1970s vs 1980s Linguaphone

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
ironjaw
Languages: Danish (N), German (beginner), Norwegian (ALTA 9)

1970s vs 1980s Linguaphone

Postby ironjaw » Thu Oct 08, 2020 5:00 pm

Hello all,

I wanted to ask if anyone is able to explain which version I should go for? I've never used Linguaphone, but reading on this forum I can see many do recommend it. In addition, I am quite intrigued by its history as well as I do like the package as a whole. Those wonderful briefcases and attachés are a great touch. I've ordered a Philips cassette player but don't have a vinyl player. This can be easily bought as needed. However, is there a difference in the course compared to the ones offered in cassette tapes and the ones in vinyl? Or is it the same course just different medium? Also I have seen some courses in brown attache cases. How do they compare?

Please see these two images. Number 1 is the easily recognisable grey/silver course with audio cassette tapes. The second is the vinyl course with the hardback books with national flags.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Re: 1970s vs 1980s Linguaphone

Postby David1917 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:33 am

I think your best bet in determining generation is to find out the number of lessons. 50 lessons = 50s/60s course, 30 lessons = 70s/80s course; with some notable exceptions (I think Dutch and Spanish?).

Zooming in on that German course, it looks like there are 30 lessons. The other giveaway that it is a 70s course is that it includes a 3rd book of exercises which I believe never came with the 50s courses. Either way, you can definitely find a 70s 30-lesson German course with tapes rather than records.

I don't really think there is a hard and fast rule as to the covers/book types. Even within them, there is considerable discrepancy. For example, I have the 30-lesson Arabic course with silver hardcovers and the inside looks pretty different than the silver hardback Prof Arguelles flips through in this video:.

His has the little blue stripes on each page, some color photos, and more importantly the text looks bigger and clearer, whereas half the time I can barely read my own book. Obviously a later printing that I have.
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: 1970s vs 1980s Linguaphone

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu Oct 15, 2020 6:34 pm

David1917 wrote:I think your best bet in determining generation is to find out the number of lessons. 50 lessons = 50s/60s course, 30 lessons = 70s/80s course; with some notable exceptions (I think Dutch and Spanish?).

One exception would be the Irish course from 1986 (first printed in 1974) - it has 48 lessons.

On a side note, the courses from the 50s/60s belong to what Arguelles calls "the polyglot's dream" - same content but in different languages (he talks about this some 3 minutes into the clip).
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”