Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Re: Vocabulaire progressif du français - Niveau perfectionnement

Postby garyb » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:42 am

Yep, from the table of contents and first few pages like the lesson on endroit, lieu, etc. this looks great. I was sceptical as I didn't see the point of a "vocabulary book", I imagined it would just be word lists and origins, but it indeed seems to focus much more on common mistakes and which word to use in which situation. Like the Grammaire Progressive, which is more about learning to use the rules than learning the rules themselves. If I start studying French again it'll be at the top of my list too.
2 x

sctroyenne
Orange Belt
Location: Montreal, QC (moved from the SF Bay Area living my dream!)
Languages: French (C2), Irish (beg-intermediate), Spanish (intermediate but mostly passive)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=767

Re: Vocabulaire progressif du français - Niveau perfectionnement

Postby sctroyenne » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:33 am

I got the book! It really is as great as it looks. As I said, a lot of the vocabulary they've selected is the kind of stuff I've been picking out on my own from articles and reviewing in Anki (I think each page has at least two words or expressions that are already in my Anki deck). And the subject areas are great. I really like how they present the vocabulary in sentences that define the terms and synonyms/antonyms for you in context (there are some you may need to look up for further precision).

And as for questions on how to activate vocabulary? The exercises are great for that - especially the fill-in-the-blanks and the exercises where you have to find another way of saying the same thing (especially good for "linking" words and phrases). And the free response exercises give me a chance to build my talking "islands" using focused vocabulary.

I haven't tried the audio yet. I'll give an update if I find there's anything interesting to note about it. A lot of the book is fine for self-study but for some exercises you may need to consult with a teacher or friendly native speaker to tell you why certain answers are right or wrong.
10 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”