French series, having purchased the "Beginner-Intermediate" book only. It's more comprehensive and in-depth than the Complete French series, which is what I'm looking for.

Here's the problem: the Ultimate series is out-of-print. For this reason, it would cost hundreds of dollars to buy the complete set (Beginner-Intermediate and Advanced) including the CDs.

I'm looking for an in-depth French textbook/coursebook that includes audio CDs--that's still in print. I'm only interested in physical books and physical CDs (no apps or online courses). I'd like something that encompasses heavy advanced-level material.

I can't find anything that fits the bill. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.
0 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Re: French Textbooks w/audio cds

Postby badger » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:35 pm

I like the "Le nouvel Edito" series which goes from A1 up to C1 if that's heavy & advanced enough for you.
1 x
Super Challenge 2024-2025
ES (half): reading: 0 / 5000 watcching: 0 / 5000
FR (full): reading: 0 / 5000 watcching: 0 / 5000

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:42 pm

stimpyren wrote:I posted this on an expat forum, this is a better place.

I've completed Living Language's Complete French series (Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced). I've just started the same company's "Ultimate" French series, having purchased the "Beginner-Intermediate" book only. It's more comprehensive and in-depth than the Complete French series, which is what I'm looking for.

Here's the problem: the Ultimate series is out-of-print. For this reason, it would cost hundreds of dollars to buy the complete set (Beginner-Intermediate and Advanced) including the CDs.

I'm looking for an in-depth French textbook/coursebook that includes audio CDs--that's still in print. I'm only interested in physical books and physical CDs (no apps or online courses). I'd like something that encompasses heavy advanced-level material.

I can't find anything that fits the bill. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks.

Assimil's Using French is worthwhile, although i'm not quite sure it fits the 'comprehensive' or 'in-depth' nature of your request, but I still highly recommend it. It can be bought from the assimil.com website. Business French also by Assimil would fit the bill as well, but you'll be hard-pressed to find a copy with CD's still out there floating about, but hey, you never know. I'll have a think about this question and get back to you if I think of any more resources you might like suited to your description.

...Actually some more intermediate courses with CDs: Hugo French Advanced and Colloquial French 2. The Grammaire Progressive du Francais series and the Vocabulaire Progressif du Francais series do indeed come with CDs but the content covered with the audio component is quite limited from my understanding. Nevertheless it's a great series with several levels including advanced and perfectionnement.

Oh, and how could I forget French in Action...but it's not really for advanced learners...
3 x

Lysander
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N); Spanish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18668

Postby Lysander » Sat Dec 19, 2020 2:03 am

stimpyren wrote:I posted this on an expat forum, this is a better place.

The Living Language Ultimate course was also known as Living Language [French/Spanish/Whatever]: All the Way, and 1 & 2 corresponded to Beginner-Intermediate and the Advanced course you have referenced.

Here it looks like you can get part 1 for under $20: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0517597802/ref=

You can get the 2nd French book for under $10: https://www.biblio.com/9780517882818 It is noticeably cheaper than the Living Language version of it, though you may need to poke around for the audio.

I have never used the Ultimate/All-the-Way courses and only recalled reading the above in another thread. But is the audio completely necessary for completing the book? Or are they more of a "nice to have"? For example, some other courses only record some vocab or dialogues. I would not recommend skipping out on French audio for any course, but if you already completed an entire series and the first level of Ultimate, you may have developed a pretty good ear by then if you are also listening to authentic material.

Please be sure to write a review of the Complete course (and please reference ISBN) to help out the community :) Good luck!
3 x
: 17 / 30 Fluenz: Latin American Spanish Vol 1
: 17 / 150 Fluenz: Latin American Spanish - Overall

stimpyren
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)

Postby stimpyren » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:58 pm

Thanks guys, I couldn't find this website again after I posted until now. I'll look carefully at all the responses.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”