Flashcard program

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Flashcard program

Postby kanewai » Sun May 24, 2020 12:23 pm

I have spent the better part of the day, and late into the night, building an excel spreadsheet of the first 500 words in my Homeric Greek course ... and now can't find a program that will make flashcards out of them.

Anki - Will only let me upload decks from a desktop app. I cannot download any new apps onto my computer (security restrictions). There are no options I can find to upload a new deck using the iphone app or the web browser.

Brainscapes - It won't accept excel files using non-Latin characters. It recommends using an Apache OpenOffice program - but I don't have a laptop.

Ankiapp - These guys just seem to be cashing in on Anki's reputation, so I'd rather avoid them.

What else is there? I don't need anything fancy. I just want to upload my file and have flashcards come out the other end.

(alternatively: is there a site where you can send your files and they will upload it to anki?)
0 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Flashcard program

Postby rdearman » Sun May 24, 2020 1:54 pm

In theory you could manually create a Anki file from a spreadsheet. However, you could use smallwhites spreadsheet study and forgo the flashcards completely. If you can't find out how to do it I will update this later when I am not on a phone.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun May 24, 2020 2:30 pm

Quizlet.com

You just COPY the 500 rows x 2 columns in Excel, then PASTE in Quizlet.

It has built-in Modern Greek TTS so it might read out your Homeric Greek but read it funny.

Ready-made Homeric Greek decks:
https://quizlet.com/subject/Homeric-Greek/

LLorg thread:
Do You Like Quizlet?
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (beginner), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (sidelined)

Postby Decidida » Sun May 24, 2020 3:00 pm

Ancient Greek fonts have always been a problem, and I suspect always will. Years ago, I thought technology would catch up, but it doesn't. Technology is always expanding faster than it can clean up behind itself. Software never gets finished enough to include accents before getting another major update that does not include them yet.

When studying Ancient Greek, I had to adapt to learning oldschool methods of drills. Even throwing money at prepackaged Greek software wasn't worth it in the long-run. I'd pay way too much money and spend way too much time learning a new piece of software just to have an update make it crash or even obsolete.

Good luck!
0 x

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Sun May 24, 2020 10:43 pm

smallwhite wrote:Quizlet.com

You just COPY the 500 rows x 2 columns in Excel, then PASTE in Quizlet.

It has built-in Modern Greek TTS so it might read out your Homeric Greek but read it funny.
Thanks, this seems to be working! It was easy to cut and paste directly into the program, which made life so much easier. So far it's reproducing the Greek exactly as I entered it.

I'm just using this to review vocabulary before each new lesson. For each verb I'll run though the present indicative in my mind (it's as far as I've gotten), and I'll decline each noun. I wanted to use my own spreadsheet as I can pair it with the appropriate lesson.

You can only import Anki decks using the desktop application. I know it's a robust program with a great reputation, but it can be too much for those of us with simpler needs!
3 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

Decidida
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (sidelined), Haitian Creole (beginner), Latin (forgotten), Ancient Greek (sidelined)

Postby Decidida » Sun May 24, 2020 11:14 pm

I'm so glad you got it to work! If I could have back all the hours I wasted trying to type Ancient Greek. LOL.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”