Kwiziq- how good is it? And how do you best use it?

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Re: Kwiziq- how good is it? And how do you best use it?

Postby jeffers » Fri May 22, 2020 8:52 pm

jackb wrote:I tried the reading and writing sections, but I think there are better ways to address those skills. If I finish all of the french material, maybe I'll look at those again.

Off topic, but a dictée is a good way to practice listening, spelling and writing skills. I found this site this week: https://dictee.orthodidacte.com/. The teacher speaks, you type in a textbox, and when you're done press the button to see your errors.
4 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

kanewai
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Active: Italian
Maintenance: Spanish, French
Priors: Chuukese (Micronesian), Indonesian, Latin, Greek (epic and modern), Turkish, Arabic

Postby kanewai » Sun May 24, 2020 1:34 am

The "recommended lessons" are a preview of what your next set of questions will be. Sometimes I skip reading through them entirely, or only look at new ones, or on ones where I keep making errors. It also depends on what level I'm working on - it's easy enough to jump around. Some weeks I'll just work on a lower level to fill in the map; some days I'll rotate and take one test at every level.

One part of kwiziq I haven't used enough is "my notebook," where you can store lessons you want to come back to. I still have a hard time remembering what prepositions to use with cities, regions, states, and countries - so I have all those lessons stored in the notebook. I should probably review it more.

And in retrospect, I think I only got one free week too.
2 x
Super Challenge - 50 books
Italian: 11 / 50
Spanish: 50 / 50
French: 16 / 50

jeffers
Blue Belt

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)

Postby jeffers » Sun May 24, 2020 11:04 am

I noticed in Bex's log that she had a nice chart from Kwiziq titled "Your Progress So Far". It is a bar chart showing what % she has achieved for each level and how many of the lessons at each level she has completed. How do you get to see that chart? Is it hiding somewhere on the dashboard? Or do they email it periodically? (I asked on Bex's log, but others wanting to know how to use Kwiziq are more likely to see the answer here).
0 x

mattf789
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (A1)
French (beginner)

Postby mattf789 » Sun May 24, 2020 11:14 am

jeffers wrote:I noticed in Bex's log that she had a nice chart from Kwiziq titled "Your Progress So Far". It is a bar chart showing what % she has achieved for each level and how many of the lessons at each level she has completed. How do you get to see that chart? Is it hiding somewhere on the dashboard? Or do they email it periodically? (I asked on Bex's log, but others wanting to know how to use Kwiziq are more likely to see the answer here).

My dashboard looks like this jeffers, chart bottom right. Click the little chart icon next to each level for a chart for individual courses.
0 x
Official Memrise French 1-7: 3100 / 3100
Assimil French: 11 / 113
Overall French Memrise Progress: 3323 / 6000

jeffers
Blue Belt

Postby jeffers » Sun May 24, 2020 12:27 pm

mattf789 wrote:
jeffers wrote:I noticed in Bex's log that she had a nice chart from Kwiziq titled "Your Progress So Far". It is a bar chart showing what % she has achieved for each level and how many of the lessons at each level she has completed. How do you get to see that chart? Is it hiding somewhere on the dashboard? Or do they email it periodically? (I asked on Bex's log, but others wanting to know how to use Kwiziq are more likely to see the answer here).

My dashboard looks like this jeffers, chart bottom right. Click the little chart icon next to each level for a chart for individual courses.

I've found those, but the chart I'm talking about shows your progess for all of the levels. I'm including a picture below. Bex said she can only see it by going to the cancel subscription renewal page.

progress so far chart.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

mattf789
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (A1)
French (beginner)

Postby mattf789 » Sun May 24, 2020 12:50 pm

jeffers wrote:
mattf789 wrote:

I've found those, but the chart I'm talking about shows your progess for all of the levels. I'm including a picture below. Bex said she can only see it by going to the cancel subscription renewal page.

Ah I see I misread your question. If you click the dropdown menu top right and go to my achievements does the chart on the right show the same information? I haven't done enough for it to show anything.
0 x
Official Memrise French 1-7: 3100 / 3100
Assimil French: 11 / 113
Overall French Memrise Progress: 3323 / 6000

jeffers
Blue Belt

Postby jeffers » Sun May 24, 2020 1:03 pm

mattf789 wrote:Ah I see I misread your question. If you click the dropdown menu top right and go to my achievements does the chart on the right show the same information? I haven't done enough for it to show anything.

That page has a chart of CEFR level progress, but what it's missing is the column showing how many topics have been tested, which I think is the most useful part of the chart Bex showed.
0 x

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Tue May 26, 2020 10:38 am

I like it, in small doses.

I wrote in my log recently: It looks like they've been adding more advanced material and it seems to be finding a nice niche as a site focused on teaching and practising idiomatic usage and structures, finding that elusive balance of material that is not too simple for more advanced learners yet still very useful and not falling into the trap of teaching "advanced" idioms just for their own sake.

However it does tend to keep repeating the same concepts over and over again to the point where it feels like it's testing cue recognition more than language knowledge, and some of these concepts are more useful than others, so I find that a few quizzes per week are plenty and I couldn't imagine wanting to pay for more.

I also found the content to be much more complete and more comprehensive for Spanish than for French; for French it seemed more focused on the basics while for Spanish it went into a lot more depth. That was over a year ago and I've not tried it for French again since then so it may well have improved.

It could potentially become a very good resource worth paying for in future, and I think it's on the right track but not quite there yet.
2 x

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Tue May 26, 2020 11:04 am

I'm about to finish my 3 month subscription and 3 months was more than enough for me but I did find it extremely helpful.

It is very repetitive (as mentioned earlier) which I agree causes cue recognition which is a problem.

However I did contact Kwiziq over a few issues I was having with the system, partly because there's various ways to use it and they sent me this...

One thing I note from looking at your test history is that you've rarely taken several Studyplan tests in a row. It looks like you tend to take one and then move on to a micro-kwiz (which are the quick recap kwizzes at the ends of lessons). If you take several Studyplan tests instead, the system will gradually give you more challenging questions on the same lessons before they're filtered out of your recommended list. That way, you'll also get a much greater pool of questions on any one lesson, which in turn should help Kwizbot get a clearer idea on the areas you've covered and the confidence level you've reached with each of them accordingly.

When you reach 75% at the current level and your recommended level changes, do take a look at the lessons and if there's anything that feels too advanced, just take a level test for that level to get started. That way, although you'll be tested on questions from the level at random, the lessons recommended to you thereafter will be based on your results from that test, which should help you start with a list more tailored to your current knowledge base.

I actually found this advice useful and so I thought I'd share it here, in case it might help others.

One of the problems with Kwiziq I found is that is teaches in an odd order. I was presented with lessons about subjunctive usage before any lessons on how to create the subjunctive conjugations, so I was unable to even understand the questions!

All in all I'd say Kwiziq really brilliant for finding missing/weak areas and revision but I think a good old fashioned textbook is still better for learning grammar in the first place.
6 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

jeffers
Blue Belt

Postby jeffers » Thu May 28, 2020 5:59 pm

jeffers wrote:
mattf789 wrote:

I asked on the forums in Kwiziq about this chart, and I got an email telling me that it's on the dashboard. When I replied to the email and included the print screen, I got another reply telling me about other charts that I already know about. I really wish people would answer the question they're being asked rather than tell you what they think you want to know. The simple answer would have been: yes, the only way to see that chart is to press the cancel subscription button.
1 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”