Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

I almost hate mentioning: Rocket Languages

Postby tangleweeds » Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:32 am

Their pseudo-review affiliate advertising is ghastly, but I've been trying out their sample Japanese and it's been a very good fit with my learning style and status in re-learning. Apparently they've updated it quite a bit recently, particularly the speech recoginition, though to me the UI still looks cluttered and retro (not in a good way). Whatever the case there, it seems to work better for me than other apps or online programs I've tried of late.

I'm curious what other people who've gotten past the promotional spam to actually try it out think about it. Searching logs, I see a few others uing it. What do you think? Also, do they run regular/seasonal sales at discounted prices, or do I need to grab the initial discount now?

[A little background: a couple of years back I appear to have had a small stroke in my language centers, of all things as a result of a ghastly reaction to MRI dye while attempting to diagnose a different neurological issue. Since I'd just had an MRI, crazy US insurance wouldn't authorize ze another, it was a 6 month wait to see a neurologist again and a year to authorize a second opinion, etc etc etc. The upshot is that I ended up having to create my own rehab program using reading apps to bring back my ability to read at all, with the unexpected result that I have a very difficult time reading from paper books anymore (fortunately ebooks work somewhat better), but my reconstructed brain just loves learning via app]
[edited for spelling]
Last edited by tangleweeds on Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

JohannaNYC
Yellow Belt
Languages: In order of fluency: English (L2), Spanish (L1),
Italian (Adv.), Croatian (Int.), French (Adv. Beg.),
Egyptian Arabic (Beg.), Greek (New Beg.), Russian (New Beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15795

Re: I almost hate mentioning: Rocket Languages

Postby JohannaNYC » Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:22 pm

I've used it for Arabic and I like it. I don't know about the advertisement as I got mine for free.

The good news is that they do have several 60% sales throughout the year, usually around American holidays, but sometimes randomly. They just had one at the beginning of July for Independence Day, so the next one will probably be at the beginning of September.
3 x
Corrections welcomed!

tangleweeds
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
beginner: Irish
clearing cobwebs: Japanese
on the shelf: French, Latin
wanderlust: Norwegian, Vietnamese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=705

Re: I almost hate mentioning: Rocket Languages

Postby tangleweeds » Mon Jul 27, 2020 1:44 am

JohannaNYC wrote:The good news is that they do have several 60% sales throughout the year, usually around American holidays, but sometimes randomly. They just had one at the beginning of July for Independence Day, so the next one will probably be at the beginning of September.

Excellent, thank you. I suspected as much. I might get level one now and see how much I use it.
1 x
Neurological odyssey is going better! Yay!

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”