El tiempo entre costuras - good audiobook version?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:12 pm

I know there is a book group discussing this in the Spanish section of the forum, but my Spanish is too rusty to post this question there in Spanish and I don't want to post there in English, so I hope someone who knows will see this and respond:

My wife (whose Spanish is more active than mine, but who hasn't done that much reading so far in the language) read and enjoyed the English translation of this novel. We now have the Spanish version of the book.

I'm trying to encourage her to try L-R-ing with it, but obviously need an audiobook to go with it.
I believe there are some tts versions out there, but much more preferable would be one with a professional reader/actor. But I don't know much about the Spanish audiobook scene.

(If we can get one, I might try this myself in due course, when I re-activate my Spanish, which I'm hoping to do before to long).

Thanks for any pointers.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: El tiempo entre costuras - good audiobook version?

Postby Serpent » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:24 pm

Honestly that thread probably looks good and cool if you just see it in active topics but never read... actually I think Spoonary was the only one who finished the book. At 600 pages it was way too long and sometimes boring. (I didn't even sign up because the series is so short and I couldn't imagine reading so much of that :D) We're currently discussing a new reading club/the next book to try.

If you've not seen the series I strongly recommend it :D
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).

Postby Montmorency » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:13 am

Serpent wrote:Honestly that thread probably looks good and cool if you just see it in active topics but never read... actually I think Spoonary was the only one who finished the book. At 600 pages it was way too long and sometimes boring. (I didn't even sign up because the series is so short and I couldn't imagine reading so much of that :D) We're currently discussing a new reading club/the next book to try.

A mere 600 pages? Ah, lightweights! :-) :-) :wink:

If you've not seen the series I strongly recommend it :D

No I haven't. Sounds like a good idea. I'm sure my wife would like it.
1 x

nj24
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B2), Italian (B2), French (B1), Latin, Biblical Hebrew.

Postby nj24 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:38 am

Hi, Montmorency! I read El tiempo entre costuras with the book group. I had already seen the series which I also definitely recommend. The series is a little more exciting than the book so I'm sure your wife will enjoy it. Anyhow, reading and listening to the book at the same time sounds like a great idea! Wish I had thought of that when I read it. :)

I did a quick search for an "audiolibro" of the book on Google. This one on YouTube sounds like it is read by a professional voice actor. It looks like it is the whole book. Hope that helps!
2 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:08 pm

Serpent wrote:Honestly that thread probably looks good and cool if you just see it in active topics but never read... actually I think Spoonary was the only one who finished the book. At 600 pages it was way too long and sometimes boring.

Hehe, a few others got to the end too. I wasn't the only brave soul :P

Also, I think I found the book a bit dull in parts because it just didn't match up with my interests. By the looks of it, Montmorency's wife won't have that problem because she already enjoyed the story in English.

The language was a bit... complex at times though; with lots of metaphors and uncommon vocabulary choices. Still, I'm sure having already read the book in English will help a lot.
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:56 pm

nj24 wrote: Anyhow, reading and listening to the book at the same time sounds like a great idea! Wish I had thought of that when I read it. :)

the listening-reading technique is more than just that :)
1 x
Corrections welcome

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Postby Montmorency » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:39 pm

nj24 wrote:Hi, Montmorency! I read El tiempo entre costuras with the book group. I had already seen the series which I also definitely recommend. The series is a little more exciting than the book so I'm sure your wife will enjoy it. Anyhow, reading and listening to the book at the same time sounds like a great idea! Wish I had thought of that when I read it. :)

I did a quick search for an "audiolibro" of the book on Google. This one on YouTube sounds like it is read by a professional voice actor. It looks like it is the whole book. Hope that helps!

Muchas gracias! :-)
0 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt

Postby Montmorency » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:43 pm

Spoonary wrote:
Serpent wrote:Honestly that thread probably looks good and cool if you just see it in active topics but never read... actually I think Spoonary was the only one who finished the book. At 600 pages it was way too long and sometimes boring.

Hehe, a few others got to the end too. I wasn't the only brave soul :P

Also, I think I found the book a bit dull in parts because it just didn't match up with my interests. By the looks of it, Montmorency's wife won't have that problem because she already enjoyed the story in English.

Yes, she could relate to the seamstress aspect, as sewing and similar things are hobbies of hers.

The language was a bit... complex at times though; with lots of metaphors and uncommon vocabulary choices. Still, I'm sure having already read the book in English will help a lot.

OK, thanks. That could be a bit of a problem, but I think she does need to stretch herself a little bit, so let's hope it works for her.
And thanks for your response.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:56 pm

The thing is, I also found it relatable when it didn't take much effort (my mum is a fashion designer :D)
But when it's not a video series or a book in L1 it can be too difficult to be enjoyable.
0 x
Corrections welcome

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:13 am

[Spoiler Alert, sort of!] By page 100, I thought I was reading a Shaggy Dog Story. The novel seemed to be going nowhere, and going there very slowly to boot. ;)
I have not seen the TV shows, and did not even know there was a TV series. I look forward though to investigating the audiobook. Audiobooks make even Proust interesting. :roll: ;)
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”