Yojik is under attack

All about language programs, courses, websites and other learning resources
Ericounet
Yellow Belt

Yojik is under attack

Postby Ericounet » Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:47 pm

Hi,

my server Yojik is under attack since yesterday. I shutdown the web server, so no resources for the moment.

Some people also are downloading the whole site ... 220Go and it's a lot of trafik.

Will re-activate it a bit later in this week. (with more protections ... and limitations)

If someone wants a copy of the site (data), just contact me: there are more efficient methods to do that (and I'm not against copies of the site)

Sorry for the interruption.

Eric
14 x
administrator of fsi-languages.yojik.eu;
French(N), German, English, Russian.
Chinese and Korean beginner

Speakeasy

Re: Yojik is under attack

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:23 pm

Eric, thank you very much for your diligence and for your continued service to the community of language learners. You, along with a handful of HTLAL members, gathered, digitized, and hosted an absolute treasure house of language materials, including those of the FSI which, at the time, often sold at prices in the neighborhood of $1,000 US or more per basic course. Owing to a degree of over-familiarity which has developed following years of unfettered, straightforward access to these materials, some people (clearly, none of them are members of this forum) fail to properly appreciate the effort, not to mention the personal expense, that you and others deployed building and maintaining the Yojik archive. Bravo et … bon courage!
11 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:11 pm

In the meantime, you can access archive.org's backup of the site or alternatively Darren Kenny's FSI language site
1 x

Ericounet
Yellow Belt

Postby Ericounet » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:23 am

Hi,

the Yojik is back ... I put some speed limitations on big files (the archives in facts) ... tell me if it works.

Best regards

Eric
3 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:59 am

Hello, Eric. Thank you so..o..o..o..much for this! I checked the Yojik website and everything seems hunky-dory*.

*hunky-dory, adjective: free of trouble or problems.
As far as I understand, the origin of “everything is hunky-dory” derives from American sailors’ visits to a red light district by the same (transliterated) name. :shock:
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:12 pm

Ericounet wrote:Hi,

the Yojik is back ... I put some speed limitations on big files (the archives in facts) ... tell me if it works.

Best regards

Eric

Cool, thanks.

I'm about to start a collaborative project to get the FSI and DLI materials into a more usable (and compact!) format.

The first stage will ask users to identify "landmarks" in the PDF files and audio files, which I will then split into sections and upload on my site. In the first instance, would you be OK with me linking directly to the files on your site for the first stage?

Otherwise I'll have a lot of uploading and reuploading to do when I split the files (my current hosting won't let me run python server-side, so I'll be extracting the data and doing it on my PC in batches, then upload the split files).

The data will be absolutely free, so you'll be able to host the results of the project on your site too, if you want.
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:44 pm

You could use AWS S3 storage. Also, you can run server side python on AWS.
0 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Ericounet
Yellow Belt

Postby Ericounet » Tue Mar 17, 2020 10:47 am

Cainntear wrote:

Best regards

Eric

Cool, thanks.

I'm about to start a collaborative project to get the FSI and DLI materials into a more usable (and compact!) format.

The first stage will ask users to identify "landmarks" in the PDF files and audio files, which I will then split into sections and upload on my site. In the first instance, would you be OK with me linking directly to the files on your site for the first stage?

Otherwise I'll have a lot of uploading and reuploading to do when I split the files (my current hosting won't let me run python server-side, so I'll be extracting the data and doing it on my PC in batches, then upload the split files).

The data will be absolutely free, so you'll be able to host the results of the project on your site too, if you want.

hi,

just check: https://git.yojik.eu

I did a LOT of work on digitazing FSI and DLI stuff.

All free.

You can create an account on it.

And you can link to the files on my website, of course.

Best regards

Eric
2 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:02 pm

Ericounet wrote:hi,

just check: https://git.yojik.eu

I did a LOT of work on digitazing FSI and DLI stuff.

Wow, that is a lot of stuff.

I'll make a point of aiming at courses you haven't already done.

And you can link to the files on my website, of course.

Brilliant, thanks!
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:41 am

my server Yojik is under attack since yesterday. I shutdown the web server, so no resources for the moment.

Some people also are downloading the whole site ... 220Go and it's a lot of trafik.

Will re-activate it a bit later in this week. (with more protections ... and limitations)

If someone wants a copy of the site (data), just contact me: there are more efficient methods to do that (and I'm not against copies of the site)

Sorry for the interruption.

Eric

This may well have happened because Apache is serving your directory structure from /languages/ down.
I've just scraped the website structure through it -- note, I said the structure, not the content! but it used to be a problem making directories publicly viewable as you'd get malicious crawls of it.
0 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”