Glossika - do you just listen and repeat?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
samfrances
Orange Belt
Languages: Native: British English
Learning: Spanish (B1/B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2967

Glossika - do you just listen and repeat?

Postby samfrances » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:09 pm

I tried the glossika app recently and I'm a bit confused. Are you just meant to listen and repeat? There doesn't seem to be any facility to hiding the L2 sentence so you can recall the answer before being told, so I guess you're not meant to try to recall the answer, just repeat it after being told?
0 x
: 156 / 156 : Schaum's grammar, Fluent Forever
: 642 / 1000 : Learn / make flashcards for 1000 most frequent Spanish words

Sam's Spanish Log
Sam's Year of Reading Only Spanish
Dipping my toe into Latin

bem
White Belt
Languages: English (native), Japanese (learning)

Re: Glossika - do you just listen and repeat?

Postby bem » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:57 am

Yeah, you listen and/or read and do various forms of production (depending on what form of glossika you're talking about) in order to try to acquire the structure of the language. Additionally, it serves as a form of shadowing.

I'd personally be a bigger fan if there were no more than 1-2 unknown words from sentence to sentence (or if it used some other mechanism to bootstrap the necessary vocabulary to limit the unknown words per sentence) sort of like a multi-language version of the popular Tango series of japanese books (1000 Essential Vocabulary for the JLPT N5, etc) but you can't always get exactly what you want.
4 x

seito
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (N4/N3)

Re: Glossika - do you just listen and repeat?

Postby seito » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:39 pm

bem wrote:I'd personally be a bigger fan if there were no more than 1-2 unknown words from sentence to sentence (or if it used some other mechanism to bootstrap the necessary vocabulary to limit the unknown words per sentence) sort of like a multi-language version of the popular Tango series of japanese books (1000 Essential Vocabulary for the JLPT N5, etc) but you can't always get exactly what you want.

You might be interested in Jalup, which I've mentioned previously. They have i+1 decks that teach in J->E for the first 1000 cards and then J->J after that, using vocab and grammar that has already been taught. There's an Anki version and a custom app that hyperlinks everything on the back of a card to the card that introduced it so you can go back and look at anything you've forgotten immediately. I'm finding my retention rates to be really, really high with this approach.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”