James29
Blue Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Spanish (C1-ish)
French (Beginner)
Portuguese (Thinking about it)

Spanish Idioms Frequency List/Dictionary

Postby James29 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 2:09 pm

Is anyone aware of a resource (book or list) of Spanish idioms that are organized in order of frequency similar to a frequency dictionary? If not, what are the best resources for learning the most common (100-200) Spanish idioms? I have some great resources, but they contain way too many idioms. I'd like to learn the most common ones first.
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Spanish Idioms Frequency List/Dictionary

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:41 pm

I don't think you will find this (I hope I'm wrong) because creating a word frequency list is relatively straightforward - one grabs a lot of text to create a corpus (a few books, newspapers, wikipedia, what not) and you have a program that count words (and groups grammatical variants) - voila! A frequency list!

Idioms don't often appear in written text - they may be oral expression - local-regional dependent and low register. The real idioms of Chile differ a lot from those of Mexico.

However, what you may be able to find is a base that has a limited number of frequently understood idioms and work off of that. It won't be a frequency analysis but it will focus on those that are frequently understood.

Here is one that I've previously shared - I find it hits a good number of well known and often used idioms.

http://www.spanish-learning-corner.com/ ... ons-p.html
4 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:49 pm

I googled 'common Spanish idioms' (without the quotes) and got several hits of short lists of idioms and espressons.

This sort of search works for other languages, too, obviously, including the elusive Pashto.

About: Spanish turned up a few as well.

Whether these are the most frequent phrases I can't say.
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

extralean
Orange Belt
Languages: English N
French C1
Spanish B2
Italian A2
German A1
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1283

Postby extralean » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:22 am

zenmonkey wrote:I don't think you will find this (I hope I'm wrong) because creating a word frequency list is relatively straightforward - one grabs a lot of text to create a corpus (a few books, newspapers, wikipedia, what not) and you have a program that count words (and groups grammatical variants) - voila! A frequency list!

Idioms don't often appear in written text - they may be oral expression - local-regional dependent and low register. The real idioms of Chile differ a lot from those of Mexico.

However, what you may be able to find is a base that has a limited number of frequently understood idioms and work off of that. It won't be a frequency analysis but it will focus on those that are frequently understood.

Here is one that I've previously shared - I find it hits a good number of well known and often used idioms.

I don't suppose you have a similar thing for French?
0 x
: 53 / 52 53/52 Book Challenge. Reading: Ourania - J.M.G Le Clezio

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:12 pm

extralean wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:I don't think you will find this (I hope I'm wrong) because creating a word frequency list is relatively straightforward - one grabs a lot of text to create a corpus (a few books, newspapers, wikipedia, what not) and you have a program that count words (and groups grammatical variants) - voila! A frequency list!

I don't suppose you have a similar thing for French?

It's your lucky day - There are actual books for these - Sky my Husband! takes a good look at some and there is a large database for French:

http://www.expressio.fr/toutes_les_expressions.php
They have a top 50: http://www.expressio.fr/palmares.php
3 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:19 pm

For a humorous take on Spanish Idioms from Spain take a look at this article en El País- ¿Por qué “mojamos el churro”? and the English version Why do the Spanish S#!* in the Sea.

Of course there's Spanish and there's Spanish. How many of these would ever be heard or understood outside Spain I have not a clue. I doubt they are the most common either but I will be ordering a copy of the trilingual (ES, EN, FR), illustrated to humorous effect, book Con dos huevos.

5 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:55 pm

Never ask the Spanish-speaking grocer, "¿Tienes huevos?" and never refer to cool weather in a Spanish-speaking men's room by saying, "Pretty chilly."
1 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:54 pm

iguanamon wrote:I will be ordering a copy of the trilingual (ES, EN, FR), illustrated to humorous effect, book Con dos huevos.

Oh wow, that looks like a Spanish version of a book I loved as a kid, A Chocolate Mousse for Dinner. (The early signs of language-nerdy were so clear, in retrospect. ;))
2 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

languagecrawler

Postby languagecrawler » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:10 pm

There must be one for Spanish because here is a good one for French:
Top 1001 French idioms explained (huge 1000-page book): Les 1001 Expressions préférées des Français:
http://amzn.to/1OmqeIa
2 x

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:46 pm

I was browsing the Wordreference forums the other day and I came across this thread which may have something for you.
2 x

Return to “Language Programs and Resources”