substudy: Make Anki cards and other resources from video & bilingual subtitles (command-line)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Uncle Roger
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (Native), English (as good as you see me write it here?), Norwegian (C1?), French (B2), Swedish (B1?)

Re: substudy: Make Anki cards and other resources from video & bilingual subtitles (command-line)

Postby Uncle Roger » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:45 pm

I reckon that the combination of not being the actual movie, the obscurity of this type of approach to studying languages and the fact that the community on the net could be anonymous would make the risk tolerable?

Are opensubtitles.org and such sites at risk of legal action? I mean, compared to torrent sites?
0 x
«If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.»
Frank Zappa

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: substudy: Make Anki cards and other resources from video & bilingual subtitles (command-line)

Postby rdearman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:51 pm

Uncle Roger wrote:I reckon that the combination of not being the actual movie, the obscurity of this type of approach to studying languages and the fact that the community on the net could be anonymous would make the risk tolerable?

Are opensubtitles.org and such sites at risk of legal action? I mean, compared to torrent sites?

You can do what you like, but you can't do it here.

Copyright violations: We hate receiving angry letters from lawyers almost as much as the ones from Her Majesty's Government. More importantly, many good language courses are made by small publishers and family companies like Assimil. We want to encourage these people to create more resources. Please do not share illegally copied materials, or link to sites which are primarily used for that purpose. Some external sites like YouTube have their own mechanisms for taking down content, and it's usually safe to link to short excerpts on these sites—but not complete movies or TV shows.

The administrators of this website will not tolerate the illegal distribution or links to the illegal distribution of copyrighted material. Encouraging the use of illegal copyrighted material is also prohibited. This forum operations under the UK copyright system and the courts in the UK routinely issue injunctions in order to regulate and legislate to reduce copyright infringement. More information can be found on the UK Government Website. You can find more information about "Fair Use" and exceptions under UK copyright on that website if you're unsure about sharing a small portion of copyrighted material for criticism, review or quotation.
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:09 am

Uncle Roger wrote:I reckon that the combination of not being the actual movie, the obscurity of this type of approach to studying languages and the fact that the community on the net could be anonymous would make the risk tolerable?

We are not anonymous here since many of us are known publicly and the hosting is identified.
Even hosting or downloading to anonymous networks will get you a nice letter (I have one) since copyright holders can and do identify IP holders via telecom requests.

As to opensubtitles.org the short answer is "yes, they are at risk."
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Uncle Roger
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (Native), English (as good as you see me write it here?), Norwegian (C1?), French (B2), Swedish (B1?)

Postby Uncle Roger » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:18 am

Rdearman, no, of course I wouldn't want to put ALLF at risk... If even Open Subtitles is at risk, then the dream is gone I guess :O

Thanks
1 x
«If you want to get laid, go to college. If you want an education, go to the library.»
Frank Zappa

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:03 am

Uncle Roger wrote:Are opensubtitles.org and such sites at risk of legal action? I mean, compared to torrent sites?

In Sweden we had a similar site named Undertexter. It didn't have original subtitles but translations into Swedish by anonymous users. The court ruled that the translations followed the dialog fairly well and hence it was illegal. The owner was sentenced to probation for copyright infringement and his money was confiscated.

People have been wishing for a subs2srs database for ages but the only one I know about is a blog filled with Japanese content.
1 x

Uncle Roger
Orange Belt

Postby Uncle Roger » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:20 am

I see... Tack så mycket
0 x
Frank Zappa

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:15 pm

Stefan wrote:People have been wishing for a subs2srs database for ages but the only one I know about is a blog filled with Japanese content.

I'm currently running some JPOD101 lessons through Aegisub and I'll then run those subs through subs2srs to end up with some flashcards. I can't think of any legal way of releasing the legwork. The subs obviously contain the original Japanese and English text and that's copyrighted.

I suppose it would be possible to come up with something that took the subs and turned them into something that amounted to the timing for a given line plus the starting and ending offset of the characters in the source PDF. That could then be released along with a script to recreate the subs for someone who had the original PDF. I don't know of any such tool though.
0 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”