French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:
Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, Modern Greek, Tamil, Sinhalese, Malayalam, Welsh, Arabic

Re: Audio lingual language programs

Postby n_j_f » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:54 am

Speakeasy wrote:
n_j_f wrote: ... Spoken Language Services ... Indonesian course ... their last catalogue before disappearing seems to have deleted this ...
And I thought that I was a pack rat!!! :roll:

I must admit, I had to look up "pack rat" which describes me perfectly! :lol:

Speakeasy wrote:
Daristani wrote:J ... I don't think we can be certain that the mere inclusion of a course in the Spoken Language Services' list of offerings necessarily means that they actually ever marketed it. I say this because ...
I agree with Daristani. I ordered "Spoken Polish" from Spoken Language Services and it turned out to be an exact copy of "Beginning Polish" by Alexander Schenker. It is quite possible that Spoken Language Services’ listing of "Spoken Indonesian" was actually a copy of a course that was not part of the original series which was published during the Second World War under the auspices of the USAFI (United States Armed Forces Institute) for which Spoken Language Services claimed to hold the copyright.

The SLS website did state that they had filled out their catalogue with some FSI courses as well. Spoken Persian at least is an FSI course and I believe Spoken Sinhala and either Spoken Norwegian or Spoken Swedish (or perhaps both) had their origins elsewhere.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:29 am

n_j_f wrote: ... had their origins elsewhere.
Roswell ???

Roswell Saucer Crash With Airmen & Dead Alien
Roswell Saucer Crash With Airmen & Dead alien 2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:01 pm

peterbeischmidt wrote:In case anyone cares if anything came out if it, it turned out that the library had thrown away the cassettes without updating their catalogue.

Where could I find these tapes besides a library that hasn't thrown them out?
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:47 pm

eido, upon reading your post, I referred by to PeterBeischmidt’s comment above, and Googled “Japanese Language Patterns Nihongo ban vols 1 & 2” for which a reported set of 74 one-hour audio-cassettes were recorded. I had a few hits indicating that Anthony Alfonso also authored “Japanese language patterns. A structural approach” for which the year(s) of publication, 1966 and 1971, fit very nicely into the period when the audio-lingual method was still very popular. One of the listings indicates that the publisher was “Sophia University L.L. Center of Applied Linguistics”: http://www.worldcat.org/identities/nc-l%20l%20center%20of%20applied%20linguistics%20sophia%20university%20jochi%20daigaku/

My understanding is that Sophia University (https://www.sophia.ac.jp/eng/) is a private Jesuit research university in Japan, with its main campus located near Yotsuya station. Presumably, or perhaps only hopefully, they would have (might have) a copy of the audio recordings in their archives. Obtaining a copy of the complete set of course manuals, too, represents a challenge. Good luck with your quest! Finally, should you get your hands on the complete set of materials, perhaps you could ask the university if they could provide permission to host them on the Yojik website (whine, pout, push, strong-arm, finagle).

PS: While in the process of bookmarking this discussion, I discovered that I had previously bookmarked a source for both publications mentioned above (memory failure): http://www.trussel.com/jap/jbooks01.htm#166

PSS: The last time I communicated with PeterBeischmidt, which goes back about a couple of months, he was in the midst of preparing for major international relocation. So then, as he might not be following the activities on the forum, should you intend sending him a Private Message, let me know and I will send him an Email drawing his attention to your PM.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:11 am

The Fluent Tibetan audio mentioned on the first page can be found here:

https://www.shambhala.com/fluenttibetan/
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:13 am

Speakeasy wrote:Obtaining a copy of the complete set of course manuals, too, represents a challenge. Good luck with your quest! Finally, should you get your hands on the complete set of materials, perhaps you could ask the university if they could provide permission to host them on the Yojik website (whine, pout, push, strong-arm, finagle).

I actually found a set of the two volumes in excellent condition on eBay, but together they're $160 and I was told that's a lot. (Damn me and my inaccurate valuing of money, especially when it comes to language materials.) They also are available on Abe Books, but for a higher price. The only thing I can't find are the tapes, which I suppose I will contact the university for. Here's hoping they know what I'm talking about, and don't mind being emailed in English. I'm not good at using formal language like you, @Speakeasy. I can't use a nice word here or there to persuade :P

I did just buy the Korean books mentioned on this thread previously, the ones by Francis Park. I got a pretty decent price on the first three. The fourth is priced astronomically, nearly as much as a brand-new college textbook. I guess that makes sense as the description on Amazon says this series of books was once used in colleges. But still, $150 dollars or whatever for a book on older Korean literary and journalistic language is a lot! I'll see if these older books are for me. If not, I'll have a nice relic.

Do we have a thread that's just dedicated to people's favorite language resources, barring a limit on what language is allowed? There are all sorts of beginner's guides on Reddit for Korean or Japanese, and amateur reviews on content or products like books and podcasts, but never anything of depth. We can never have another @Speakeasy! But it'd be amazing to have a resources recommendation thread with detailed reviews. I don't know what it'd look like, though.

EDIT: Oh gee, I can't just email them. The library only has a phone number to call, nothing else. And I imagine they'd answer in Japanese. :shock: But I don't know. I wonder how else I'd contact them.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:34 am

eido wrote: … I'm not good at using formal language like you, @Speakeasy …
Read: stilted, lifeless, turgid, pedantic, devoid of any charm whatsoever. In high school, I found my own writing style so embarrassingly suffocating that, being too ashamed to read my assignments aloud in class when called upon to do so, I would tell the teacher that I had forgotten my homework in my school locker and that I would retrieve it and submit it the end of the classroom period. It has earned me some very caustic Private Messages on the forum to which I reply, as politely as possible, that I share my critic’s aversion to my writing style, explaining that I do not write the-way-I-do either “on purpose” or “out of arrogance” and suggesting that they unfriend me on the forum: the wiser ones heed my advice. ;)
2 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:00 am

eido wrote: … The only thing I can't find are the tapes, which I suppose I will contact the university for. Here's hoping they know what I'm talking about, and don't mind being emailed in English … EDIT: Oh gee, I can't just email them. The library only has a phone number to call, nothing else. And I imagine they'd answer in Japanese. :shock: But I don't know. I wonder how else I'd contact them.
Hang on, help is on the way (maybe)!

Assistance Requested in Communicating with Sophia University (Japan)
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&p=138970#p138970
0 x

Random Review
Green Belt
Languages: En (N), Es (int), De (pre-int), Pt (pre-int), Zh-CN (beg), El (beg), yid (beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 75#p123375

Postby Random Review » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:39 am

Speakeasy wrote:
eido wrote: … I'm not good at using formal language like you, @Speakeasy …
Read: stilted, lifeless, turgid, pedantic, devoid of any charm whatsoever. In high school, I found my own writing style so embarrassingly suffocating that, being too ashamed to read my assignments aloud in class when called upon to do so, I would tell the teacher that I had forgotten my homework in my school locker and that I would retrieve it and submit it the end of the classroom period. It has earned me some very caustic Private Messages on the forum to which I reply, as politely as possible, that I share my critic’s aversion to my writing style, explaining that I do not write the-way-I-do either “on purpose” or “out of arrogance” and suggesting that they unfriend me on the forum: the wiser ones heed my advice. ;)

I'm not sure that's true. As someone who initially found your style quite irritating, I must say that having got to know you better (as much as you can know anyone online), I now find it quite charming. I wouldn't want you to change it even if you could. It's a part of you.
1 x
German input 100 hours by 30-06: 4 / 100
Spanish input 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
German study 50 hours by 30-06: 3 / 100
Spanish study 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
Spanish conversation 100 hours by 30-06: 0 / 100

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:14 am

Speakeasy wrote:
eido wrote: … The only thing I can't find are the tapes, which I suppose I will contact the university for. Here's hoping they know what I'm talking about, and don't mind being emailed in English … EDIT: Oh gee, I can't just email them. The library only has a phone number to call, nothing else. And I imagine they'd answer in Japanese. :shock: But I don't know. I wonder how else I'd contact them.
Hang on, help is on the way (maybe)!

Assistance Requested in Communicating with Sophia University (Japan)
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=17&p=138970#p138970

Contact https://www.linkedin.com/in/reginald-le ... -23998915/ who may have a copy without going all the way to Japan. (He did a review on Amazon and mentioned the tapes.)
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”