FSI French - Has anyone actually completed the whole thing?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: FSI French - Has anyone actually completed the whole thing?

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:45 pm

James29 wrote:Yes. By my rough estimation FSI Spanish has about 60 hours of audio drilling and FSI French has about 90. The Spanish lessons usually have about an hour each while the French ones sometimes have as much as six hours of drilling each.

Thanks James :)
1 x

IchBinEinPoly
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (N), Spanish (was C1 but slightly rusty), French (A2), Chinese (A2 oral, but effectively illiterate), Hindi (bits and pieces, comprehension is very good but production is basic)

Postby IchBinEinPoly » Sun Jan 17, 2016 4:23 am

James29 wrote:Thank you for that link to the other website. That really threw a wet blanket on my French fire. I absolutely loved FSI Spanish and thought it was such a great course that I worked through the whole course a second time. People who do the French course seem to say it is a good course and very comprehensive (the same things they say about the Spanish course) but nobody every actually finishes the French course.

I don't see why it should turn you off. The guy's number one problem, by his own admission, was not using native media. As soon as I read that I laughed heartily, because he was blaming the FSI course while not using it as intended. The FSI courses were meant to be used as part of a classroom setting. Obviously you're not gonna get that, but you can emulate it really well (I would argue you can in fact one-up it) by making sure that native media and talking with conversational partners are also integral parts of your learning program.

The length really isn't the issue here.

FSI, as part of a bigger program (a la iguanamon's multi-track approach) can be extremely effective.
5 x
PLEASE correct me if I make a mistake when writing in a non-native language. Thank you in advance.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:01 pm

I'd like to know the number of example sentences or at least the total number of running words of these courses but my software does not like the available PDF files. FSI French seems to include a lot more than 3,000 sentences (which is the number of example sentences in both Assimil and Glossika).
Last edited by reineke on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
3 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:34 am

I have never done the FSI French course, because I was badly traumatised by 7:45am audio-lingual drills in college and I have come to detest them. Also, I have ample opportunities to speak "kitchen French", which helps a lot with the kind of automaticity that people hope to gain from drills.

That said, I did take a good long look through FSI French Basic a few years ago. I think it was on behalf of a poster preparing for a B2 exam or something like that.

First, some good points:

- If you want drills, oh my does FSI French have drills. It provides exactly what it says on the tin.

- The language is fine. It's all formal register and it sounds a bit like a highbrow newspaper, so you'll eventually want other resources as well. But by the time that could possibly matter, you should be using a variety of resources anyway. Go read some trashy blogs or watch TV like everybody else. You'll be fine.

- If you want to beat a certain grammatical point half to death, FSI French will provide plenty of exercises.

A few drawbacks:

- Some of the audio recordings I heard were fairly noisy and scratchy. Usable, but probably annoying in large quantities. There might be better copies; I didn't look.

- Some important points of French grammar, including the subjunctive and the concordance des temps, appeared surprisingly late in the course IIRC. This is all material that you should have at least partially internalized for a B2 exam.

- The course spends, in my opinion, too much time drilling the conjugation of less useful irregular verbs like coître too soon. Most native French speakers replace these with easier-to-conjugate verbs like grandir when speaking. Sure, if you're at C1 or C2, some of these verbs are very useful for writing. But there's no need to drill them heavily at B1 or B2 IMO. (I just checked with my wife and she agreed that these were extremely formal for ordinary speech.) An important part of intermediate spoken French is knowing what irregularities are best avoided. The -er verbs are your friends.

- EDIT: Several people have mentioned a lack of tu forms. If accurate (I don't remember one way or the other), this a pretty glaring omission. I mean, I've been finally forced to admit that I'm middle-aged, and I still rely heavily on tu when speaking to people of my generation whom I know on any kind of personal basis. Some of that is that I speak a lot to my wife's family and friends, and some of that is that I'm a programmer (which can be an aggressively informal profession). But I also use it a lot with other people my age at Meetups after I've known them for a bit. And unlike informal vocabulary, which is easily picked up from many sources, you need to know core pronouns cold. So I feel like having weak coverage of tu is pretty unfortunate for an intermediate level French course in 2017.

Overall, it certainly seemed like an excellent collection of drills. But it also seemed like it should be used alongside other resources (as FSI did), and that learners shouldn't stress over the rarer and more irregular bits of grammar.

Anyway, that's the takeaway from somebody who dislikes drills and who only spent a few hours examining the materials a while back. Take it with a grain of salt, please. :-)
5 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:15 am

"Updated" FSI Basic French
As a reminder, there is an "updated" version of FSI Basic French that is presently in development. The first five of a projected twenty modules have been published and are available via Amazon/Audible. Here is the LINK to the discussion thread wherein I commented on this discovery:

FSI Basic Courses "Updated": Dr. Brians Languages
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=6400

Expansion of the Description of the "Updated" FSI Basic French course
Although I did not published the entire Email exchange that I had with Scott Brians, the creator of this project, given the present discussion of the "original" FSI Basic French course, I thought that it might be worthwhile adding some of Scott's comments on the "updated" version. I have posted this quote in the above-named discussion thread retroactively.

Scott Brians to Speakeasy, 2017-07-26
"• The original FSI French Course manuscript was almost prefect as it was - no teacher needed. We’ve kept a lot of it. A comparison between the original and our version will bear witness to that. We have modernized some of the phrases as the spoken language has changed some. To be thorough, we have kept some of the old, for it still exists, if not used much. We have added “in-between” drills to avoid a massive jump from easy to difficult drills. The student would be cruising at level 2 and suddenly was faced with difficulty 8. We added a level 4 and 6 in-between to ease the student into the more difficult material.

•Differences in German and French:
o We’ve deleted translation drills to keep the student completely immersed in the target language. May add this in the future, but for “purity” reasons, may not.
o We’ve incorporated lots of travel related vocabulary so our students can visit the country and use their new skills right off the bat. Oddly enough, the original FSI was very weak in this aspect: they were geared for bureaucrats working at the embassy, not college students, travelers or professional sales people.
o As you noted, in the beginning modules, we have added slow and (near) native speed of the same text to get the true beginner started.
o Annette speaks a little slower in the earlier modules than in the latter, again, to help the true beginner.
o As stated before, the CD quality recording and longer pauses make the learning process much easier, again, to help the true beginner."
7 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:03 pm

emk wrote:A few drawbacks:

- Some important points of French grammar, including the subjunctive and the concordance des temps, appeared surprisingly late in the course IIRC. This is all material that you should have at least partially internalized for a B2 exam.

- The course spends, in my opinion, too much time drilling the conjugation of less useful irregular verbs like coître too soon. Most native French speakers replace these with easier-to-conjugate verbs like grandir when speaking. Sure, if you're at C1 or C2, some of these verbs are very useful for writing. But there's no need to drill them heavily at B1 or B2 IMO. (I just checked with my wife and she agreed that these were extremely formal for ordinary speech.) An important part of intermediate spoken French is knowing what irregularities are best avoided. The -er verbs are your friends.

FSI French:

"During this introductory phase, the authors are more interested in the student's ability to perform in multi-phrasal and multi-clausal sentences using the proper connectors and relators than in his stockpiling of vocabulary items. Subsequent units will develop the remaining verb morphology and expand the vocabulary."

In this sense, FSI is ahead of the modern courses and self-learners chasing "word power" and pouring over grammar books to "finally learn the subjunctive". This is from a 2014 study:

"Areas of relatively late acquisition in L2 French morphosyntax, for example, include, tense, aspect and mood (Bartning & Schlyter, 2004).

In terms of acquisition, second language acquisition (SLA) researchers have suggested that the subjunctive is late-acquired because “learners need to be at a point in their development where they reliably produce subordinate clauses” (Collentine, 2010: 41) because,as Bartning (forthcoming, p. 24) argues, “complex syntax has to be acquired as a prerequisite.”

If productive subjunctive use is characterized by the interfacing of different types of knowledge such as knowledge of form (i.e., subjunctive inflections), complex syntax, and semantics, then performance differences between learners at different proficiency levels would be expected..."

Exploring the acquisition of the French subjunctive: local syntactic context or oral proficiency?

The study's findings suggest that "L2 proficiency significantly affects the acquisition of the French subjunctive."

While this study explores "The Acquisition and Teaching of the Spanish Subjunctive" I find this paragraph very much relevant:

"Even though the literature contains a good amount of research on the subjunctive in first (L1), second (L2) and foreign language (FL) contexts suggesting it is acquired late, contemporary textbooks still give teachers and learners the impression that the subjunctive is so important to communicative goals that its study deserves large proportions of textbook pages and class time."

I didn't find croître in the pdfs (I don't doubt it's there since emk heard it) but I did find grandir and agrandir. I think the point of the conjugation drills is to automatize the verbs (including irregular verbs) and thus shake off all the crutches.

Re: tu... An interesting point.

"...when Richard studied French at FSI, he learned mainly the polite vous form of verbs— which is what he needed to use at work. At one point, however, a friend he'd made in Niger said that his continued use of the formal vous instead of the informal tu made him feel that Richard was maintaining a wall between them. Richard, however, did not know the tu form of verbs very well, so he was forced to use vous. Although using vous made Richard sound professional at work, he was unaware that he came across ..."

Becoming Fluent: How Cognitive Science Can Help Adults Learn a Foreign Language
By Richard Roberts, Roger Kreuz

First of all, I am amazed at how far FSI can actually take you. Secondly, unless you're studying in an isolated bubble, this FSI peculiarity could be a blessing in disguise in our modern, impolite world. The handbook does include sentences like:

1. On prend quelque chose?
2. Tu prends quelque chose?
Est-ce que tu me comprends?
2. Me comprends-tu?

etc.

Multitracking... A succession of lightweight courses will stop your language learning train dead in its tracks. FSI is a monorail train. If you finish it, you've earned the right to not have to look at another audio course in your life. If you wish, you can attach a car to this train in the form of a more modern audio course. You can keep coursing around by adding a written course. A good follow-up to FSI would be Mauger's "Cours de Langue et de Civilisation Françaises". That's a monorail train in its own right that needs a good audio add-on. Book 1 is full of tu forms and my book is from 1953. Why isn't there something modern and substantial like Mauger or FSI? I think the answer is hiding in the title of this thread. Few people actually finish the darn thing. Also, the FSI students who used these materials were required to do a lot more than simply repeat after the prompts.
8 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:32 pm

Thanks to reineke for resurfacing this thread. :) In the middle of my move, I was looking for a 1. comprehensive French material, 2. that's free, and 3. that's online, and can be used Internet-free.

While I have browsed the FSI course before, this is the first time I've looked at the DLI course; and I find that I prefer the latter. My best guess would be that I just prefer the way the information is organized. I also really like that the DLI audio portion gives you prompts as to which page you're supposed to be looking at.

I think the Mastering French/German Conversation is a fantastic resource. :) I will probably stick to the DLI because:
1. I like how it's organized
2. It's free
3. I can break down the audio into snippets for Anki, if I so chose. The format you download from Audible isn't capable of being broken down into snippets by Audacity.

These are merely my preferences.
3 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

wwiding
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2151

Postby wwiding » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:42 pm

Out of curiosity. For those of you who have done the FSI or DLI French courses. How have you utilized the material? I've only done four lessons so far but I really like it. Here's how I use them:

Day One: Listen to the audio and follow along with the book.
Day Two: Listen to day one audio without the book and try to dictate what I hear, checking for errors once per page. I don't normally dictate the entire lesson because it's very repetitive and I think writing the same sentence more that four or five times might be overkill.
Day Three: Start the next lesson......

Also when I'm doing random chores around the house I listen and repeat without the aid of the text.

I haven't run into any vocabulary I don't know yet but when I do, I'll learn the unknown words before shadowing/dictating the material.
I really think dictating the lessons is going to help me move from a passive understanding of French to being able to actually use French.

I worry that if I move to fast, I won't retain the material and if I move to slow I'll be working my way through DLI forever.
1 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:28 pm

reineke wrote:Why isn't there something modern and substantial like Mauger or FSI? I think the answer is hiding in the title of this thread. Few people actually finish the darn thing. Also, the FSI students who used these materials were required to do a lot more than simply repeat after the prompts.
I've been looking at some lecture videos, aimed at french modern language students, who use FLE courses as an example of how languages can be taught.

Mauger, they argued, was more about teaching french grammar than spoken french.

The next generation they looked at was Voix et Images de France (That's as far as I've watched)
2 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:55 pm

@wwidding: The FSI Basic and DLI Basic course materials that were produced in the 1960's and 1970's employed the "audio-lingual" method which had been developed during WWII for the use of the U.S. Armed Forces which were faced with the challenge of churning out a large number of military personnel capable of acting (hopefully) as interpreters. Although the method was based on the theories of behavioral science that were well-received at the time, for anyone who has served in the armed forces, it should come as no surprise that the technique was: drill-drill-drill.

The FSI and DLI course materials were designed to be delivered in a classroom setting by a competent instructor to a small number (eight at the maximum) of students who had been chosen for their perceived/tested aptitude for learning a second language. Materials other than those included in the courses were available to the students and, apparently, there was a fair amount of interaction between/amongst the students and the teacher. The students were required to memorize the initial dialogues in the manner that actors memorize scripts. The sentence-pattern exercises served to support and expand upon the points of grammar and vocabulary displayed in the dialogues. In theory, through the massive repetition of the sentence-pattern exercises (over-learning), the student would develop a natural appreciation for the structure of the language. Students were not meant to think about the materials; rather, they were meant to absorb and regurgitate them. The method was adopted for instruction in American High Schools (and perhaps colleges and universities) in the 1960's through the 1970's, but was later replaced.

So then, since none of us are constrained to learn in the above manner and as we do not have access to an instructor who will support us in our the use of these materials, we are free to use them as we please. The question of "how to use the FSI (audio-lingual) materials" has been discussed/debated in this forum a couple of times and, if I recall correctly, numerous times in the forum that preceded this one, the How-To-Learn-Any-Language (HTLAL) forum. Often, the discussion takes place within a discussion thread that began under a separate heading; so, they're not easy to find. Nevertheless, I did manage to locate the one below:

How to use FSI?
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2542

Although I support the comments in the above discussion thread, I would not take the low level of participation in the discussion as being indicative of the level of interest or knowledge of the subject. The question has been discussed so many times over the past decade or so that many of the very knowledgeable users/supporters of these courses simply no longer participate.

To a large extent, your question and your approach to studying could be applied to other course materials, such as Assimil and, in my view, you're on the right track.

EDITED:
Insertion of @wwidding so as to clarify to whom this post was directed.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”