Easy Persian resources

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
LundiHákarlsson
White Belt

Easy Persian resources

Postby LundiHákarlsson » Sun May 17, 2020 5:22 am

I have been looking for over a year for easier Persian resources. I have Teach Yourself Persian (with White cover), Beginner's Persian, Assimil's Le Persan, plus have watched a view YouTube video series for learning Persian.

All of them seem to go fast for me. I am not sure if it is the alphabet or just the syntax. It seems like I can go through the first two or three chapters, albeit with great effort and reduced speed. However, thereafter things become difficult, and I often just end up stopping since I keep having to look back at the previous chapters, then end up going so slow that I go nowhere.

Are there any textbooks or academic learning materials that go at a slower pace instead of what seems like an accelerated classroom course?
0 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Re: Easy Persian resources

Postby Doitsujin » Sun May 17, 2020 11:11 am

Have a look at the free Persian textbooks from the University of Texas.
Welcome to Persian of Iran Today
1 x

白田龍
Orange Belt
Languages: English, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, French, Persian, Arabic, Mandarin, Japanese.

Postby 白田龍 » Sun May 17, 2020 12:44 pm

I remember having had this difficulty when starting Persian, I worked it around by working with more courses and progress studying one chapter from each, having thus lot more examples and a lot more repetition. I used using Assimil, Routledge, Teach Yourself and others in parallel.
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun May 17, 2020 1:16 pm

How's your Czech? (I know you list it under "beginner" on your profile, but I don't know how up to date it is) There is a rather new coursebook Současná hovorová perština i pro samouky, by Silvia Suto. It focuses on the colloquial and daily language and looks like it should be very learner friendly.
0 x

mcthulhu
Orange Belt
Languages: English (native); strong reading skills - Russian, Spanish, French, Italian, German, Serbo-Croatian, Macedonian, Bulgarian, Slovene, Farsi; fair reading skills - Polish, Czech, Dutch, Esperanto, Portuguese; beginner/rusty - Swedish, Norwegian, Danish

Postby mcthulhu » Mon May 18, 2020 9:00 pm

How about www.easypersian.com? Lots of small, easily digestible lessons.
1 x

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Tue May 19, 2020 4:24 am

John Mace - Teach Yourself Persian remains the best overall introduction. It's the older TYS book. It does not have audio, which is its only drawback, but its systematic approach to the alphabet and each grammar point with a minimal vocabulary make understanding the basic precepts of the language almost easy. I've surveyed dozens of introductory courses and none measure up in my opinion. I think Assimil is a great course to go through once you know how to read - just make sure to scratch out the transcription since your eyes will probably still gravitate towards it.
3 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue May 19, 2020 4:50 pm

David1917 wrote:John Mace - Teach Yourself Persian remains the best overall introduction.

I have a copy of TY Modern Persian by John Mace - is this the same one? ((First printed 1962 | Corrected edition 1971 | Seventh impression 1977)

0 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

David1917
Blue Belt
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Tue May 19, 2020 7:49 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
David1917 wrote:John Mace - Teach Yourself Persian remains the best overall introduction.

I have a copy of TY Modern Persian by John Mace - is this the same one? ((First printed 1962 | Corrected edition 1971 | Seventh impression 1977)

That's the one. It's in any of the pre-white TYS variants. I have the one you pictured, the blue/yellow hardback, and the black larger sized paperback. How/why I ended up with the 3 I have no idea, but I can't say I'm mad about it.
1 x

ASEAN
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Thai (A0)

Postby ASEAN » Fri May 22, 2020 8:40 am

0 x

Gordafarin2
Orange Belt
Current focus: Mandarin (A2), Italian (A2)
Maintaining: Persian (B2), Esperanto (B2), Spanish (rusty B1-2)
Dabbled: ASL, French
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17156

Postby Gordafarin2 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:11 pm

Have you given the Pimsleur course a look? That's how I got started with Persian, albeit a long time ago. It's hard to tell from your post what in particular you are having trouble with - but at the very least, it's audio-only so you don't have to worry about reading. And I find the Pimsleur approach really works for me personally - starting from full phrases to boost your confidence. Plus lots of repetition to ingrain good pronunciation from the start.

There's also the Chai and Conversation podcast which covers colloquial spoken Persian (so it might be a sound different to what you've learned so far).

Seconding EasyPersian, and I also really like PersianDee as a grammar-focused free resource.
0 x
Persian... 10 novels: 4 / 10

Mandarin...
4000 words: 4000 / 4000 / 2000 characters: 1640 / 2000

she/her

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”