ModernStates language courses?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
annelions
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A1), German (A1), Italian (A1), Croatian (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15851

ModernStates language courses?

Postby annelions » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:35 pm

Has anyone here used the ModernStates CLEP preparation language program(s) to gain fluency in a language? Modern States has French, Spanish, and German courses available for free. If you did follow the course, how did it go? I haven't taken a language class since Spanish in jr high/high school. It was kind of hard to learn when the lesson for the day was a fuzzy Destinos lesson that could barely be heard. I came out of the classes being able to read Spanish to a degree but I can't really speak or understand spoken Spanish that well.

I know the general advice is to start by getting a textbook and to follow that but I have a hard time with this advice; textbooks are just so boring and dry!
0 x
Spanish
: 1 / 17 ModernStates
: 2 / 16 Forge
: 0 / 100 Busuu
Croatian
: 0 / 18 Teach Yourself
: 1 / 38 Mondly
German
: 0 / 100 Assimil
: 1 / 64 Lingodeer

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Re: ModernStates language courses?

Postby eido » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:13 pm

annelions wrote:I know the general advice is to start by getting a textbook and to follow that but I have a hard time with this advice; textbooks are just so boring and dry!

What then is your preferred method of learning, and why are you seeking out these courses in particular? I’m not familiar with them personally.
0 x

annelions
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A1), German (A1), Italian (A1), Croatian (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15851

Re: ModernStates language courses?

Postby annelions » Fri Aug 21, 2020 1:37 pm

I've mostly been flitting around with various apps and trying different things, not being overly serious about learning until now. Getting to just a decent A2 level is difficult when you can't find comprehensible input.

I like that Modern States is structured, has both video and texts, and is easy to navigate. Most of the things I've played with over the years fail on at least one of these points. It being free to use is another huge bonus.
0 x
Spanish
: 1 / 17 ModernStates
: 2 / 16 Forge
: 0 / 100 Busuu
Croatian
: 0 / 18 Teach Yourself
: 1 / 38 Mondly
German
: 0 / 100 Assimil
: 1 / 64 Lingodeer

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”