Subasub, a tool to learn vocabulary by seeing words in context

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
larion

Subasub, a tool to learn vocabulary by seeing words in context

Postby larion » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:26 pm

I made a website to look up words and phrases in dialogues from movies. This way you can see how these words are used idiomatically.

http://www.subasub.com

It also translates words to give you some idea about them, so it can function as a very basic dictionary. It currently supports these languages: English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Dutch, Hungarian.

I would be very happy to get some feedback on it. Maybe you are missing a feature or you would like another language etc. It is still under active development, so there are probably quiet a few things to improve on.

Larion
3 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: Subasub, a tool to learn vocabulary by seeing words in context

Postby emk » Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:49 pm

larion wrote:I made a website to look up words and phrases in dialogues from movies. This way you can see how these words are used idiomatically.

http://www.subasub.com

It also translates words to give you some idea about them, so it can function as a very basic dictionary. It currently supports these languages: English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Dutch, Hungarian.

Nicely done! I searched for portière "car door, door", and it gave me this:
lang-subasub-portiere.png

That's a very useful tool!

What data set are you running off of? Open Subtitles, or the aligned subtitle corpus from OPUS? The latter would allow you to show parallel text in multiple languages, but it would require more pre-processing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

larion

Re: Subasub, a tool to learn vocabulary by seeing words in context

Postby larion » Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:05 pm

Thanks a lot!

emk wrote:
What data set are you running off of? Open Subtitles, or the aligned subtitle corpus from OPUS? The latter would allow you to show parallel text in multiple languages, but it would require more pre-processing.

I am using the parallel corpus. So yes I am actually planning to implement your suggestion in the near future. :)

L
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”