Speak Dutch (Modern Dutch, A First Year College Level Audio Lingual Dutch Course)

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Speakeasy

Speak Dutch (Modern Dutch, A First Year College Level Audio Lingual Dutch Course)

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:18 pm

I am opening a new discussion thread on the subject of "Speak Dutch". In response to my questions concerning this language course, fellow Forum Member "ownerzeff" provided the following information:
ownerzeff wrote:It is right here: http://eric.ed.gov/?id=ED024029

Unfortunaltey, I have no experience with the book itself. I was just searching for audio lingual books in general in HTLAL and in one of the threads I read it by chance. After that I googled it and found it on eric. I have glanced at it and it is certainly FSI style.

Furthermore, http://www.iu.edu/~celtie/dutch_archive.html, here there is the audio but copyright restrections apply for them so I have no way to open it, since I am not a registered user.

I hope it helps.

And I replied as follows:
Speakeasy wrote:Hello Ownerzeff,
Thank you for your reply as well as the links to the materials. I am nonplussed by my lack of success in locating these files through my own searchs; merci beaucoup!

Fellow Forum Member "daristani" has sent me an Email commenting on the subject of "Speak Dutch" textbook and audio files. As a follow-up to our exchanges (yours, mine, his), I will open a new discussion thread on "Speak Dutch" as I will be asking the Director of the Indiana CeLT to release the audio recordings to the public and I would like the discussion recorded separately. Thanks again for your comments and, once again, my public thanks to daristani for his support.

I have sent an Email requesting that the above-mentioned audio recordings be released to the public. The possibility exists that the copyright to the textbook, which is freely available on ERIC, and the copyright to the audio recordings, which are subject to restricted access on the CeLT, are held by different persons/organisations. Thus, while we can hope for a favourable outcome, there is no guarantee. My thanks, once again, to "ownerzeff" and "daristani".
2 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: Speak Dutch (Modern Dutch, A First Year College Level Audio Lingual Dutch Course)

Postby aokoye » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:56 pm

The book is clearly still in copyright, at least in terms of years past publication, but I wonder if it's a case of the US government releasing the textbook on their own terms in regards to making it free for people to download. Even if the tapes held the same copyright I don't think make them automatically free to the general public.
0 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Speakeasy

Re: Speak Dutch (Modern Dutch, A First Year College Level Audio Lingual Dutch Course)

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:38 pm

In response to my request to remove the restriction on these recorded materials, the Center for Language Technology (CeLT), Indiana University advised me that they could not find specific copyright information pertaining to these audio materials and, quite naturally erring on the side of caution, considers that if a copyright was registered for these materials, it would still be in effect. Thus, the materials remain restricted to registered students.

In an attempt to seek authority for the release of these materials, I have sent a request to the publisher of the textbook, Calvin College, in the person of Frederik Meijer, Chair in Dutch Language and Culture at the college. If Mr. Meijer is not in a position to authorize the release of these materials, I will abandon this small project. .

You win some, you lose some.
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:18 pm

Would anyone happen to have the audio files for "Speak Dutch (Modern Dutch: a first year college level audio-lingual course for the Dutch language)"? While used copies of the course books are still available on the Internet, I have been unable to locate a source for the accompanying audio cassettes. As I remarked above, Indiana University hosts the sound files on their CeLt website, but will not release them to the public without specific permission to do so from the holder of the copyright. Unfortunately, my four requests to the publisher, Calvin College, requesting that they either grant the requisite permission or provide information on how I might locate the audio cassettes, have gone unanswered!
0 x

diplomaticus
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)

Postby diplomaticus » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:21 pm

http://www.worldcat.org/title/speak-dut ... c/14515739

Perhaps someone lives near Oberlin? 20 cassettes seems like a nice chunk of material.
0 x
Petit a petit, l’oiseau fait son nid.

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”