Streaming International TV channel

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Streaming International TV channel

Postby kanewai » Sat Oct 24, 2015 7:21 am

(I'm cutting and pasting this from HTLAL using my phone; I hope the formatting works!)

MHz has finally launched their streaming channel, and at first take it looks pretty awesome. The focus is on Italian, French, German, and Nordic dramas. There are dozens of shows, and thousands of hours, which is pretty impressive.

It's only in the U.S., so someone will half to report back if the unblocking programs work. First month is free, then it's $9/month after. So far I'm super impressed. Though I've been wrong on streaming channels before - sometimes there's a lot of junk and you run out of the good stuff quickly.

I starred the shows I know and like. A lot of the others I've never heard of. They don't list the shows on their website, so this list is taken from around the web. Some are new series that aren't up yet.

French
* A French Village
* Blood of the Vine
* Spiral
* Nicolas le Floch
Paris
Maigret
Kaboul Kitchen
Frank Riva
Blood on the Docks
Antigone 34
Bureau of Sexist Affairs
Nestor Burma
Caïn
Détectives

Italian
* Detective Montalbano
The Young Montalbano
Fog and Crimes
Don Matteo
Cesare More
Vanishing of Pato
Inspector Manara
Homicide Squad
Giovanne Falcone
Donna Detective
Detective De Luca
Detective Vivaldi
The Octopus (La piovra)
Anti-Drug Squad (Caccia al re – La narcotici)
The Arrival of Wang (L’arrivo di Wang)
The Charterhouse of Parma (La certosa di Parma)

Swiss German
The Undertaker (Der Bestatter)

Belgian
W – The Killer of Flanders Fields (Witse)

German
Weissensee
Homicide Unit Istanbul
Commissario Brunetti
Crime Scene Cleaner (Der Tatortreiniger)
Turkish for Beginners (Türkisch für Anfänger)
Flemming

Denmark
The Eagle (Ørnen)
The Legacy (Arvingerne)

Norwegian
The Heavy Water War (Kampen om tungtvannet)
Mammon
Codename Hunter (Kodenavn Hunter)
Goodnight Darling (God natt, elskede)

Finnish
Look of a Killer (Tappajan näköinen mies)

Swedish
Talisman (Talismanen)
Medicine Man (Medicinmannen)
Camilla Läckberg’s Fjällbacka Murders (Fjällbackamorden)
Johan Falk
Beck
The Bridge (Bron/Broen)

I've been struggling to find good Italian media. Montalbano alone will be enough to actually allow me to finish the Super Challenge!
4 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Re: Streaming International TV channel

Postby Teango » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:31 am

Aloha, e kanewai! Sounds like an interesting channel...is it possible to switch off English subtitles for these shows?
0 x

kanewai
Blue Belt
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Sat Oct 24, 2015 8:53 am

I'm watching a show now using roku, and paused it to look. I couldn't find any way to turn them off.

Also, the design of the channel is atrocious. There's no way to save series to a list, or to see what you've been watching. If you stop mid show you've got to scroll through every series to find it again again. It doesn't mark shows you've watched, or remember where you were in a show. The fast forward doesn't work well - you have to hit pause, then the ff button. It will make a random jump of five to nine minutes. Sometimes. Sometimes nothing happens. There's no way I've found to fine tune the fast forward.

This is frankly a bit shocking. The content is amazing. The best I've found for Italian by far. The design is barely functional.

E aloha!
2 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:11 am

kanewai wrote:I'm watching a show now using roku, and paused it to look. I couldn't find any way to turn them off.

Also, the design of the channel is atrocious. There's no way to save series to a list, or to see what you've been watching. If you stop mid show you've got to scroll through every series to find it again again. It doesn't mark shows you've watched, or remember where you were in a show. The fast forward doesn't work well - you have to hit pause, then the ff button. It will make a random jump of five to nine minutes. Sometimes. Sometimes nothing happens. There's no way I've found to fine tune the fast forward.

This is frankly a bit shocking. The content is amazing. The best I've found for Italian by far. The design is barely functional.

E aloha!

The subscription cost about $96 per year. For $50 per year you can subscribe to a VPN such as Tunnelbear and get access to "live" streaming and on-demand videos. I use Tunnelbear and am quite happy with it.
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:04 pm

The Welsh TV channel S4C "Clic" internet service is generally restricted to people in the UK.

However, they have made a subset of their programmes available internationally:

http://www.s4c.cymru/en/international

(Note that as far as I know, there is no official way of downloading these).
0 x

kanewai
Blue Belt

Postby kanewai » Sat Oct 24, 2015 9:14 pm

tomgosse wrote:The subscription cost about $96 per year. For $50 per year you can subscribe to a VPN such as Tunnelbear and get access to "live" streaming and on-demand videos. I use Tunnelbear and am quite happy with it.

What kinds of shows are you findin through Tunnelbear? When I've used VPNs before I could never find top-tier content. That is, I could find lots of regular tv, nature documentaries, budget movies, etc,, but I could never find shows like Un village français or Nicolas le Floch.

Still, though, if there were a way to use a VPN on an actual tv I'd give it another shot!
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sat Oct 24, 2015 10:24 pm

Nice, but just for the americans :-( Just like the new youtube red

I briefly hoped for an alternative to piracy, 8 dollars would be totally within my budget and without the annoying dvds with horrendous delivery fees. Nope, back to piracy. :-(
4 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”