Chinese Skill (similar to Duolingo)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Chinese Skill (similar to Duolingo)

Postby Expugnator » Sat Oct 17, 2015 6:09 pm

I've just completed Chinese Skill and although I've mentioned it a few times in my log I don't think it got attention enough compared to Duolingo which is mentions all the time. Chinese Skill is quite similar to Duolingo and thus it is rewarding because they managed to develop a fun and useful app to a language as unique as Chinese .

There is much room to improve, like more hanzi-assembling exercises, the English translations sometimes sound off and often you type in a better translation and it is considered wrong, but all in all I think it has a wise vocabulary choice with important themes. No wonder I am feeling more confident about speaking now, and it would often happen that I'd use a word uncertainly during a Chinese exchange just to meet it at a Chinese skill lesson the next day.

When (if) there is a Duolingo Mandarin course, it means there will be two similar courses which is as good as doing two editions of an Assimil or even more effective, for those who like such methods .

The app is available for iOS and Android for free.
4 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Chinese Skill (similar to Duolingo)

Postby rdearman » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:52 am

Good recommendation. I've been using it for a couple of months and it is quite nice.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

solocricket
Orange Belt
Languages: My good languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (B2), Italian (reading knowledge)
Languishing Languages: Dutch (~B1), Icelandic (delapidated passive intermediate skills), Yiddish (basic passive), Japanese (smattering of reading knowledge, lots of vocab, maybe I'll get back to it someday)
Studying: Polish (A1)
Wish List: Chinese, Urdu, Russian, Arabic, Hebrew... yep
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=5502

Postby solocricket » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:21 pm

Thanks for recommending this. I had downloaded it, but I wasn't sure of the quality, so I didn't spend much time trying it out!
0 x

amyhere
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Français (~C1), Deutsch (~C1, ÖSD B2), 中文 (~A1), Suomi (~A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1540

Postby amyhere » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:43 pm

I actually just downloaded it the other day and so far it seems to be quite good and not the bad quality knock-off that I expected. I'm quite impressed.
1 x
ZH: NPCR Books 1-2: 26 / 26 Assimil: 69 / 105 FSI Pronunciation: 7 / 7
SpoonFed Anki Audio Sentences: 829 / 8142

aabram
Orange Belt
Languages: Active: Estonian (N), English, Russian, Finnish
Passive: French, Spanish
In-between: Mandarin
Hit list: Lithuanian

Postby aabram » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:32 am

Has it been improved not to crash every now and then and not to spam me at random times with their ads? I tried to use it many moons ago but gave up because the program was so annoying on my phone. Hesitate to try it again... :(
0 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:38 pm

I used it on iOs, absolutely no ads. Not crashing either.
My phone uses Android, but I didn't try downloading it because I've already been through the whole tree anyway.
0 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”