tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Re: Questions about Russian Courses

Postby tarvos » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:06 pm

На вкус и цвет все фломастеры разные... а товарищей нет!
0 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:33 pm

What about the course from the Princeton university? It's fairly extensive, has a lot of audio and is freely available.
1 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:34 pm

Nonetheless, I support the oft-stated criticism of the Assimil method as to the weak explanations of grammar and, in addition, that the pace or learning-curve some of the individual courses can be breathtakingly steep. In my review, the latter comment applies to Assimil Russian and, for this reason, given the availability of so many other options for learning what-is-for-native-English-speakers a difficult language, I would not begin my studies with Assimil Russian . Rather, I would begin with some other very basic method and use Assimil as additional practice materials.

Well, everyone's different. The risk of starting with a "very basic method" (Duolingo comes to mind) is that halfway through the course all you can really say is "This is my duck", wanderlust kicks in, and then the Duolingo Klingon course becomes available and you realize Russian wasn't the language for you after all. That's a different kind of failure than giving up because something is too hard, but I'm not sure it's a better kind of failure. ;)

The Assimil course is relatively entertaining and 30 minutes a day should be enough (if used as directed) to get a handle on the material. Maybe a few days you have to repeat a lesson so it sinks in. That's not so bad.

So I disagree it's too steep, although I do agree about the weak grammar. I will probably pick up the "New Penguin Russian" book for that ...
0 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:13 pm

Arnaud wrote:Reading again the OP, I see that he prefers bilingual texts, so Ruslan and Teach Yourself (by Daphne West) are perhaps not the best books for him, as the texts are not translated: there are only vocabulary lists.

I can handle untranslated texts if there's a complete vocabulary list and decent grammar explanations. What makes me crazy is the phrase book style, where there's no breakdown of what particular words mean, or why their inflections are changing.
0 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Ed1991
White Belt
Languages: Russian (B1), Ukrainian (A1)

Postby Ed1991 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:27 am

I have used both the Colloquial and The New Penguin course for Russian. I would recommend both as they provide a nice introduction to the language and the grammar if you make sure you work through the exercises.

The Princeton course is also worth taking a look at and can be downloaded for free. Though the pace of the course is rather slow in my opinion.

I would also recommend something like Русский язык в упражнениях. The old edition can be found with a simple Google and the book contains hundreds and hundreds of grammar exercises with a key at the back.
Last edited by Ed1991 on Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:07 am

deleted
Last edited by Arnaud on Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:31 am

I really liked Colloquial Russian - it is a method that fits my learning style. It can feel a bit heavy in the beginning, as you get a lot of new vocabulary in each lesson and you dive into complex grammar pretty quickly, but it has comprehensive wordlists for each lesson and the grammar explanations are good in my view.

I wouldn't bother about the audio that goes with it though. It does not have audio for all the texts, far from it, and a lot of it is an obnoxious voice giving you instructions in posh English about answering questions, repeating phrases and so on. For audio, Assimil is much better.

Another good course is Langenscheidt, but to use that you need to know German.
1 x
Ich grolle nicht

peterbeischmidt
Yellow Belt

Postby peterbeischmidt » Wed Nov 25, 2015 5:05 pm

I recently came across the textbook author Nina Potapova, who authored numerous Russian textbooks, such as: Fifty Lessons in Russian, Russian Elementary Course (two volumes) and Learning Russian (again two volumes). They have been translated into many different languages, among them French, Spanish, Portuguese and German, in addition to English.

Her "Russian Course for English Speaking People" also comes with audio recordings. On Worldcat I found a list of libraries that hold copies: http://www.worldcat.org/title/russian-c ... lc/4116252

The first person who manages to obtain a copy of the recordings will receive my personal "Obscure Language Material Digger of the Year" award.

Ogrim wrote:Another good course is Langenscheidt, but to use that you need to know German.

It's a pleasure to see them being mentioned! Over the decades Langenscheidt has published an array of Russian courses. I recently bought the vinyl records for "30 Stunden Russisch" and "Praktisches Lehrbuch Russisch" on Ebay for the price of a pack of coffee. In my opinion they are on par with the old Linguaphone courses in terms of their quality.

For those who would like to know more, user Kronos posted a meticulously researched list of their self-teaching language manuals on HTLAL: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... 33214&PN=2
Last edited by peterbeischmidt on Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Postby tangleweeds » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:31 pm

peterbeischmidt wrote:Her "Russian Course for English Speaking People" also comes with audio recordings. On Worldcat I found a list of libraries that hold copies: http://www.worldcat.org/title/russian-c ... lc/4116252.

LP recordings! Must find a hipster to rip from vinyl for me...
1 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”