Remote Languages from a French Base: Harmattan, Karthala

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Speakeasy

Remote Languages from a French Base: Harmattan, Karthala

Postby Speakeasy » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:25 pm

Revision to the Title
In light of eplumb's mention of the publisher "Karthala" below (avec remerciements), I have revised the title of this discussion thread so as to high-light the existence of both websites.

Original Post
While surfing the Internet recently, I came across the website of the French publishing house Les Éditions L’Harmattan or simply L’Harmattan. What struck me as interesting was their collection of materials on rather “remote” languages. While their materials are offered in French only, I thought it worthy of note. Here is the LINK to their website. http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... cialite=34 Select “Méthode” to view the list of language courses.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:01 am, edited 8 times in total.
6 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: L’Harmattan: Remote Languages from a French Base

Postby iguanamon » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:57 pm

I have Grammaire du Creóle Martiniquais en 50 leçons. It's the only one that I know of available anywhere.
3 x

Bakunin
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English, Thai, Swiss-German (adv.), Khmer, Isaan (studying); dormant: French, Polish

Postby Bakunin » Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:05 pm

They also publish "Parlons Kouy"
Le kouy est une langue parlée au Sud du Laos, au Nord-Ouest de la Thaïlande et au Nord du Cambodge. Comme toutes les langues sans tradition écrite,qui occupent un vaste espace géographique, le kouy compte de nombreux dialectes. Celui qui est retenu ici est l'un des deux grands parlers du Cambodge, à savoir celui pratiqué dans la province du Kompong Thom et au Sud du Preah Vihear.

As far as I know they're the only one who have ever published anything on that language for learners (the empty set if you take out missionaries hahaha) ... Kuy is on my hit list 8-) but not right now. I was aware of that book, but I hadn't realized that they publish materials on quite a large number of small languages. Great find!
1 x

eplumb
White Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2), Wolof (B1), Spanish (A0), Seerer (A0)

Postby eplumb » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:30 am

This is another great publisher (I wish I had more $ to spend on their books!) for dictionaries and language courses from a French base

http://www.karthala.com/106-dictionnaires-et-langues
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”