Song Shadowing with YouTube Music or Spotify

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
mentecuerpo
Blue Belt
Location: El Salvador, Centroamerica, but lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Languages: Spanish (N) English (B2) Italian (A2) German (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p155218

Song Shadowing with YouTube Music or Spotify

Postby mentecuerpo » Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:36 pm

YouTube Music now comes with lyrics.

Pick a few songs you like, hit the thumbs up "like" the AI (and the google team) will learn, and profile the music you want and will make recommendations for you.

Random songs will come up; many songs include the lyrics. You can follow the music and shadow the songs for the entire duration of the song.

If you practice song shadowing daily, you may even achieve benefits equal to those of people who meditate daily. (this is my theory or hypothesis that you can meditate as you shadow songs, which may count as another way of meditation tool; I will ask a meditation monk and get his/her feedback on this issue). The type of music is not essential, it does not have to be a "relaxation meditation music." The important thing is that the singing is clear with a modern language (do not use Bach Cantatas, old German).

I like to do mental shadowing, not speaking out loud shadowing, the meditation shadowing.
Silent shadowing.

A good quality set of headsets help a lot. I am using the Sony MDR-7506 (wire cable), and I like the sound from them.
Bluetooth may not be as good quality sound, but it is convenient. I use Sony WH-XB900N, the bass sound is acceptable.

As you shadow the singer and the music mentally, unwanted intrusive thoughts will always pop up in your mind interfering with your singing shadowing as you listen to the music. Concentrate on the shadowing of the songs and the music when the singer pauses the singing. The ideas are to avoid getting engaged mentally with the free association thoughts coming automatically into your mind while shadowing the songs. (fee association is a term coined by Sigmund Freud over 100 years ago).

If you find that shadowing the songs is too challenging, get the lyrics as you listen to the music and read them silently in your mind trying to synchronize what you are reading with the singer.

Having the lyrics is useful to create word lists for your vocabulary learning. You can create a word list of the terms of interest to you.
A Microsoft excel comes handy to store your words in a simple excel table.

The YouTube Music app for android allows the user to select audio or video, and the lyrics.

The windows PC YouTube Music is easy to use.

By the way, with Spotify, you can install a third party app to obtain the lyrics. QuickLyrics for android.

Happy song shadowing.

QuickLyric - Instant Lyrics
QuickLyric SPRLMusic & Audio
Contains Ads·Offers in-app purchases

Check this one too:
https://lyricstraining.com/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”